Estes Porta-Pad E - An Accident Waiting To Happen

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really like trashing Estes either --- it's a great company. But this pad was really disappointing to me. It is just too flimsy. The plastic parts are too flexible to hold an adequate length of 3/16" or 1/4 " steel rod for E rockets of any size. And the fact that the plastic mount for the rod is on top of the blast deflector is dumb. I also agree that the flimsy, weak wing nut is no good.

The one advantage it has is the "Porta" part of the name --- it is very portable.

But now, after launching a few rockets perfectly off a rock-solid Jawstand, including a few rocket and engine combos that always went awry off the PPE, I definitely think the PPE is not adequate for larger E powered rockets.

I would think that once graduating to larger rockets, one usually builds one's own pad. I prefer to build my own GSE, part of the hobby fun, for me anyway. The PortaPadE is probably just fine for everything it is designed for (I've never used one), but some common sense on setup and use should come into play without having to have instructions to use it. Again, by the time one starts flying bigger models, this stuff should be second nature? Or are people just skipping the beginners rockets all together and starting with the larger stuff? I can definitely see that happening.

Everyone that I have flown rockets with since we were kids through adulthood, have built our own pads after getting the hang of flying rockets. Isn't it part of the path to L3? It should be, but then there are people who start with Mid power rockets.

Oh, and instead of tape, which a heavy rocket can jam it's lug on, use a clothes pin or a shaft collar ring, but if you use a clothes pin, don't clip it to the engine hook! (Yes, I saw that done a couple of weeks ago).

Last edited:
OK, last night I finally assembled the PortaPad E I bought some time ago - and I definitely agree about the poor design. Why Estes leaves plastic above the blast plate on any launch pad I do not know.

It seems to me the Portapad E would be largely fixed by using one of those Odd'l ceramic blast cups - but they are out of production at the moment. On that subject, would it be reasonable to just add a pie plate over all these pads with exposed plastic? Either the disposable aluminum kind, or a more sturdy metal version, drilled through the center to accommodate the right size rod. Wouldn't this take the pressure off many all of these questionable pad designs, by letting an easily replaced part take the bulk of the heat? Alternatively, a ceramic tile used in the same way?

I have always slide the blast deflector over the rod then dropped either a spent casing or a short PVC pipe section over that. The blast deflector is kind of sloppy that way, but still works fine. But, I would encourage you to think beyond and perhaps make a launch stand.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

I have always slide the blast deflector over the rod then dropped either a spent casing or a short PVC pipe section over that. The blast deflector is kind of sloppy that way, but still works fine. But, I would encourage you to think beyond and perhaps make a launch stand.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

IIRC, I don't think putting the plate over rod on top of the plastic rod holder is an option with the Porta Pad E.

Pie plate will burn through instantly if aluminum and quickly if thin steel.

Use a clay flowerpot.

I use that when launching my grandkids LP rockets, along with a ceramic blast deflector, or a metal (angled) blast deflector. Also use the clothes pin from time to time.
I have a Mantis pads from the 80's I still use for D, E and F motors.
For G an above I use rail buttons and rails.
Was just recalling my original wooden Estes pad that contained 4 d cell batteries that gave the pad some nice weight. We didn't have a blast deflector but the asbestos pad that came with the kit seemed to hold up ok.... Try that one today!:eyepop:

I use that when launching my grandkids LP rockets, along with a ceramic blast deflector, or a metal (angled) blast deflector. Also use the clothes pin from time to time.
I have a Mantis pads from the 80's I still use for D, E and F motors.
For G an above I use rail buttons and rails.
Was just recalling my original wooden Estes pad that contained 4 d cell batteries that gave the pad some nice weight. We didn't have a blast deflector but the asbestos pad that came with the kit seemed to hold up ok.... Try that one today!:eyepop:

https://www.mesotheliomalawyercenter.org/

For blast deflectors on our LPR pads I bought some 4" ceramic tile ($0.16 each and used the appropriate mastic to attach them to 4" squares of 3/8" plywood. Then used a ceramic tile drill bit to put a hole through the center. They slide over any rod up to 1/4". They probably cost $0.25 each and are easy to make.

Ok... I realize I'm dredging up one of my old posts, but I saw an original PPE launch pad on FB, and pointed out the flaws in the design, and pointed everyone to this thread.

Estes did redesign the PPE pad to improve it. The pad's hub was strengthened by adding a factory glued in piece of plastic on the underside of it to prevent flexing. This was the version they sent me to replace my damaged pad.

The currently available version has added standoffs to move the blast plate off the legs (and put the swivel under it). They also apparently changed the blast plate to have a simple round hole instead of the square hole that allowed the swivel to be mounted above it. And while the instructions on their site have also been updated to show most of the changes, the parts diagram still shows the square hole (but the assembly instructions show the round hole).

1647406656391.png1647406687327.png

I concur with K'tesh.
I was using an "old" style Porta Pad E some years back. E16 motor nozzle blew out on pad, motor and rocket stayed on pad and motor acted like a flamethrower burning a hole in the deflector and melting the plastic legs underneath. Hub was covered with an Odd'l egg deflector so no damage there. Plastic legs were still smoldering and burning long after the motor burned out.

1661192652527.png
1661192698421.png

Estes customer service replaced the old design with the new one.
Plastic supports snap into legs, deflector is now positioned above the hub, protecting it from exhaust blast and corrosion.
IMHO, the plastic hub is still a weak point. It snaps into the base, and there is too much flex with a heavier mid power rocket like the Mean Machine. It works but you get what you pay for in terms of durability and functionality. If you are looking for a mid power pad I would go straight to the Pro Series II pad or similar or build your own.
My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back