Estes pro launch controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Localx

Reaction score
Hi to all,
I was digging around my local hobby shop and found an Estes Pro Launch Controller. It was covered in an inch of dust and I picked it up for $25.00. I have a couple of questions about it.
The outside of the box and directions state it can be used to fire cluster motors, and describes in detail how to attach the micro clips. My question is this, the box that the controller it came, and the directions, describe two red and one black wire (even shows a picture). The launch controller that was in the box has 30 feet of heave duty wire with only one black and one red wire with a clip on each. Is the additional clip and or wire an add on to the kit? I cant see how you would fire a cluster motor with only one black and one red wire that was supplied.:confused:

Originally posted by LocalX
Hi to all,
I was digging around my local hobby shop and found an Estes Pro Launch Controller. It was covered in an inch of dust and I picked it up for $25.00. I have a couple of questions about it.
The outside of the box and directions state it can be used to fire cluster motors, and describes in detail how to attach the micro clips. My question is this, the box that the controller it came, and the directions, describe two red and one black wire (even shows a picture). The launch controller that was in the box has 30 feet of heave duty wire with only one black and one red wire with a clip on each. Is the additional clip and or wire an add on to the kit? I cant see how you would fire a cluster motor with only one black and one red wire that was supplied.:confused:

There were two versions of the Command Controller.

The original version was created in order to ignite multiple D12/E15 motors which powered the Pro Series kits. That's the reason for the three sets of clips.

When Estes bought out North Coast Rocketry, the Command Controller was modified for single composite motor ignition.

I guess the packaging/instructions were leftovers from the original production run.

Rats, I thought I came across something old. I'll keep it just the same. Do they still make the batteries for this thing?

Originally posted by LocalX
Rats, I thought I came across something old. I'll keep it just the same. Do they still make the batteries for this thing?

$25 - that's a GREAT deal! I think I paid $34 for mine about 2.5 years ago.

I picked up 2 R/C rechargeable 7.2V NiCD batteries for mine. Works great for launching clusters. I've used it almost 2 years now and only had to recharge it once.

Jetra2 (Jason Toft) modified his to work with a 12V battery. I think there is a report in an old MRN (Model Rocket News) that offers instructions on how to modify it. I'll have to dig it up.

It is the best launch contoller I have ever used. I paid $50 for mine and it was worth every penny. Paid a bunch for two 7 VDC model car racing batteries and installed them. That was a year or so ago. I too have only recharged one time.

I picked up a second one as part of a starter kit - so we have two now and take both out to the local launches. They launch ANYTHING, no problem. Love them!

If you can get your hands on one - it's a great investment.

Murray

Is there any problem with using a 7.2v 3300 mah NiMh battery in this launch controller? Is there any advantage?

FWIW, these can be purchased at Radio Shack for $25.00, which is a very good price.

I have one that I bought on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $6.34, if I recall correctly. Then, later, I bought a 4.3 Amp-hour 12 V lead-acid battery with charger on clearance at Wal-Mart for $10.

This seems like a great combo for launching clusters, but I haven't used it yet.

Originally posted by Darian Rachal
Is there any problem with using a 7.2v 3300 mah NiMh battery in this launch controller? Is there any advantage?

FWIW, these can be purchased at Radio Shack for $25.00, which is a very good price.

For launching rockets, NiCd is slightly better than NiMh because NiCd has a lower internal resistance, so it can supply more current (amps), which is what allows you to launch bigger clusters. I have used both in my home-made controller and I didn't notice any difference for 1 an 2 motor flights, except that the NiMh is much longer-lasting (it is about 1500mAh, but my ancient NiCd packs are 600mAh).

Originally posted by m85476585
For launching rockets, NiCd is slightly better than NiMh because NiCd has a lower internal resistance, so it can supply more current (amps), which is what allows you to launch bigger clusters. I have used both in my home-made controller and I didn't notice any difference for 1 an 2 motor flights, except that the NiMh is much longer-lasting (it is about 1500mAh, but my ancient NiCd packs are 600mAh).

While technically true, this is kind of irrelevant unless you are launching ungodly clusters. A good 7.2V NiMH pack can easily supply 30A continuous and stay at 7V or so, and can give 100A spikes if needed. You really don't need more than a NiMH can give, and I prefer them because of the larger capacity.

I did R/C as a hobby before really getting into rocketry, so I have some experience with batteries. By far some of the best cells are GP 3300's. If you can get a 6 cell (7.2 volt) pack with those cells you can light ANYTHING, lol.
My local RadioShack has 7.2 volt packs of them for 25 dollars. A little steep, but well worth it.

Outasight: not quite true. They have some of the best capacity, and the best ability to sustain high current, but NiCd is better for small peaks. I would still get the 3300's though, as they will give you MUCH more capacity, and you don't need more than 30-40A anyways.

Back