Estes Pro II Launch Controller

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrap330

Retired Engineer, NAR # 76940
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After reading posts about building your own launch controller, posts on the Estes Pro II launch controller , unit price: $39.00 and knowing how poor the construction of the Electron Bean is, Can I have users who own the Pro II comment on the quality of the build? How effective is it? Did it every fail? If you use C batteries, how many launches do you get with Black Power and Composite motors?

And has anyone commented back to Estes about possible need for a fuse to protect LiPo batteries?

I have it and love it. I use a 3 cell lipo. Solid construction. Works perfectly on my dual motor rocket.

Since I am unfamiliar wit LiPO batteries , can you provide manufacturer, Model No of the one you are using? What did you purchase as a charger? Also did you buy on-line and if yes from what website.

The PSII controller is nothing like the cheap ones. It is plastic, but very solid. Ability to use it with either alkaline cells or a LiPo is nice. I would recommend it.

I should probably sell mine because I never launch on my own any more (club only), but I'm gonna hold onto it.

I have one of the PSII Launch Controllers.

Mine uses Duracell 'C' batteries.

I have used it for Estes Starters and AeroTech/Quest FirstFire igniters. No issues.

I have two of them and have had them for several years. One of them is my regular go-flying-on-my-own controller (and launched 17 flights yesterday). This particular one has a 3-cell 1250 mAh LiPoly inside, but it also works very well on a set of six Duracell Cs.

The other one is in with some launch gear and has been used on more than one occasion to bail out a TARC team whose own system was dead. I have fired most all igniter types, including the infamous Aerotech copperheads, with these controllers.

Not wanting to get into LiPo batteries I use C size NiMH rechargeables in my PSII controller - more juice than regular alkaline batteries, easier to recharge than LiPo batteries though they admittedly don’t have LiPo level performance it’s been more than sufficient for Estes BP motors and smaller Aerotech composites.

Not sure I agree NiMH is easier, just different. But yeah, they should have lower internal resistance than Duracell C cells for sure.

The PSII controller, even stock, is a great piece of equipment, especially at the recently lower price.

On that topic.... Does this PSII controller ignite F-G composite motors from Aerotech with the standard C batteries, or do you need the 11.1V lipo to ignite successfully?

Thanks

On that topic.... Does this PSII controller ignite F-G composite motors from Aerotech with the standard C batteries, or do you need the 11.1V lipo to ignite successfully?

Thanks

Since it’s the recommended controller for use with Estes PSII branded Aerotec composite motors I’d say yes but I don’t have any personal experience doing it.

Thanks
It really depends on which of the many different types of "initiators" that Aerotech has used that you have. It also depends to some extent on which Aerotech motor (which propellant).

The so called Sonic igniters that Estes sold for their rebadged Aerotech single-use motors worked reasonably well. They were designed for use with the 9V (six C cells) controller and actually burn through too quickly to ignite especially White Lightning (W) propellant when used on 12V club systems.

All that said, I have seen the PSII controller successfully start an Aerotech motor that was using the infamous Copperhead initiator while using C cells. I don't recall (it was several years ago now - and a rescue-the-TARC-team situation) what propellant it was. Blue Thunder (T) and the black smoky propellants (FJ) are easier to get started.

It really depends on which of the many different types of "initiators" that Aerotech has used that you have. It also depends to some extent on which Aerotech motor (which propellant).

The so called Sonic igniters that Estes sold for their rebadged Aerotech single-use motors worked reasonably well. They were designed for use with the 9V (six C cells) controller and actually burn through too quickly to ignite especially White Lightning (W) propellant when used on 12V club systems.

All that said, I have seen the PSII controller successfully start an Aerotech motor that was using the infamous Copperhead initiator while using C cells. I don't recall (it was several years ago now - and a rescue-the-TARC-team situation) what propellant it was. Blue Thunder (T) and the black smoky propellants (FJ) are easier to get started.

Thanks, thats great info! I will have to re-check which igniters the came with them. So are you saying these were made by Estes and later branded by Aerotech? I have a lot of white lightening and blue thunder, possibly a couple FJ.

I think I'll give it a shot with fresh set of C's. Have not used this controller before, and had a tough time finding this info on the net.

All the best

Thanks, thats great info! I will have to re-check which igniters the came with them. So are you saying these were made by Estes and later branded by Aerotech? I have a lot of white lightening and blue thunder, possibly a couple FJ.

No - the other way around. The composites sold as PSII motors by Estes are made by Aerotech.

I think I'll give it a shot with fresh set of C's. Have not used this controller before, and had a tough time finding this info on the net.

Yeah - don't cheap out on 'em. Duracells or comparable quality.

As I say, the W motors (especially if they have been around for awhile) will prove the most challenging to get lit, I think.

Back