Estes Pro Series 2 Rockets completed. Argent - Nike Smoke - Partizon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjstech

Reaction score
Wow.
I have finally completed these Estes Pro Series 2 Kits. They have turned out amazing and I just gotta share. I used red and black pin stripe from auto parts store. The Orange on the Argent is from Aerovoe it is Allis Chalmers Orange Gloss (151). The Smoke has ACE Premium Paint+Primer Sunshine Yellow and Orange, which went on my 5.5" kit also. The Nike decal will be placed on later this week. The Partizon purple is Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer Gloss Purple 327899. The pictures just don't do them justice.

proseries2.jpg

Now I want to get the last few Pro Series 2 kits. Just gotta see if anyone has them for cheap since they are OOP.

Hope you enjoyed as well.
Mark

Very nice job. They fly pretty darn good too. Good luck with your flights and also finding a MDRM?

Wow.
I have finally completed these Estes Pro Series 2 Kits. They have turned out amazing and I just gotta share. I used red and black pin stripe from auto parts store. The Orange on the Argent is from Aerovoe it is Allis Chalmers Orange Gloss (151). The Smoke has ACE Premium Paint+Primer Sunshine Yellow and Orange, which went on my 5.5" kit also. The Nike decal will be placed on later this week. The Partizon purple is Rustoleum 2x Ultra Cover Paint+Primer Gloss Purple 327899. The pictures just don't do them justice.

View attachment 376164

Now I want to get the last few Pro Series 2 kits. Just gotta see if anyone has them for cheap since they are OOP.

Hope you enjoyed as well.
Mark
I just finished a Partizon, I tried to go with the Estes theme using Krylon purple 2x primer, those nose cone came out 'stippled'. I also used 1/8" red Art Tape, next project I will seek out automotive pinstripe. This picture does no justice but here she is;0503-142006.jpg

My finish work is nowhere near as nice as mjstech's , but I am trying. I have a Ventris that I am prepping for paint. I could use any and all finishing tips so I guess I will scour this site. Maybe I can use one of my Pro series II rockets (have a finished Leviathan also) to get a level 1 certification. I need to find a launch group in the WNY area (Buffalo). Any and all help greatly appreciated. I have rediscovered rocketry from my youth and am excited about the advancements in mid to high power. I have an original Estes Maxi brute V2 fitted with 29mm motor tube as well as that spectacular Pershing 1A nose cone from late 70's. I would like to possibly build a new Pershing or sell the nose cone for more parts to make a scratch build. Anyone interested in nose cone, let me know, I can send pictures. Sorry to hijack thread, Should have started my own. Once again, spectacular work by mjstech!

Thanks everyone.

My finish work is nowhere near as nice as mjstech's , but I am trying. I have a Ventris that I am prepping for paint. I could use any and all finishing tips so I guess I will scour this site. Maybe I can use one of my Pro series II rockets (have a finished Leviathan also) to get a level 1 certification. I need to find a launch group in the WNY area (Buffalo). Any and all help greatly appreciated. I have rediscovered rocketry from my youth and am excited about the advancements in mid to high power. I have an original Estes Maxi brute V2 fitted with 29mm motor tube as well as that spectacular Pershing 1A nose cone from late 70's. I would like to possibly build a new Pershing or sell the nose cone for more parts to make a scratch build. Anyone interested in nose cone, let me know, I can send pictures. Sorry to hijack thread, Should have started my own. Once again, spectacular work by mjstech!

Welcome to the forum Ted.

Painting tips...go slow...use a good shaken spray paint at the correct temps. Don't chase a paint run with more paint(we've all done it). Stop painting, let it be, sand it off with 400-600 grit sand paper when FULLY dried and give it a light final dusting of paint after cleaning off the tube.
Those are the two Pro Series 2 kits I am looking for. :)
Did you install them with just the motor mount and retainer, NO motor block? (I did on mine) If so, you can run multiple sized 29mm hardware/motors for L1. There are lots of people who use them for L1, add a little nose weight if needed, easy peazy.
As far as groups and WNY. I grew up in Orchard Park. Was there for my first 18 years, then moved to AZ in summer 1999 after HS. I was just there for all October, for my Dad and still have family there. I grew up doing rockets with my Dad (still in Angola) and younger brothers in the early 90s, all LP stuff, not with a group or anything. Then stopped around 14, and started early 20s and late 20s and early/mid and now late 30s I have pretty much been doing them on and off. Including Many, Many HP and more MP. And tons of LP. I got HP certified in 2010 went from E sized launches right to an I motor. Probably ~50 LP/MP to build still. And like 5 HP rockets to build. I still have a few from back in the day also that we built together that are way OOP.
I have seen people posting about on the forum WNY rocket and launches. Here some info I found quickly, reach out. They can give you more info or ask around on the forum.
https://www.nar.org/find-a-local-club/nar-club-locator/
https://www.nar.org/local_club/nar-of-buffalo-and-western-ny-urrg-765/
https://urrg.us/

The Maxi Brute V2 and Pershing 1A have been on my list to find/buy or clone one day too. How much would you do the nose cone for?

Mark

Last edited:
So, I just couldn't help myself and got the start to the Leviathan from a yard sale posting here, minus nose cone, fins, motor tube and centering rings.
I had the nose cone and two 1/4" centering rings, the fins are easy to make and had some 29mm tube around too.
This is the end result. I used Dark Blue for the accent color because I had it, I'm not gonna be painting anything with the green used in the stock images and it's my favorite color. I used Rustoleum Metallic oil rubbed bronze for the upper section. And I think it looks better than going basic gloss black. The angle of the picture makes it look like its too much of it on top, but I measured stock images and went off that and in person its just like Estes images. The black stripes are 1/4" automotive pin striping.

IMG_20190327_232604.jpg

Maybe onto a Mega Der Red Max clone next... I just need to cut fins and centering rings and would get decals from stickershocks. I have everything else in house. And Animal Works is 5 mins from my house now, they sell a clone too.

Last edited:
Looks beautiful. I like how you painted fins. Is that Rustoleum Metallic oil rubbed bronze an actual color or a technique for adding to the sheen by actually rubbing oil on the sprayed surface? Sorry, but my rattle cans usually come from the local hardware store and selection is very limited. Glad you found your Leviathan, whats next, the Ventris?

Hey Ted, it's an actual spray paint from Rust-Oleum. There was a sale here at the True-Value hardware stores (both independently owned) on the cans earlier this month.

Looks like the Star Orbiter is still available at AC Supply.

Nice builds!

Back