The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott Chase

Fly29mm
Reaction score
My Estes Porta Pad E blast deflector was in a shambles after many F motor launches. So I created the Pad you see now. Not only do I get better liftoff but the heaver blast plate makes the Estes Launcher hunker down in a stronger stable stance.
Blast deflector on lauancher.jpg Blast deflector Cut Out.jpg

When the pad was new the launch rod clamp was strong enough to handle launch after launch no problems.
While I had the blast deflector off I checked the launch rod clamp. Expoxy porta pad e.jpg I moved it from left to right and found to much movement for safe launches. As you can see I put epoxy around the clamp base. When you do this be careful not to get the epoxy on the swivel that lets you adjust you launch elevation. You should also swap out the bolt and wingnut that allow you to adjust the friction on the rod clamp. I bought mine at Ace hardware and was impressed with how much better the steel is. One last thing the 1/4" three piece launch rod will get out of alignment put the rod together and run you finger nail over the screwed in portions of the rod you will feel the overhang on the connections. To correct this problem sandpaper the rod until it's smooth again. Checking the rod is super important because your launch lugs will get snagged on the launch rod when snags occur your rocket will fly in unexpected directions and endanger you, the crowd and could set anything around you on fire.
That's it ready for another season of safe high impulse F rocket launches.

Attachments

• Blast deflector Cut Out.jpg
    Blast deflector Cut Out.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Back