Estes Patriot (OOP)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Karl: Do you have any graph paper? That would be the easiest. I could give you the coordinates of the fin tips in (x,y) format. Simple graph paper with 4 squares/inch would do fine for this (or you could "create" some if your handy with a ruler and a triangle.)

Yep I have Graph Paper , it has realy small squares that are 1mm x 1mm .
Or you could just edit the JimZ plans page?
Karl

OK (I keep forgetting that you folks "on the other side of the pond" use the metric system.)

Here's the coordinates for the fin. These five points are in (x,y) format. Just play connect the dots! Dimensions are in mm (man, those are *small* squares...)

(0,0) ; (70,0) ; (87,20) ; (99,87) ; (57,89)

See if that looks right. I measured my template using digital calipers set on millimeters.

Thank you for all your help Forecheck! I made a basic graph , 100Y , 100X axis. And it worked perfectley :D I transfered it over to cardstock , and I made a template to put onto my balsa now :D

Will post pics of the process.
Karl

Ok theres a small update :

I got round to putting the stencil onto the balsa and cutting the fins out . I cut each fin out using a fresh Stanley knife , and sanded them all down to the same size. I rounded the parts that needed rounding , and sanded each surface carefully. Put I tried a new technique to fill the grain..........

I got a few sheets of normal , white printing paper and drew around 1 fin 4 times , and cut them out.Then I put a large blob of wood glue in the center of a fin and smeared it around. Next I got the cut out piece of paper and stuck it onto the surface. But then I realized the paper started to 'shrink' and curl up in the middle , so I straightened it out and put it on a flat surface with a few large cataloges on top to stop the balsa from warping & the paper 'shrinking. After 1 layer was dry , I added another layer over the top using the same method. Then I left it over night and now its SMOOTH , with minimal weight added , but alot more strength! Now , the balsa wont even bend a tiny bit!I did think about covering the top of the surface with wood glue , or thin CA , but I didn't want to risk sanding it too much by mistake , going into the paper , and giving it a uneven surface and making the paper have a 'fur' like texture.

Now I will proceed into doing the same to all 3 fins.

Karl

Sorry about the first picture that would not dispaly for some reason or the other, I'll see if these 2 pic's will work.

Cool , she looks awesome! Where did you get the 2 x upscale decals?
Karl

Karl, I got the decals thru "tango papa" I called Tom and told him what I was building, and gave him the body tube size and length and he took it from there. He know what he is doing when it comes to upscales, those decals fit perfect to the tube and fins. They are vinyl decals. that you have to pull off the back side and apply the front portion of the decal. I also made a 2X upscale of the estes omega and cineroc. I will post those pic's as soon as possible. Also worng on a 2X upscale of the goblin too. Of course all of them powered bythe 29mm 40/120 aerotech reload.

Major Update :

I scrapped the balsa fins idea. And made some new ones from 3mm Lite Ply. As this thing will be flying on Estes E9's or maybe CHAD staging D12-0 -> E9-6.

The bodytubes where cut to legnth , Joined using a coupler , and the 'gap' filled with Ronseal Woodfiller.

2nd coat of woodfiller on the sprials. Sanded down to a glass like texture.

Seam on the nosecone filled once again & nosecone sanded down.

Sanded all the fins down , and filled some of the 'split' edges with woodfiller.

Sanded them down once again.

Marked up the BT.

Tacked each fin down with 12min Epoxy..

Constructed the mmt & kevlar/shockcord attachement ect...

Filleted all the fins with Woodglue.

Layer of woodfiller over each fillet & sanded.

Now all remains is paint & decals :) She might have a change of flying on Saturday if the weather holds up. E9-6 all the way

:D

I got round to taking some pics of her . Shes now finished :)

Shes painted with Plastikote Metalic Purple. And the decals are mixed around to suit my taste. The right side of each fin is coverd in a sliver vinyl. She seems to be light enough to be flown on a C6-3/5. And if the weather holds up I might have the chance to fly her tomorow.

Karl

Ok I weighed her in . With a spent D12 engine with the nozzle removed in the MMT , and a C6-5 inside the D , she weighs in at 6oz.
Does anyone know if a C can take this much weight? She seems light enough....But I wouldn't want to damage her :eek:
Karl

Right Im on my way to fly her on a Estes E9-6 , will report back after the flight , wish me luck :D For recovery im using a 2meter Mylar Red streamer.
Karl

Mood : Not a very happy bunny
Why : Rockets & Trees have a thing for me

What happened : Rocket flew strait and true at a 70 degree angle, ignition was fast & the rocket climbed to about 1500ft . Touched cloud base , arched over and came in ballistic. Ejection at about 1200ft. Rocket did a 'Nose Blow' sort of recovery whilst still attached to the streamer. She seemed to just sit on the air , she came down pretty slow even for a streamer. There was not a inch of wind when she was launched , on decent the wind picked up to about 2-3mph. She came in and sat her self at the top of the largest tree on the field. Attempted to climb but it was around 40-50ft tall , no chance. Im gonna scrape some cash together and build another. The end of the world of rocketry for me is in the not so distant future..........Im concidering packing up and moving on.
Karl

The only pic I have before she was taken by the rocket_eating_trees_
Karl

Latest posts

Back