Estes - Payloader II

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Real Deal

Reaction score
After getting the bug after a 20+ year exit stepping into some kits I have missed.

I recall my cousin having the original Centuri and launching it with my plastic army men in the payload.

Kit comes pretty standard with Laser cut balsa. Was the original pre-cut?
:( Not a fan of the solid color chute. Would love the classic Centuri checkerboard pattern...

View attachment 2012-03-09 16.05.53.jpg

Overall the kit is very straight forward and a simple finish.

Simple two piece system glued down on wax paper.
View attachment 2012-03-09 16.16.44.jpg

Attached the fins and did all rounding of leading edges while on the tube.

First time using EWF instead of sanding sealer.... We will see how it comes out. But I am not a fan of all the drywall dust it creates.. 400 grit was used on the fins
View attachment 2012-03-12 17.54.21.jpg

It was not lumpy - almost like thinned paint. Suggestions?

Most of the old Centuri kits I remember had the fins patterns printed on the balsa sheet. A little easier than the Estes standard "cut out a template and trace onto balsa stock" method.

I don't remember when die-cut balsa became a standard.

Here's the one with a buy it now price: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-SEAL...ltDomain_0&hash=item4ab511edfa#ht_2611wt_1156
Admittedly, it is a little pricey, but as far as I can tell it's the only black and yellow checkerboard 12" parachute available. (oh, and don't hate on eBay; they make the majority of their money on listing fees anyway, regardless of whether or not the item in that listing sells.)
Of course we should support our friends at Semroc, but I think maybe ordering a few kits would be much more supportive than a $2 parachute. ;)

This is nothing like many of the builds I have seen recently but have to finish sharing.... Oh and documenting a build is harder than actually building a kit.

View attachment 2012-03-20 15.34.58 (1).jpg
Does anyone else take the easy way out and just dip the whole balsa nosecone into the can of sanding sealer? :confused: Since this kit the nose cone goes into a payload section I am not worried about the fit being so tight and not allow the chute to release.

I used a small paintbrush to remove the excess sealer before hardening.

View attachment 2012-03-20 15.34.41.jpg
Trailing edge of fins - not rounded off...
View attachment 2012-03-20 15.34.10 (1).jpg
Leading edge of fins rounded off. Wood filler used.... 2 coats - 400grit then 600 grit paper. I guess I am old school. I enjoy the sanding sealer vs. the wood filler. Who else thinks the same?
View attachment 2012-03-20 15.33.44.jpg

2012-03-20 15.36.55 (1).jpg
All prepped and ready for the first coat of primer. This is my drying rack, gluing rack, my rig for holding rockets and spraying etc... :)

Taping off this little beast is going to be the fun part.... UGH.

The Payloader II was my most-flown rocket back when I was 14 or so. I still have the original, though it is kind of beat up and missing the nose cone.

I saw the Estes kit on sale at Hobbytown ($10) and picked it up along with a Chuter-2 that was also on sale.

I'm already painting mine, and went for the gold color with the black fins like in the old Centuri catalog. My original was orange. I'll post a pic when it's done. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

Estes put together a nice little kit here! The finstock was dense, C-grain balsa. I was very surprised! The nose cone is shorter than the original, but of high quality like the nose block is too. Very nice kit.

-Wolf

The model is looking good. Dip the nose cone and brush off the excess? Why not? Sounds like a way to go. Looking forward to the finishing.

Aesthetically pleasing little rocket, isn't it? Just picked one up myself.

I just got this kit...did anyone else find the length of the nose cone shoulder and the nose block to be extraordinarily long compared to prior Estes kits?

Don't really know about the Estes version, but this is what the Centuri looked like:

And yeah, looking at the rendering and an Estes photo—shoulder does look deeper. Easy fix.

72centuri PayII.jpg

Last edited:
I'm already painting mine, and went for the gold color with the black fins like in the old Centuri catalog. My original was orange. I'll post a pic when it's done. I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product.

-Wolf

:cool: I was enjoying a cup of joe this morning and was coming up with my color scheme. photo.jpg

Feeling confident after a morning making successful sales calls it was time to show off my painting skills. :lol:

First Coat of White Gloss on rocket drying.

View attachment 2012-03-21 09.04.28.jpg

Attached painters tape to the areas that would be within the rocket body. The nose cone will have a second color...

I also rolled tape sticky side up to hold both the NC & NB in place.
View attachment 2012-03-21 09.04.50.jpg

First coat on the body tube. After reviewing this photo I have no idea why I did not tape the whole fin.

View attachment 2012-03-21 09.17.00.jpg

:y: Can anyone tell what I forgot for both the nose cone & the nose block?
View attachment 2012-03-21 09.21.21.jpg

Until next time....

I just got this kit...did anyone else find the length of the nose cone shoulder and the nose block to be extraordinarily long ...

Yeah...I noticed that. I figured, "...so what..." and accepted it for what it is. One can always cut it shorter. I just might do it, because I have an immediate use for a BT-50 "poker chip" to use as a plug.

Real Deal - The paint scheme in the 1972 catalog is what my model is going to look like. I am adding the "Payloader" decal like in original, but put an Estes logo in place of the Centuri logo.

One color scheme "hidden" in the Centuri catalogs is the "orange Payloader." Basically the same pattern as the gold, but with orange. Their catalog pictures show one thing, but any photos of actual models in at least the 1972/1973 catalogs show the orange.

-W

:mad: This evening we have had major issues with Kylon Pumpkin orange Spray can... After a 72 hour hardening and drying time I hope to smooth out the chunky + runny spots on the fins.

:y:

I had the original Centuri version back about 1970.

