Estes Patriot (OOP)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Just a few questions before I clone her .
Does anyone know what :

Thickness the fins are?
How long the BT-60 tube should be?
How much would it be for stock decals for her ?
Cheers
Karl

The body tube is 18" long, and the fins are 1/8" balsa.

The stock build also has a "stuffer" tube for the motor mount. I think it's about 8.65" long.

Excelsior has the decals for $11 - much less than Tango Papa.

I built mine with a 24mm mount, rather than an 18mm. Flies great! It's a very stable design and requires no nose weight for that mod. I have it set for 2.75" D engines, but it would easily handle the 3.75" E's with no nose weight.

Thanks Forcheck! I've put my order through to Apo11o and am awaiting confirmation that everything is in stock :)
I will use this thread when I start building her :)
Karl

What?! The Estes Patriot went OOP?! I better grab some at my local hobby shops!

Thanks for the info on the decals. I just pulled this kit out of a 17 yr storage and the decals are toasted.
Scott

Ouch you got any pictures of them ?
And are Excelsior decals waterslide or stickyback?
Karl

The Excelsior decals are waterslides (excellent!)

You will need some MicroScale Liquid Decal film to coat them with prior to use.

Here's a link to his instructions page on "how to apply":

https://towrowrow.tripod.com/excelsiorrocketry/id3.html

Now, it's true that you will get the "best" results if you follow all of his directions.

You will get very good results if you simply paint them with the Liquid Decal Film first (critical) and then apply them like you would any other waterslide decal.

Right I've had a reply from Apo11o and they do not stock the same shape nosecone as the Patriot ( I say the same shape & legnth of a Blue Ninia? )

But they do stock a Mean Machine nosecone , would this be classed as 'scale'?
Karl

The Mean Machine, Blue Ninja, Screamin' Mimi, and the Citation Patriot all use the same nose cone. It will be a perfect match.

Thanks for all the help everyone!

I take it the Patriot didn't come with TTW fins? And should I put them on if Im going to fly her on D's ?

What did people build theirs with ? Will White glue be ok ?
Karl

White glue is fine, and TTW is not necessary (unless that is your personal preference, of course.) Just put some nice fillets on there and you'll be fine with D's and E's.

D's that is , we are unavailable to get Estes E9's over here :mad: :( Im sure she will scream on a D or a Aerotech D :D . Im gonna stick some nylon rail buttons on her aswell as a launch-lug to use with my new pad.
Will post pics as the build starts.
Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Noo not the normal misile Patriot. A picture is found here

Hey! I've seen that rocket before. Some guy at DARS brought it to the last meeting. It must have been an upscaled version for it was around 3" diameter.

Well the parts are payed for , and should be here shortly. But I've encounterd a little problem...... I had to get 2 legnths of BT-60 because the most they had was 14" . So I've got 2 lengnths of BT-60 & a BT-60 to BT-60 coupler.
So should the Patriot split in the middle where the BT is coupled ? or glue both legnths together using the coupler & let the nosecone blow off?

Cheers
Karl

I'd use nose ejection. In fact, I'd try my hardest to fill that seam where the two tubes are connected to get a nice, smooth, "catalog-like" appearance on the airframe (which was one piece in the original.) You wil be applying some decals in the vicinity of that seam that *may* draw attention to it if you don't fill it well.

Well I'll try make the tubes join as close as possible , the remainder of the small gap will be filled with a touch of water'd down woodfiller.
Cheers
Karl

Hey! I've seen that rocket before. Some guy at DARS brought it to the last meeting. It must have been an upscaled version for it was around 3" diameter.

Matthew, actually it isa

Originally posted by buzzybudd

Matthew, actually it isa

I'm assuming you're Buzz? It might be my computer, but the picture isn't loading too well.

Matthew, actually it is a 2X upscale that I built for My son. I believe I met you at that meeting on saturday. It is powred by a aerotech 29mm 40/120 reload.

Yeh I can only see about 1/2 " of that photo buzz

Well the parts have arrived and heres what I got ;

4 Sets of Rail Buttons
ABT-60 (345mm)
ABT-60 (393mm)
2x ACR-50/60
ATC-6004

And I already had a nosecone to suit & motor tubing. So the construction 2 begin, as soon as my dad brings home the instruction manual he said he will print off... Boy I've got ALOT of stuff on the go :rolleyes:

Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Well the parts have arrived and heres what I got ;

4 Sets of Rail Buttons
ABT-60 (345mm)
ABT-60 (393mm)
2x ACR-50/60
ATC-6004

And I already had a nosecone to suit & motor tubing. So the construction 2 begin, as soon as my dad brings home the instruction manual he said he will print off... Boy I've got ALOT of stuff on the go :rolleyes:

Karl

You mean the instruction manual for the Patriot?

If so, why wait?

Here's the web link:

https://www.dars.org/jimz/est0652.htm

At the top of the page is a button that looks like this: "
pdfjewel.gif
"

If you click that button you get the PDF version.

You can pull up the instructions right there on your computer!

Thanks Forcheck! But I've saved the PDF file and even now , I carnt see the whole instruction book ( Theres BIG parts missing ) . So I thought you should be able to do if it's printed. And getting it printed , theres a page of the fin templates isnt there?

Ohh I forgot to mention , I also got Fin Stock (3mm) & a 3mm launch lug.

Karl

Oops my bad , I downloaded it and saved it , and now its fine . Still have the problem of the fin templates tho'. (Forecheck)
Karl

What's the problem with the fin template? Can you not print it from your current computer or is there another issue?

Printers out of ink & not installed :rolleyes: If I could find a site with the legnth of the root ect I could make my own template :(
Just a Q that isnt on Jimz ;

How long is the motor tube?
Karl

The engine mount tube (according to the plans) is a BT20B, which is 8.65" long.

The root edge of the fin is 2.75" long.

I can measure other portions of that fin template too, if you need them.

Back