"Estes" Photo Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
Figured I'd start a dedicated "Estes" photo gallery.

Post your "Estes" rocket photos!
Any and all "Estes rockets" welcome!

(For a bit of 'self gratification', and to give insperation to others!)

2 of my Fat boy,
One of my "grey goose" Patriot,
And the old Aim-9 Sidewinder Kit (never flew too well. Retired after about 4 launches & 'pranged' constantly..)

space day 3.jpg

space day 4.jpg

here are some of mine.

Glalatic Taxi
Astron Avenger ( recently restored needs paint)
A.R.V. Condor (Needs Paint)
Crusader Swingwing glider ( need to make decals)
Intercepter E

Copy of glatictaxi port.jpg

100_1922.jpg

Astron Avenger.jpg

CRUSADER SWINGWING GLIDER 2.jpg

Intercepter E.jpg

Here are pics of my Canadian Arrow, modified into a "tank stretched extended range Kriegsmarine V-2". Near the end of World War II, Germany was working on launching rockets from submarines, even launching some small artillery type rockets from a surfaced submarine in the Baltic Sea. There were also plans to launch V-2's from submarines, but they were too big for the available submarines, so a plan was hatched to launch V-2's from submersible "cans" towed across the ocean behind the submarine. Near the US coastline, a chamber on the back end of the "can" would be flooded, causing the can to bob upright in the ocean, and the missile would be fuelled. Then it would be launched from the 'floating silo' and the can would be cut loose and the submarine would submerge for the trip home. The V-2's limited range required the submarines to have to penetrate too far into US coastal defense zones, and the submarine towing the can was horribly slow and inefficient, though some submersible cans were built and tested for seaworthiness.

Von Braun's rocket team had been working on increasing the thrust of the V-2 rocket motor, and had they had another year, along with better guidance and a logical tank stretch for increased range, this could have been a reality-- V-2 rockets landing on New York...

Yall have a good one! OL JR :)

v2 pic 2.jpg

V2 pic 4.jpg

From the title of this thread I thought we were going to see a group photo of Barry, Christine, and Mary.

Now that I'm over that, Luke your Canadian Arrow bash is incredible!

From the title of this thread I thought we were going to see a group photo of Barry, Christine, and Mary.

Now that I'm over that, Luke your Canadian Arrow bash is incredible!

Uh, I can give you Barry, Ann, and Mary. Will that do? :)

and full disclosure: all these came from other sources (i.e. various places on the web), so if you don't feel comfortable with that, by all means delete them.

estesBarryTunick.jpg

estesAnnGrimm.jpg

estes saturn 1b rchta.jpg

ok here are some more of my estes rockets

The tandom X starter set ) Amazon and Crossfire)
cherikee
Cherikee D
Mars Snooper II

the Crossfire screams into the air by the way

AMAZON.jpg

CROSSFIRE.jpg

CHERIKEE.jpg

CHERIKEE D.jpg

Mars Snooper II.jpg

I guess by now you know what company i started with hunh

Viking
Sissorwing transport
Satern V (Yes I know she still needs her role pattern)
Nova Payloader (still need to oder the plastic tube)
Two generations of the Alpha III

SISSORWING TRANSPORT 1.jpg

Satern V.jpg

NOVA PAYLOADER.jpg

gen1 and 2 Alpha III.jpg

Attachments

• VIKING.jpg
    VIKING.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 25
here are yet some more :D

The astron Space Plane
Bullpub Agm 12-b
Bsg Viper
Cluster bomb
Patriot

ok ok this is it for now :>

astron space plane 1.jpg

BULLPUB-A.jpg

Bsg Viper2.jpg

Cluster Bomb.jpg

PATRIOT.jpg

Last edited:
Since w're showing off.

Let's face it that's why we are here!

The first pic has one Centuri clone in it.

Then some classics.

The third pic was from NARAM 43 when this nice gentleman walked up to me and asked for my Trident.

Now the fourth pic was taken by...believe it or not Carl from SEMROC! Carl was the RSO for NARAM 43.

meandVernfixed.jpg

Well, seeing that the nice pic of Mary Roberts was with a large (1/45 scale IIRC) Saturn-IB Estes considered releasing that would have used up to G power (setting a precedent for a MPR bird in this thread), and Sandman’s photo of the “nice gentleman” with the Trident....i'm posting two pics I had held back from posting.

