Estes Porta Pad II in OR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just re-installed Adobe something or other in order to re-install Java whatever, and now Openrocket works on this computer!!!

[EDIT] This was meant to let people know that I was planning on simming the PPII complete with the holes. Read on a few more posts, and you can see what I was actually able to do.[/EDIT]

Here's a little tidbit...

Riddle Fins.jpg

It's possible to do this. I know how. How do I know? I created it. So, how did I do it? Hint... Those are not "decals", and the only "trick" done outside of OR was to take two views of the fins and paste them together as one image. This IS something that you could build in OR.

Last edited:
I know that I can do a little "more"... I need a better scan than this image I found online and have started modifying...

View attachment 282659

BTW... I've noticed that my name is somehow attached to the .ork file already in circulation. That is NOT an Estes Sizzler. :wink:

Yeah...that's actually a *modified* estes sizzler...I didn't get the name off the OR file yet. :wink:

Yeah...that's actually a *modified* estes sizzler...I didn't get the name off the OR file yet. :wink:

"*modified*"?! Looks nothing like one... :wink:

BTW. I thought that it wouldn't be possible to sim the Bigfoot... Now I'm back to thinking that it might be possible again. However, I know that it won't be to the point of being "photo-realistic".

K'Tesh, are -these- the ones you're looking for?

View attachment 282671

Yup! I need a scan of one oriented just like you see in the image I attached. I also need to know the "root edge" length if possible.

Thicknesses of the outer dimensions, and the inner dimensions will also be very useful. I'm going to try to simulate it as accurately as possible.

Last edited:
Right?!

And launching from the 'away pads' it may actually look real! You'd have to put a 'dummy' rocket on it to add to the effect. Bury and launch it from a 3/6 or 1/4 launch rod in the ground, so you wouldn't see it...

Aw, man, that would be GREAT!!!

K'tesh, you got this?! Lol

The name of the rocket should be "Away Pad"... as that is what it'll be doing.

Yup! I need a scan of one oriented just like you see in the image I attached. I also need to know the "root edge" length if possible.

I'll get on it Boss!

I know my printer is out of ink, but the scanner should still work.

I can 'mic' any part you want as well as the scan.

My idea for "Away Pad" would have the launch rod actually be a completely hollow body tube and the real launch rod would travel up inside of it. Due to the size of the legs (depending on if this is HPR or not) it may be necessary for the rocket to be "assembled" on the pad, or at least one leg be assembled there. A "dummy" rocket could house the recovery gear.

Last edited:
"*modified*"?! Looks nothing like one... :wink:

BTW. I thought that it wouldn't be possible to sim the Bigfoot... Now I'm back to thinking that it might be possible again. However, I know that it won't be to the point of being "photo-realistic".

Try simming the aerotech mantis. :wink:

And launching from the 'away pads' it may actually look real! You'd have to put a 'dummy' rocket on it to add to the effect. Bury and launch it from a 3/6 or 1/4 launch rod in the ground, so you wouldn't see it...

OMG, the dummy rocket is the icing on the cake.

A "dummy" rocket could house the recovery gear.

Ha, crazy minds think alike.

This would be TOO AWESOME.

Hey, how about taking it totally into crazy-land: a two-stager where the "dummy rocket" is real, and launches as the second stage from from the flying launcher, which is the booster?

Dang, this is fun to think about. :roll:

OMG, the dummy rocket is the icing on the cake.

Ha, crazy minds think alike.

This would be TOO AWESOME.

Hey, how about taking it totally into crazy-land: a two-stager where the "dummy rocket" is real, and launches as the second stage from from the flying launcher, which is the booster?

Dang, this is fun to think about. :roll:

Yeah, the booster motor could be mounted in the stand.

K'tesh, I finally got it scanned.

I'm on the TRF app... I could set up a hotspot to my laptop (no wifi) to upload the scan but..2 questions, 1) What file format would you like? 2) Would it be easier for you for me to email it to you?

K'tesh, I finally got it scanned.

I'm on the TRF app... I could set up a hotspot to my laptop (no wifi) to upload the scan but..2 questions, 1) What file format would you like? 2) Would it be easier for you for me to email it to you?

.pdf or .png would do nicely. Email or just posting it here works.

Email sent....

Heck, now that I've got it scanned, I could import it into OR too and start my upscale ideas.

I may borrow more of Franks BG brilliance, and maybe use foam board and carbon rod to keep the bottom end light...

Hmmmm?

The original Porta-Pad had a 1/8 rod, and the legs were each 10.765" wide.

Was the rod 36" long?

I played with it for a just a few minutes in the OpenRocket scaling --

An upscale from .125 to a 24mm BT50 tube (rod) would require each of the legs (fins) to be 81.373" tall

Holy smokes! :p

Maybe I'll try the 13 or 18mm scaling later this afternoon, it's...late :/

EDIT - if in fact the original rod was 3 feet tall , the 24mm upscale would be....

OVER 22 FEET TALL?!

