3D Printing Estes PNC-80BB Nose Cone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Hydrazine

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a 3D model of the Estes PNC-80BB nose cone that is designed to fit Estes BT-80 airframe tubing.

There are three files you can download. One is of the nose cone, one of the nose cone without the shoulder, and the third is the end cap which has a 4mm hole in it to allow you to add a screw eye or eye bolt.

Estes kits that use this nose cone:

Kit# 2018 Super Big Bertha
Kit# 2038 Alien Space Probe
Kit# 2093 Broad Sword
Kit# 2139 Fat Boy
Kit# 2165 Super Big Bertha (re-release)
Kit# 9719 Pro-Series II Super Big Bertha

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4689948

Not quite.

The NC-80B is the same as the PNC-80BB; they are the same plastic nose cone, simply with different names. It is an upscale of the PNC-80MS, which was made for the goony series, and replaced the PNC-60L as the current Big Bertha cone. Neither the 60MS or the 80B/BB are elliptical. They are a sort of squashed shape that is between elliptical and stretched hemispherical.

The BNC-80BB at eRockets is a balsa nose cone. Assuming the picture is accurate, that nose actually appears to be ellipctical, at the same 4" length. Next to a PNC-80BB, it will look slimmer and 'pointier'.

That is also what I noticed and theorized that the B and the BB were the same but had different PN's for some historical reason. I am a design engineer and deal with that crap all the time.

That is also what I noticed and theorized that the B and the BB were the same but had different PN's for some historical reason. I am a design engineer and deal with that crap all the time.

Regarding the different names and part numbers:

PNC-80BB PN 072080 is what is included in kits. It refers to the actual nose cone.
NC-80B PN 3168 is the name and Part number for a nose cone pack. The contents of nose cone pack 3168 is a single PNC-80BB (072080).

For further reference to nose cones, there is a great reference put together by John Brohm.
http://www.rocketshoppe.com/info/Estes_Nose_Cone_Reference_10.1.pdf

Back