Myself with a 2X SkyDart at an “undisclosed location” in 2000 (when NARAM was in Canon City, CO).

And myself and that same “nice gentleman” from Sandman’s photo, last summer with my 4X Astron Spaceplane and his 1X Golden Astron Scout.

To show a current kit that is not a scale-up, a Baby Bertha I built. It is pretty much my current workhorse sport/demo 4-fins-and-a-nose-cone type rocket.

The last pic is a Big Bertha I built around 1980. A bit beat-up but still flyable, though the Baby Bertha has mostly taken over. In this pic, the Big Bertha was rigged to carry 4 styrofoam gliders up with it. Paint pattern is all-yellow with fluorescent red-orange added up front, fading away to yellow towards the back, and the same for the fins. The original red-orange nose cone was lost, you can see some scratches in the red-orange paint that shows the yellow under it, and there is a popped spiral seam from a failed ejection nose-first crash.

- George Gassaway

EstesSkyDart_George.JPG

GeorgeVern.jpg

IMG_5229.jpg

IMG_2120.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few....

My daughter and her buddy hanging out with the "original" Estes, Vern and Gleda. Big Bertha. Big Daddy. Fat Boy. Outlander.

MGC and V.JPG

Big Daddy.jpg

Patriotic Fat Boy.JPG

Last edited:
A few more....

Renegade. Guardian. Stormcaster, Porta Pot Shot and Alpha. Fat Boy, Storm Caster, Mercury Redstone, Viking, Alpha 3 and Guardian.

Copy of Guardian.JPG

Copy of Linnea, Caroline and McKenna 1.JPG

Copy of DSCF0276.JPG

Here are some of mine that my parents gave to me when I was home at Christmas.

Alpha III about 1995 (maybe) with the other picture they gave me of my brothers and I after recovery, it was cold that day and likely my first rocket flight.
Alpha III (possible 1st launch).jpg
Astrocam 110 launch, I have more successful pictures of this rocket in the air than ever came out
Astrocam 110 launch.jpg
Solar Sailer II under chute, last the chute about a year ago when the 10ish year old tape spots gave way on deployment, and I can't decide if I want to rebuild the engine mount.
Solar Sailer II.jpg
V2 launch, the parachute wadded this flight and my youngest brother got under it and caught it like a football, only damaged was a broken fin. Lost the nose cone to shock cord failure in Nov 2008, found a Canadian Arrow kit to replace the cone and increase my spare part supply
V2 at creve Coure 2001 launch.jpg
My 1st Mean Machine's only flight. It was a little windy that day and the pad wasn't staked down as good as it should have been. A gust caught it as I pushed the button and it took off at a safety code violating angle and traveled about 200 yards horizontally before ejection at about 15 feet in the air. Lesson always stake the pad down well and say no when it is windy.
Mean Machine Creve Coure.jpg

Here are pics of my Canadian Arrow, modified into a "tank stretched extended range Kriegsmarine V-2". Near the end of World War II, Germany was working on launching rockets from submarines, even launching some small artillery type rockets from a surfaced submarine in the Baltic Sea. There were also plans to launch V-2's from submarines, but they were too big for the available submarines, so a plan was hatched to launch V-2's from submersible "cans" towed across the ocean behind the submarine. Near the US coastline, a chamber on the back end of the "can" would be flooded, causing the can to bob upright in the ocean, and the missile would be fuelled. Then it would be launched from the 'floating silo' and the can would be cut loose and the submarine would submerge for the trip home. The V-2's limited range required the submarines to have to penetrate too far into US coastal defense zones, and the submarine towing the can was horribly slow and inefficient, though some submersible cans were built and tested for seaworthiness.

Von Braun's rocket team had been working on increasing the thrust of the V-2 rocket motor, and had they had another year, along with better guidance and a logical tank stretch for increased range, this could have been a reality-- V-2 rockets landing on New York...

Yall have a good one! OL JR :)

SO very groovy!
If memory serves you had a thread on this build before TRF went toes up.
Where did you get the decal or would you be willing to share the file?

The first picture is my entire model rocket collection circa April 1972.