Last edited:
OK guys... Here's what I was able to do with the file... Thanks to Jeff's scans. To complete the file and make it even more realistic, I'd need a scan of the swivel so I could mount that to the hub. I could also use some clear images of the hub (with a ruler for scale).

I changed the components to PVC, though I'm guessing that the plastic is actually Polyethylene, or ABS. I'm sure that the blast plate is actually made from steel (otherwise mine wouldn't be rusting so bad).

This is a WYSIWYG file. There has been no image manipulation other than cropping the window.

Actually, I had intended to do something similar with the MDRF fins but got caught up in moving to China.

View attachment Estes Porta-Pad II (2215).ork

Last edited:
Amazing job K'tesh!

Now if we could get the LPR rocket we 'built' in our sim, to launch of of this? Oooorrr...

Maybe along with the flight graph, a simulated 3D launch, in Google Earth, at the launch location of our choosing?

Ok, that's pushin it lol

OK guys... Here's what I was able to do with the file... Thanks to Jeff's scans. To complete the file and make it even more realistic, I'd need a scan of the swivel so I could mount that to the hub. I could also use some clear images of the hub (with a ruler for scale).

I changed the components to PVC, though I'm guessing that the plastic is actually Polyethylene, or ABS. I'm sure that the blast plate is actually made from steel (otherwise mine wouldn't be rusting so bad).

This is a WYSIWYG file. There has been no image manipulation other than cropping the window.

Actually, I had intended to do something similar with the MDRF fins but got caught up in moving to China.

Ok, I'm looking at the OR file right now, and it looks very interesting....:wink:

guess I can't be much help, all I have is a port-a-pad, and a tilt-a-pad :).
Rex

K'tesh,

You forgot to put the Launch rod cap on the launch rod.

Here is the new file with it.

View attachment 282732

View attachment 282733

Ok... I did leave that off...

I've added in the Core Pin, modified the Swivel Mount, added the Wing Nut, and the Hex Head Bolt. Mind you, I don't have one in my presence so I'm guessing at things, but the effect is overall more accurate.

Attachments

• Estes Porta-Pad II (2215).ork
    4.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
guess I can't be much help, all I have is a port-a-pad, and a tilt-a-pad :).
Rex

I don't think I could sim anything that uses a lantern battery as a base... Oh, wait... *MAYBE* but I don't want to go there.

Oh, if anybody wants to do the lightning bolt version of the PPII or PPE, go right on ahead. I don't care for the look, and I ain't doin' it without compensation (read: large rocket kit, of my choosing, sent to me here in China... safely).

.....and I ain't doin' it without compensation (read: large rocket kit, of my choosing, sent to me here in China... safely).

Jim, I hate to call you out, but I get the impression you actually -enjoy- doing this :p

If I was as proficient as you, I know I would! I love working with OpenRocket, but quite often my OCD gets in the way. That rocket ain't gonna give two hoots at down to .5 grams weight and .001" measurement accuracy, it's no wonder I never get anything done! Lol

This version is very much improved...I think that this is the best that you can get. :D

BTW K'tesh, the launch rod cap inner diameter is 2 mm in your file, so I've adjusted it to 0 in this one.

View attachment 282757

Jim, I hate to call you out, but I get the impression you actually -enjoy- doing this :p

If I was as proficient as you, I know I would! I love working with OpenRocket, but quite often my OCD gets in the way. That rocket ain't gonna give two hoots at down to .5 grams weight and .001" measurement accuracy, it's no wonder I never get anything done! Lol

Oh, I do enjoy doing this. However, I don't like the lightning legs of the modern PPII/PPE. And I seriously need to get a rocket in my hands before I go completely bonkers.

BTW, it does tick me off that I can only get down to .001" accuracy. I'd like to get it down to .0001" accuracy. I tend not to worry about the weights though, as I'm (again) without a scale, and parts to weigh/measure.

This version is very much improved...I think that this is the best that you can get. :D

BTW K'tesh, the launch rod cap inner diameter is 2 mm in your file, so I've adjusted it to 0 in this one.

View attachment 282757

That was your cap... I just added to the .ork you posted in response to my .ork. It's all good though.

The .ork can get better though. With an actual scan of the swivel mount the shapes can be made that much more accurate. Also, the hub could be made "hollow". That said, we're closing in on the best that it could be done. The swivel mount from the PPII (back in the day of straight legs) or the modern (lightning legs) version are identical as far as I know. The only difference between the PPII and the PPE's swivel mounts that I can tell is the diameter of the holes in the swivel discs. I found it disappointing that Estes didn't add a 1/8" hole in the PPE's swivel discs, so it could be used for LPR rockets too.

Oh, and for the decals on the legs, I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm pretty sure that is beyond what can be done in OR at this time. For a similar reason the modern version of the Solar Warrior and the Photon Disruptor won't be able to get decals applied to their tip fins.

[EDIT] I've made the Hub hollow, and added "fin tabs" to the legs. I've also added a simulation of the tab for locking the Swivel Mount to the Hub. Thicknesses of these parts are just a guess though.

Attachments

• Estes Porta-Pad II (2215).ork
    4.8 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back