Estes Pro Series 2 Nike Smoke and the forward motor thrust ring?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billeblurzz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm building the 29mm Nike Smoke and there is no real mention about the supplied forward thrust ring. What have you guys done about installing it? Are there 29mm motors that don't require a forward thrust ring? If I used Estes black powder 29mm motors I think it would be needed? Thank you for any advice!

Don't install it. Nearly all composite 29mm motors have integrated thrust rings. Any BP motors can have one added by wrapping tape around the aft end of the motor. By not installing a thrust ring in the MMT, you have the option to use various length motors (E through I)

Wildman's Second Law : No Motor Blocks!

That Smoke is going to want >40N thrust. I wouldn't attempt a flight with the Estes BP 29mm motors.

I concur with leaving out the motor block. My PSII NS with mods weighs 22 ounces with out motor. The Aerotech F67-4 is a perfect motor for it. I have also used a 6 second delay. As noted above, it is one of the motors designed with a thrust ring.

Chas

Back