Estes Porta Pad II in OR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was the original 2 piece rod 36"? Or is that just the 1/8"? I've never had the larger Estes rod. I've quit using the plastic launch pads long ago, and now use a 4' rod on my DIY halogen light stand pad.

I made it tall, so I don't have to bend down so far. I'm...old :(

Not that it would make much of a difference, but scaling up from a 3/16" rod, instead if 1/8" may help my 'height' issue :p

Was the original 2 piece rod 36"? Or is that just the 1/8"? I've never had the larger Estes rod. I've quit using the plastic launch pads long ago, and now use a 4' rod on my DIY halogen light stand pad.

I made it tall, so I don't have to bend down so far. I'm...old :(

Not that it would make much of a difference, but scaling up from a 3/16" rod, instead if 1/8" may help my 'height' issue :p

Here's what I found on Estes' website.

002243 - 1/8" Two-Piece Launch Rod Description

This 1/8 inch (3.2 mm) diameter launch rod is ideal for most standard engine powered rockets.
Fits the 2215 Porta-Pad II or 2239 Astron II launch pad.
Also works great when used as an alignment tool on model rockets that require two launch lugs.

Additional Information

Technical SpecificationsIncludes:
Launch Rod - 2 pieces
Each piece is 15 3/4" (40 cm) long
Total Length: 31 1/2 " (80 cm)
Launch Rod cap
Instructions and Warranty

K'tesh,

I've got the swivel mount for the PPII so I could take a pic of it. (FYI, it's the lightning bolt version)

K'tesh,

I've got the swivel mount for the PPII so I could take a pic of it. (FYI, it's the lightning bolt version)

I couldn't find my original one either.

Threw together a couple numbers this morning, and to upscale from a 3/16" 'rod' to BT5 tube (13mm) would only be...

7.7 feet tall, with 31.5" leg fins...?

You guys have no life ... and apparently I don't either. I just read all the posts and I'm anxious to see where this all ultimately leads. :pop:

You still looking for an original girder style PPII scan? I have one and might be able to get a scan of it.

The PPII Lightning Bolt (PPII/LB or LB) Swivel Mount is likely to be exactly like one of the older versions of the PPE. However it's black, and picking details out of a black on black image would likely be difficult. If I can get a scan of one of the older pad's mounts, I'd hope for one that is yellow or red. The PPE's Swivel Mount is silver, but besides the different Swivel Discs, I think it would work.

Photographs are not as useful as scans, it's extremely difficult to hold the camera in the exact angle that will ensure that there's no distortion.

You guys have no life ... and apparently I don't either. I just read all the posts and I'm anxious to see where this all ultimately leads. :pop:

😉

You still looking for an original girder style PPII scan? I have one and might be able to get a scan of it.

Jeff (McKailas Dad) got me a good shot of the legs (that's what I used to make my version of the .ork). I need to know how tall the hub is, how thick the hub's walls are, and how wide each of the horizontal "faces" are (where the legs attach). I'm guessing that if the hub is about 2" in diameter at the base. I would like to confirm that.

Again, if I can get a scan of the Swivel Mount, I'd be able to create a better version of this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was just watching "Model Rocket" videos on Youtube, and came across one where some folks launch their Estes something or other with the cap still on the rod, sending the pad for a brief 6-10ft. flight.
I won't link to it, since I don't want to embarrass anyone, but apparently it does happen.:rofl:

A......prototype..?!

Free cardboard, and just guestsmating on some parts....

Not YET to scale, but close ;)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455876722.423188.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455876814.009584.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455876926.148978.jpg

For now....P;

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455877892.156851.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455878091.053099.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1455878193.248612.jpg

I got an idea for a nosecone...but not yet fabbed.

These are all practice pieces for now, just for ideas. I'm thinking...

....foam board.

You do realize you're going to need to do a build thread for this don't you?

That is freaking AWESOME!!!

What did you call it...?

'The Away'...Porta-Pad upscale?

Good title? Eh..That'll work ;)

K'tesh, I'm going to need some measurements. You tell -me- what to cut, and I'll cut it lol...

Back