Estes Porta Pad II in OR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is that supposed to be? Your panorama frightens me.

Last edited:
@ TRFfan

That's pretty cool! Would you care to share how you did that? If you have the OR file I'd love to see it.

Thanks in advance.

Diggr

Is it...stable?

Or only if you shim one of the legs? :p

Last edited:
@ TRFfan

That's pretty cool! Would you care to share how you did that? If you have the OR file I'd love to see it.

Thanks in advance.

Diggr

I used a couple of phantom BTs along with some Freeform fin sets for the stands. The Blast deflector and Launch guide were made using an inner tube.

Nice! I've noticed that there's some people who are beginning to show some mad skills with OpenRocket, and now the teacher has become the student.

Now, if someone could score me a scan of one of the legs of the PPII (I need the leg root to be parallel to one edge of the scan), I'll see if I can sim the hollows of it.

Oh, and I'm not interested in the lightning version of the PPII, the old ones are IMHO the better looking of the two.

I think I could also sim up a Big Foot if someone wants to scan its leg, and the swivel.

Last edited:
Sorry, I tried to scan the legs of my PPII but my printer isn't working.

At first I thought it said Estes Porta potty.....I think the coffee needs to kick in.

After TRFfan posted the ork file I downloaded it and studied it. K'Tesh's comment regarding the legs got me to thinking, which I might add is not always a good idea. :wink:

I hacked up TRFfans file and adjusted dimensions so my tired old brain could keep track of the math involved. The first attempt looks like this:

Porta-Pad.jpg

And the OR file for those who want to look at it. Hope you find at least some use in it; it certainly was fun for me. Note: The OR file for the launch pad pictured above is Estes Porta-Pad II mod. I uploaded the other one in error and can't get rid of it now. Sorry.

Diggr

Attachments

• Estes Porta-Pad II mod.ork
    3.2 KB · Views: 101
Has anyone launched it yet???

Asked in jest (I think) and yet... among all the odd-rocs out there, has anyone ever actually made a launchable launch pad (or facsimile) before? Seems like it should be doable somehow, and would be truly ridiculous in the best possible way.

Asked in jest (I think) and yet... among all the odd-rocs out there, has anyone ever actually made a launchable launch pad (or facsimile) before? Seems like it should be doable somehow, and would be truly ridiculous in the best possible way.

NO! Asked for real!

In Openrocket of course, not in real life!

You know, just plug in a motor and run a Sim for the fun of it to see what kind of stats it spits out, not for any serious reason or because you would actually try to fly a porta-pad in real life.

You've got me thinking it would be pretty cool to fly one (or something that looks like one) in real life, that's all. :grin:

I actually flew the PPII (accidentally) a few years ago. Let just say that I forgot to take the launch cap off and the results were not cool. :blush:

You've got me thinking it would be pretty cool to fly one (or something that looks like one) in real life, that's all. :grin:

That's been a scratch idea I had considered many, many times. It would obviously have to be a rather substantial upscale, if one were to use BT50 (24mm) as the launch 'rod'. I have never scaled it, but I'd imagine the 'legs' (fins) would have to have about an 8' footprint.

I'd suppose a 13 or 18mm 'rod' would scale it down, but... Bigger is better!!

A few ounces of lead epoxied into the very top of the 'rod', rear eject 'chute, 24mm composite...I think it's doable :p

I think many of us have 'accidentally' launched a Porta-pad, why not do it ....on purpose?!

That's been a scratch idea I had considered many, many times. It would obviously have to be a rather substantial upscale, if one were to use BT50 (24mm) as the launch 'rod'. I have never scaled it, but I'd imagine the 'legs' (fins) would have to have about an 8' footprint.

I'd pay admission to see that one go. :y:

I'd pay admission to see that one go. :y:

Right?!

And launching from the 'away pads' it may actually look real! You'd have to put a 'dummy' rocket on it to add to the effect. Bury and launch it from a 3/6 or 1/4 launch rod in the ground, so you wouldn't see it...

Aw, man, that would be GREAT!!!

K'tesh, you got this?! Lol

A few ounces of lead epoxied into the very top of the 'rod', rear eject 'chute, 24mm composite...I think it's doable :p

I think many of us have 'accidentally' launched a Porta-pad, why not do it ....on purpose?!

You mean like this? :tongue:

View attachment 282644

I know that I can do a little "more"... I need a better scan than this image I found online and have started modifying...

Porta Pad II Leg demo.jpg

BTW... I've noticed that my name is somehow attached to the .ork file already in circulation. That is NOT an Estes Sizzler. :wink:

Last edited:
Back