Estes Photon Probe

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCIGS30

Reaction score
This kit came with my order from Estes for around 3 bucks, not a bad deal I think I bought a few. I cannot find the pictures of my build prior to painting, I think they were deleted. Any way built out of the bag and this time I used my Deluxe Materials Sand N Seal to seal the balsa. The large fins were sealed after gluing them to the body tube but the small fins were sealed before attachment. I brushed on 4 coats followed by sanding in between coats. For a non toxic sealer this stuff does pretty good. I did not use primer, just my Krylon white top coat, but I only was able to get one coat on before the weather changed. As soon as it stops raining I will spray another coat of white then the purple.

DSC_0274 (1280x509).jpg

DSC_0279 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0281 (1280x851).jpg

Looks very nice!

They were so cheap, I bought over 30 of them.

I bought a couple of these kits for $3.50 to build some pseudo "Hornets". Fun and cheap.

What do you do when the Photon Probe finds a photon? You Disrupt it, of course! (With a Photon Disruptor, the sibling kit)

With all the rain in S.California it has taken me some time to finally finish this easy build. I sealed the fins with 4 coats of Deluxe Materials Sand N Seal and finished by spraying Krylon white and purple, no primer. Once again I am impressed with the Deluxe Materials Sand N Seal for a smooth balsa finish. Aerogloss is my favorite but this is a close second. This stuff is nice because I can seal the fins inside when it is cold in the garage. Also I don't have to worry about getting the sealer on the fillets like I do with dope sealers. Aerogloss sealer provides a smooth finish but Midwest is no longer making their product. I have tried Sig sealer, thinned with different ratios and it does not come close to Aerogloss or Deluxe Materials Sealer. Brodak makes a sealer that I will try as a replacement for Aerogloss and will let you guys know how that works. I like to keep my builds simple since I have multiple hobbies going on at the same time. Working on my rubber powered kits, plastic models, rockets and RC kits. All my hobby builds are the same, keep it simple and clean.:wink:

DSC_0295 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0297 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0298 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0303 (1280x851).jpg

DSC_0307 (1280x851).jpg

With all the rain in S.California it has taken me some time to finally finish this easy build. I sealed the fins with 4 coats of Deluxe Materials Sand N Seal and finished by spraying Krylon white and purple, no primer. Once again I am impressed with the Deluxe Materials Sand N Seal for a smooth balsa finish. Aerogloss is my favorite but this is a close second. This stuff is nice because I can seal the fins inside when it is cold in the garage. Also I don't have to worry about getting the sealer on the fillets like I do with dope sealers. Aerogloss sealer provides a smooth finish but Midwest is no longer making their product. I have tried Sig sealer, thinned with different ratios and it does not come close to Aerogloss or Deluxe Materials Sealer. Brodak makes a sealer that I will try as a replacement for Aerogloss and will let you guys know how that works. I like to keep my builds simple since I have multiple hobbies going on at the same time. Working on my rubber powered kits, plastic models, rockets and RC kits. All my hobby builds are the same, keep it simple and clean.:wink:

Off Topic, but I used to build rubber powered airplanes when I was young. That looks like the Guillow's Chipmunk. The best flyers I ever had were 900 series kits. I still have a few rubber kits in the basement. Are there equivalent forums (fora?) to TRF for rubber power?

Off Topic, but I used to build rubber powered airplanes when I was young. That looks like the Guillow's Chipmunk. The best flyers I ever had were 900 series kits. I still have a few rubber kits in the basement. Are there equivalent forums (fora?) to TRF for rubber power?

Absolutely! My go-to is https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php. The other I occasionally check is https://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl.

I'm pretty sure I've seen SCIGS over at Hip Pocket too. Good crowd over there!

Here is one of my stick-and-tissue jobs. Scratch built '30s type glider, 20" span:

IMG_20151029_210851.jpgIMG_20151029_210812.jpg

Yes it is a Guillows Chipmunk built out of the box with no modifications. I have flown freeflight rubber models for years and used to compete, but sadly local clubs have gone away. You cant compete with the cheap RTF RC foam planes from China. Since it is cold I also used Eze Dope brush on vs my normal regular dope that way I could apply the dope inside.

Yes it is a Guillows Chipmunk built out of the box with no modifications. I have flown freeflight rubber models for years and used to compete, but sadly local clubs have gone away. You cant compete with the cheap RTF RC foam planes from China. Since it is cold I also used Eze Dope brush on vs my normal regular dope that way I could apply the dope inside.

I built airplanes when I was a kid. Got into rockets through my daughter. Where's the fun in RTF? Building is fun...
When I was young, I built with Testor's Wood Cement and used dope for tissue. I can't believe the fumes didn't make me sick. I wonder if I could build with wood glue now, like I use for rockets.

The Google found me https://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2; I assume this is you? https://balsamodels.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3588&sid=d7bace53ca755870c0efe422fcc1ec4c (not stalking you, I promise!)

Sorry to derail your thread.

Last edited:
Back