Estes Pro Series II at Hobby Lobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bought a Ventris today...tubes are approx .031 thick, it can use RMS(29/40-120) cases, standard estes nose cone plastic, nylon chute similar to a top flight chute, and an optional engine block. mine will likely not end up sporting a fancy roll pattern. the crings and fins are lite ply(but they appear to be unwarped. the list of reccomended engines was not visible from outside the package(I found it in small print on the instructions). not to keen on the multi-lingual instructions(I understand the reasoning...just not my cuppa). and an elastic shock cord approx 1/2" x 96" (guess I don't have to change this one :)).
rex

Last edited:
These are the times (reading this thread) Im not so happy living in the boonies.
Other than that,I love living in the boonies.
It would cost around $70.00 with the price of gas now to get me to Hobby Lobby and back to the boonies.

My local HL finally got what appeared to be a few bags of Pro Series II wadding, a few packs of the Sonic igniters, a single F26-6FJ motor and one each of the Leviathan and Ventris kits.

Fixing to grab the Leviathan if I can print a 40% off coupon somewhere. My ink cartridges are dried up.:eyeroll:

It was reported in a similar thread on YORF that the two Hobby Lobby stores in the Seattle area are not planning to carry these. *sigh*

The Kennewick WA HL had them, so don't be surprised if the Seattle stores end up with them I assume they would have the same delivery chain. At least one can hope!

I haven't seen any pictures posted yet. Here is the Ventris:

A copy of a post I did for another site:

Here are the pictures:

The Ventris is a 29mm payload rocket. Would be a nice double egg lofter!

IMG_0443.jpg

Nice nylon parachute. Not excited with the elastic shock cord. The plastic motor retention is nice. Not Aeropac nice but certainly less expensive!

IMG_0448.jpg

The body tubes are nice thick paper. the motor tube is nice and sturdy. Plastic nosecone and transition are well molded without a lot of flash.

IMG_0446.jpg

The fins are lasercut from 1/8" ply and have a pleasing shape. Looks like a cool rocket. I say that the parts are the equivalent to LOC. I don't see any reason why this rocket couldn't be flown with many H motors.

IMG_0444.jpg

Now to build it!

The Kennewick WA HL had them, so don't be surprised if the Seattle stores end up with them I assume they would have the same delivery chain. At least one can hope!

Thanks for that thought Derek. You're right - one can hope. In the meantime there's HobbyLinc and AC Supply. The latter has all four in stock, plus all the motors and the igniters - all at 40% off list.

you'll have to; make the 'payload bay' about 4" longer or cut the end off either(or both) the nose or transition(to fit 2 eggs). there isn't a lot of space in there. I note that the instructions call for gluing both the nose and the transition to the 'payload bay'

These are the times (reading this thread) Im not so happy living in the boonies.
Other than that,I love living in the boonies.
It would cost around $70.00 with the price of gas now to get me to Hobby Lobby and back to the boonies.

Wow! You are really out there huh? Round trip to the hobby lobby is about $30 for me with gas at $3.75. Still way to high to make a dedicated trip. I was in Corpus Christi last weekend so I went to all of the places that I needed to go while there. The hobby lobby had nothing in the way of Pro Series II stuff so I used my coupon on epoxy.

I figure I have plenty of time to get the new Estes goodies. I don't need to be the first kid on the block to have it.

Every time I go to Corpus Christi or San Antonio I thank my lucky stars that I live where I do. Them ppl r crazy in the cities.

I had a look at the New Estes Pro Series,I'm not that impressed with the quality for the price.After building Madcow and LOC rockets in that price range you really see the difference in the quality.I'm not trying to start anything and not putting down Estes but the parts supplied and the high price don't compare to the 2 companys I've bought rockets from.Just my lame opinion.That being said,with the 40% coupon offered from Hobby Lobby the price isn't that bad.Again I'm not trying to start a war of words,everyone has their favorite venders and those are 2 of mine.Sorry to anyone I have offended.cjp.:eek:

Fixing to grab the Leviathan if I can print a 40% off coupon somewhere. My ink cartridges are dried up.:eyeroll:

If you have a cell phone with internet access, you can bring the online coupon up on your phone screen at checkout and they will honor it.
(At least they do here in Orlando!)

If you have a cell phone with internet access, you can bring the online coupon up on your phone screen at checkout and they will honor it.
(At least they do here in Orlando!)
They do here in Indiana too. My local HL had two of the kits, igniters, and 3 or 4 (can't remember which) of the SU 29mm motors. I used the coupon on a motor :smile:

After reading all the Hoopla about the pro series being at Hobby Lobby I made a special trip there last week but found nothing and returned empty handed. Today I was in need of paint for a birdhouse I was making with my 6 year old granddaughter so off to HL again, about a 15 minute drive. Making my way toward the cheap acrylic paint for the birdhouse I decided to peak in the rocket aisle again. Bingo! One remaining Leviathan hanging there...I grabbed it quick before any other lost looking guy came my way. No other pro series kits but they did have the new motors and igniters. So happy with my find I was just getting in line clutching my 40% off coupon when I remembered about the birdhouse paint... oops! A little while later I was out the door with my new Levithan for just $32...whoo Hoo!

I also scored a Leviathan at 40% off. Got it for $38.15 including sales tax.:D

The apartment complex where I live has a media room with two computers with internet access and a printer so I went in there and printed out two coupons.