I remember the Centuri balsa was MUCH harder than what you usually got in Estes kits. Made cutting those fins out a real adventure. Somehow I managed to avoid chopping my fingers off and got 'em cut.

Had it some 25 years before some dimwit moving guy threw out a carton of rocket stuff when I was moving in the late 1990s.

:mad::mad::mad:

Last edited:
Well the rookie has done it....

I have managed to ruin a perfectly good rocket.
My painting skills are horrible.

Sanding the nose block and the balsa nose cone down to fit within the clear payload tube I failed to plan on leaving room for visible painted areas. 72 hour dry time I took the paint down to the wood and started over.

This is where it went foul....
Bad tape job caused some runs under the tape.
No problem - I will paint over it black.

Then after dry time the one coat of primer and gloss - still to thick... UGH...

Lets try again.. 3rd times the charm... Nose block fits WAHOO>.. Time to glue.
White trim with clear plastic.... Hmmm...? Lets use White Glue.
24 hours dry.
It doesnt dry.
Remove nose block, clear out old glue, wash hands.
Place nose block into clear tube.
Answer phone, close sale. (It was a working lunch)
Grab super glue.
Allow small amounts of super glue to get between plastic and painted nose block. DOH!!! The nose block is not lined up perfectly....

Finger gets stuck to plastic.. Look for CA Remover. Nowhere to be found.
Beat on the nose block to hard - paint cracks and sticks to sidewall.
Visual results... :y:
View attachment 2012-03-23 16.07.44.jpg

FAIL #2
When painting with the orange spray 4 the fins the paint started gumming up spitting chunks. Taking paintbrush to smooth out paint asap - it started drying to fast and paint strokes happened. Also tape job was not perfect an ran into body tube.

At this point All I can think is - I wonder if I can get the first Payloader II to deliver a plastic army man to outer space? :eyepop:

I took some 600grit sandpaper, and wet sanded the areas... I also applied future to the fins to bring out some shine. No more paint...

So the lesson here is: fill in the blank.... :blush:

Attachments

• 2012-03-23 16.09.08.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 130
  • 2012-03-23 16.09.45.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 133
Hey don't feel bad. I know it's easier said than done, but I'm willing to bet not one person this forum has never made a mistake. We all do. I threw out plenty of rockets in my time because I goobered them. After awhile you really learn to think ahead and work through it ...because for me in the past I ran into some many "gotcha's" I lost count. Look at it this way. If you do decide to buy another you will have learned from this one...fly this one just for fun and use it to experiment with different rocket engines. Research on here the many different techniques people use when building all types of rockets. Painting a rocket is an art/science.

I found out when building don't go cheap on supplies and that means paint. Find a good quality paint like Rustoleum or Duplicolor and I used Testor's for those unique hard to find colors. This won't be your last rocket you have had issues...there will be more. Almost every single rocket I've worked on something has happened to where I needed to redo something or buy a new part(s)

Be thankful the hobby doesn't cost a fortune to enjoy...

My advice...launch the crap out of this kit and buy another. When you are done launching it salvage it for parts. Everyone on here has a junk box full of parts...start one for yourself.

Bottom line..Have fun!!:):):)

Not happy with the way it came out. BUT.... I would very much recommend this kit to anyone. I never had this kit growing up but loved seeing it launch and it also was strung above me in science class.
View attachment 2012-03-23 17.05.33.jpg

My deviation from the instructions: (Other than gluing my finger to the rocket) The Engine mount will have a kevlar cord to elastic cord attached vs using the paper mount with rubber band.

I did also acquire the yellow check chute I recall from my youth...
View attachment 2012-03-23 17.13.12.jpg

Looking forward to sending this to the moon in a couple weeks!! :clap:

Be thankful the hobby doesn't cost a fortune to enjoy...

My advice...launch the crap out of this kit and buy another. When you are done launching it salvage it for parts. Everyone on here has a junk box full of parts...start one for yourself.

Bottom line..Have fun!!:):):)

THANK YOU for the encouragement !! No way am I giving up! I recall the ugliest paint job I had done on a rocket (Mavrick) was one my best fliers on all engine sizes!
I have not even put my first one up since jumping back in... This will be my 7th kit completed in less than 7 weeks...
View attachment 2012-03-20 12.29.43.jpg
The great thing is: One more in process, 4 are ready to start and 2 more are in the mail.....

THANK YOU for the encouragement !! No way am I giving up! I recall the ugliest paint job I had done on a rocket (Mavrick) was one my best fliers on all engine sizes!
I have not even put my first one up since jumping back in... This will be my 7th kit completed in less than 7 weeks...
View attachment 76152
The great thing is: One more in process, 4 are ready to start and 2 more are in the mail.....

Oh BTW - forgot to mention even with nice paint jobs...they still be pretty well banged up and scratched...I think we all strive for that perfect paint job. That's what keeps us going I guess?

Have fun:):)

My advice...launch the crap out of this kit and buy another.

This. The not-so-straight line along the fin roots is really no biggie. It gives it more of a good honest vintage look than the "dipped in glass and too perfect to fly" look.

Assess your work from 1 meter away. It will look much nicer. :cool:

Heh. Don't sweat the paint job.

My original Centuri Payloader in 1970-71, I painted with a brush and then applied trim with a magic marker. Up close it looked like something from Bizarro World.

:y::y:

As Astronwolf says, set it on a table and take one big step away -- it will probably look fine from there.

Ordinary spectators, etc etc, who will not see it closer than maybe 25 feet away, will never know the difference. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It looks fine to me. As someone else mentioned, it's bound to get nicked and scratched, if not out right lost (having said that, it will be the one rocket that never goes away—you'll come to really like it). Caulk it up to the learning curve. I'd show you some of my early rockets, but I only photograph the good sides. If it flies—it's good.

Back