Estes Poll on new rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huxter

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Did anyone else get the "Ariane 5 vs Vega-C" survey email?

Only one question - which rocket would you like to see in the future? Apparently, Estes is looking to release an ESA rocket?

I voted for the Ariane 5 - the Vega is kinda wimpy...?

I got the email, and voted for the Ariane 5. It never occurred to me that I was just voting for the next plastic model, I hope that's not the case.

i think they're messing with us. i expect both rocket kits to be available in some format.

While I love builder's kits (and scratch building), sometimes a RTF model is a welcome change. I have so little time to build these days, and I have such a huge to-build pile, so a RTF is a way to get a new model flying quickly.

RTF = Static Display in most cases.
I tried one a few decades ago, and the way the shock cord was mounted it burned through the first flight.
I haven't seen anything lately of the RTF line, but hopefully the recovery system has gone through major upgrades than what I experienced.
They are a great way to get people interested in the hobby. But if their first flight fails, I don't think anything is gained.

I have no objection to the existence of those RTF models, I just have no interest in them for myself. I would think they incur significant tooling cost for Estes, presumably they have sold well enough that they're interested in producing more of them.

I have no objection to the existence of those RTF models, I just have no interest in them for myself. I would think they incur significant tooling cost for Estes, presumably they have sold well enough that they're interested in producing more of them.

Agreed. Most little kids want something already built as a gift. Then they get hooked, then they advance to kits, then they advance to modifying kits, then they advance to scratch building.

I too voted for the Ariane. Alas I think it'll be a RTF. I don't mind the newer RTF offerings ( except for the Blue Origin phallus 😵‍💫), If I want to fly a scale model, and don't want to risk something I've put hours of work into I'll fly one of the LEV* RTF offerings.
*LEV = low emotional value.

The molds for these Estes models are made in the PRC (China).

Several years ago I was speaking with someone who was having plastic parts molded in China. I asked him how long it took to pay off the mold costs. He informed me the mold was paid off with the first production run of parts.

Back