Estes Porta-Potshot First Look

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
Estes#2145 Porta-Potshot
The next few photo's will give you a better idea of what the Porta-Potshot looks like. This kit is a one evening build.
I have not added the stickers to the finished rocket yet . Also note main body (pota-pot) is two half sections of beaded foam.The use of a white glue or CA foam safe glue is your best bet. I used Alene's tacky glue for this assembly. Paint is a waterbase craft. Paint name brand I used is Apple Barrel / color Cool Blue.
Photo below shows assembled Rocket. H 8"xW 6"fin to fin Porta-Pot is 3.125" square.

Kit retails for $18.99
Check Tower Hobbies.com or hobbylinc.com should have this kit in soon.

BAR
John

Photo #2 shows
Metal foil heat shield and inside of roof. Roof is two clear plastic sections. Also the shock cord and 12" parachute are packed in the triangular cut out . I'll be using a mylar chute.

BAR
John

Photo#3 shows
Bottom which also has a Metal foil heat shield the foil also covers the clear fins.

BAR
John

Photo #4 Shows

Back side of Porta-Pot with launch lug 5.75" long makes a nice vent pipe for display:)

BAR
John

Phjoto #5 shows
Inside of roof w/ Clay weight installed and shock cord & mount. I replaced rubberband w/ 1/4"elastic and added about 4".Mine is now 22" long. Our next Club launch is June 24th. will post as soon as possible.

BAR
John

Very nice! So, when's flight number 1? Hope it doesn't go like number 2...lol

Very KEWL JW!
I've had a couple on order for awhile now. Sure hope they get here soon. Very neat lookin model.

Beadfoam body in two halfs. Any chance one might do a little modifying to get the door to open??? With some work of course, perhaps with a Hotknife?:D

Originally posted by johnnwwa
... Also the shock cord and 12" parachute are packed in the triangular cut out . I'll be using a mylar chute...
I really think this model ought to have a streamer, preferably white... :D

-Paul

Dog-Barf 'wadding' would work for that...

Very... Unique. Or Not, depending on your point of view.

I got to see one of the pre release packages...does the card still carry the phrase "fly the crap out of it"?? :p

Originally posted by mrbusdriver
I got to see one of the pre release packages...does the card still carry the phrase "fly the crap out of it"?? :p

OH Yea sure dose"fly the crapout of it"

launch date on this one is June 24th.

FYI There is a 1/2" white streamer included w/ kit.

BAR
John

Placed an order with Red Arrow Hobbies for a Porta-Pot Shot on Wednesday, received it Friday, and here's the finished rocket:

porta_pot_shot_small.jpg

Is it just me, or is the quality of the parts in Estes kits really going downhill? The motor tube seemed very flimsy, and I also was not thrilled with the strength of the body tube.

It being a slow weekend, I decided to lessen the kit stash and built a couple of Estes E2X kits:

Alpha_III_small.jpg
Omloid_small.jpg

Originally posted by Vanel
Is it just me, or is the quality of the parts in Estes kits really going downhill? The motor tube seemed very flimsy, and I also was not thrilled with the strength of the body tube.

I agree...This kit also looks like it is in serious need of a motor upgrade. I'm thinking there ought to be plenty of room for a 29mm mount in there. :D Can you say G80? I knew you could.

-DAllen

Back