The second contains (L-R): WAC Corporal, Citation Patriot, Ranger, A-20 Demon & Arcas.

Next, an original Scissor-Wing Transport.

Fourth, one of many launches for my Maxi-Alpha 3.

Lastly, my well-worn Orbital Transport.

Estes SWT.jpg

Orbital Transport1.jpg

SO very groovy!
If memory serves you had a thread on this build before TRF went toes up.
Where did you get the decal or would you be willing to share the file?

Sure... Yes I did a build thread on it... It's probably still over at YORF or RP since I generally crosspost :)

I did the decal myself-- after looking at dozens of U-boat insignia and not finding anything I liked (pigs are featured quite a bit, probably for luck, along with umbrellas [probably a U-boat joke] and donkeys and elephants and a mule kicking Churchill) I just made my own 'U-boat flavored' design drawn on paper, scanned in, sized down to where I liked it, and printed out on regular paper, cut out, and glued on. Works like champ!

I'd be happy to share the file...

Later! OL JR :)

Sure... Yes I did a build thread on it... It's probably still over at YORF or RP since I generally crosspost :)

I did the decal myself-- after looking at dozens of U-boat insignia and not finding anything I liked (pigs are featured quite a bit, probably for luck, along with umbrellas [probably a U-boat joke] and donkeys and elephants and a mule kicking Churchill) I just made my own 'U-boat flavored' design drawn on paper, scanned in, sized down to where I liked it, and printed out on regular paper, cut out, and glued on. Works like champ!

I'd be happy to share the file...

Later! OL JR :)

Fantastic!
Thanks...

My arsenal. All Estes except the Nike Hercules in the center. That one is from Sandman and the one that got me back into rocketry. Oh yeah, and the Saturn 1B is Semroc's. The Saturn V, the Cherokee D, the Skyraider and the Klingon Battle Cruiser are all about 30 years old (recently restored).

Dennis

Attachments

• 100_3524.jpg
    100_3524.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 29
Got lots of estes kits, and i can not be bothered to photo' them all, so here's one that's a bit unusual (not a good rocket).

est_rediroc_raider.jpg

Oh man, I have a bunch of pics. Lets see here are a few: from l to r

Super Vega, CC Express, Rock-it, Super Big Bertha, Pathfinder w/booster

manta bomber 001.jpg

cc xpress.jpg

rock-it.jpg

manta bomber 012.jpg

pathfinder with booster.jpg

Some more: from l to r

Blue Bird Zero, 29mm Mean Machine, Optima, Executioner, Original Mean Machine

bbz.jpg

manta bomber 036.jpg

manta bomber 039.jpg

manta bomber 043.jpg

mean m.jpg

Still more: from l to r

ARV Condor, Interceptor E and Goblin, Meanie, Explorer Aquarius, Mercury Redstone (incidentally, I lost the nose cone on this flight, it drifted about a mile away over some houses).

arv condor.jpg

Picture 024.jpg

kole meanie.jpg

kole xpl aq.jpg

redstone.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Bob, is Fred part of your collection too?
By the way, when was that photo taken?
Is that at Mile Square Park?

I think he's part of mine. I think he positions his check in table so he's in every picture. :);)

Mario, you going next Sunday up to Lucerne?

I'll dive in from the few in our tiny but growing fleet.

First up is my Crossfire ISX which I renamed the Crossfire Cub since it's painted in Cub Scout colors and I try to fly it whenever we have scouts around.

View attachment 2266Crossfire Cub Launch2.JPG

Next is my Estes Amazon that came in the same starter package. this thing is a workhorse and has been just about flown to death since a) the kids discovered that they could load small "paratroopers" in with the parachute and b) I can fly it even on windy days without it going too high or too far downrange.

View attachment 2268

Finally we have a shot of our Estes Skywriters (mine's a little bigger):D

View attachment 2269

1st photo: Interceptor, Nimbus, upscale Starship Nova, Voyager II, Interceptor E, Blackhawk

2nd photo: My daughter having her SkyWriter signed by that nice gentleman.

3rd photo: My cousins launching my Mars Lander circa 1972

4th photo: Me holding my Gemini Titan and launching my Thor circa 1970.

Fleet.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

liftoff-1.jpg

oldrockets1.jpg

Back