Today I plan to return with the other 40% off coupon to grab the only F26-6FJ motor they had to use for the Leviathan's maiden flight.:wink:

Went to Hobby Lobby last evening for some testers red paint to repaire my Maxi Alpha 3 and Fat Boy.

Saw this in the rack

Estes_Ventris_Hangtag.jpg

and threw it in my shopping basket.

I used the 40% coupon on it as well :cool:

So now I've also got an Estes Pro Series kit in my fleet. It will be converted for dual deploy recovery.

Went back Thursday and got the second (and last) F50 on the rack (they only had two F50 motors and a Leviathan on the rack when I went in Tuesday - they had nothing the week before -just a bunch of empty pegs). Since I usually work long hours out of town, I can usually only get there on my day off (they're closed on Sunday which is my other day off). Luckily, Saturday was a light day and I got off work early enough to get ther before they closed - still no restock on anything, so I got that Leviathan. Hopefully they'll get a restock by Tuesday and I'll be able to find some different motors. Our club is having a contest next weekend and hopefully I'll get to fly one of these!:p

The fins are lasercut from 1/8" ply and have a pleasing shape. Looks like a cool rocket. I say that the parts are the equivalent to LOC. I don't see any reason why this rocket couldn't be flown with many H motors.

I put the first two flights on my Argent this weekend. Flight 1 was an Aerotech H268 Redline; beautiful fast flight! Flight 2 was an Aerotech H220 Blue Thunder. Equally sweet flight. The Argent was built stock except I doubled the length of (elastic) shock cord. These birds make nice high flyers on H power!

-Eric-

Uh-oh!:eek: And here I thought you were a 'low power only' dude!:tongue:

Pretty soon we are going to hear of you planning on getting your Level 1 cert!:roll:

Went to Hobby Lobby last evening for some testers red paint to repaire my Maxi Alpha 3 and Fat Boy.

Saw this in the rack

Estes_Ventris_Hangtag.jpg

and threw it in my shopping basket.

I used the 40% coupon on it as well :cool:

So now I've also got an Estes Pro Series kit in my fleet. It will be converted for dual deploy recovery.

Uh-oh!:eek: And here I thought you were a 'low power only' dude!:tongue:

Pretty soon we are going to hear of you planning on getting your Level 1 cert!:roll:

I still am :)

Honestly, I didn't want to buy it. I skipped it when I was in the store the first time around. But at $14 I just couldn't resist the second time around.

Woohoo! Small restock at local HL - I got an F26-6 this time. Unfortunately, that was the only thing they got in (two F26 motors and two more packs of igniters). Grabbed one of the igniter packs too - that gives me 12 igniters, two F50s and one F26 motor to go with my Leviathan. Hopefully I can get something built before the weekend (we have a contest Sat & Sun).

Finally made it into the local HL here and found out they are now stocking the Pro series stuff. They had most of the motors and the new igniters, but both the pegs for kits were empty. Looks like they will stock the Leviathan and the Ventris kits, I just got there too late....
I talked to the guy that stocks that section, he says they will only stock one kit at a time unless there is more demand. You would think that by putting more kits out, they would be able to tell how popular they are....

I just stopped at a HL in Avon, outside Indianapolis IN. I got a Leviathan and a QCC Explorer. I had the wife and kids along to each use a 40% coupon. The only motors where F26-6 motors so I didn't get any of those.

Wondering what a H128W will do in the Leviathan?

Should be a really fun rocket!

I just stopped at a HL in Avon, outside Indianapolis IN. I got a Leviathan and a QCC Explorer. I had the wife and kids along to each use a 40% coupon. The only motors where F26-6 motors so I didn't get any of those.

Wondering what a H128W will do in the Leviathan?

Should be a really fun rocket!

I was at that very HL today, at lunch time! I bought some Sonic igniters. Passed on the single F engine hanging there, and drooled a little over the big birds. I need to find a local club or bigger field.

Marc

I was in the other side of town the other day on business so I stopped in the local HL for a look, actually I was looking for D12-3's. I spotted a couple of these kits hanging there. I don't recall the names but the price on one of them was $60. They didn't have the motors I was looking for, and I was in a hurry so I didn't do much looking around but I didn't see any motors for these kits.

I was at that very HL today, at lunch time! I bought some Sonic igniters. Passed on the single F engine hanging there, and drooled a little over the big birds. I need to find a local club or bigger field.

Marc

We've got a regional contest down at Launch Crue Saturday and Sunday, Marc. You're more than welcome. If you can't make it this month, we'll have another regional on May 19th and 20th.

:D Thanks! I always appreciate the invitations!!

My family life puts a crimp on a multiple-hour drive to get to a launch. When a window opens up for me, I've got maybe 2-3 hours total (there, launch, and back...). Things are always busy around here. This weekend my wife has a friend coming into town. I'll keep the May dates in mind, though...

Marc

We didn't get there until late afternoon. Glad you didn't but out the store! :wink:

Went to HL last night they have the Ventris and the Leviathan some 29mm motors but didnt see ignitors or wadding, unfortunately all the other rockets they carry are smaller ones. They stopped selling all the D and E motor rockets. Picked up a leviathon for my 12 yr old nephew, I helped him with his science project about rockets and he won 3rd place and he got straight As again. I hope to build it with him before May's Launch.

Back