Estes Patriot Missile

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevKeith

Reaction score
Just completed my Estes Patriot Missile. Good kit. I like the looks of this rocket. I'd like to build a 3 inch version. Only modifications to the kit were 24mm power and kevlar shock cord. I didn't like the three sections of body tube and two couplers that had to be glued together and the decals stunk! Oh the days of high quality waterslide decals!

Keith

Nice looking bird there revkeith,

I too have built the Patrioit, but I opted for stock build...knew that was a mistake as this one is crying out for a 24mm mount. The only mod I did was replacing the "Underwear bungie cord" (UBC) with about 3ft of nylon twine.

too cold to paint, but it is in line.

Nice rocket! I also am working on a Patriot. Like you, I decided to use the 24 mm mount. I'm wondering if I'll ever get it back but what the hell, they are cheap enough to get. I'll post pics when it's done.

i to have made the Patriot.
the only thing i did to it was
install a 24 mm motor kit.
and put in a streamer.
i like to fly rockets not run after them .

I'm glad Estes reintroduced this kit. I had a few of the original version lying around prior, but opted to kit bash one out of the new Stormcaster kit. It also came with 24mm engine mount so I was all set. A great flying rocket on C11-E9s.

Did some research on the "naked" patriot paint job. Apparently in the can they're not painted but you can see the various antennae, etc. Here's a photo of it before it went horizontal at launch, locked in on a poor schmuck on a lawn tractor and planted itself in the ground (fortunately it was a PAC-1 and missed the guy on the tractor!). I'll probably build another out of the new Estes kit.

MetMan

I bought one of these at Wal-Mart, packaged as a "buildable" or "launchable" or whatever it's called in that hard, clear plastic casing on a cardboard back plate. $7.

Anyway, is there a constructability purpose for the multi section airframe or can it be readily replaced with a single length of BT60?

Just curious.... I haven't opened it yet and probably won't until I'm ready to build it so I don't lose or damage anything.

ForeCheck,

You sure could do the replacement...the BT's supplied appear to be construced for a "no paint" version, which never was offered; that is why the one BT is already soft yellow.

I have built and flown the new Patriot many times and it does well on a C6-5. I built it stock, but when HL had thier sale, I got a spare and am going to do it as a three 18mm motor cluster, which I saw done by someone else. I may even get a third one and do it as 24mm. They are great kits for the price and do look good when assembled.

Carl

they made it that way so it could fit in the box

replace it if you can.
i found the liter it is the higher it goes.

was thinking about a 2nd one and sticking in a E motor kit

Well...I'm thinking that the only reason there are two sections is for the kit to fit in the Launchables standard packaging. You could easily replace the two pieces with one single length, BUT then you couldn't have a payload section...all you'd need to make a bulkhead is a couple of sheets of balsa, glued together, shaped to round, and sanded to fit in the tube! It wouldn't be MUCH of a payload section, but you could probably fit a Perfectflite Mini Altimeter in it to measure the altitude you'd get with your three motor cluster! :p ;) :D

Jason

Guys!!!

Use the two piece body tube to install a Centuti Style baffle and forget about the wadding.

I have an origional version, it's a real good small field bird.

Goose

I was in the local Wally World here a couple of weeks ago, and they had some RTF starter sets with the Patriot. Has any one else seen these? I didn't pay much attention to it, as I usually overlook any of the RTF stuff, but this one caught my eye, and looked like it would be pretty heavy for 18mm motors.

Originally posted by astrowolf67
I was in the local Wally World here a couple of weeks ago, and they had some RTF starter sets with the Patriot.

Did you notice what the RTF-version was made of? All the other RTF stuff looks like it's plastic

Originally posted by CTulanko
ForeCheck,
....I got a spare and am going to do it as a three 18mm motor cluster, which I saw done by someone else. I may even get a third one and do it as 24mm. They are great kits for the price and do look good when assembled.

Carl

Well, I probably wasn't the one you got the idea from, but it's always fun to post pictures of our own creations. I had built this one during the days of it being OOP. This is a scratch built version. The yellow part is self-adhesive monokote. The other decals are hand cut. The MMT on this one is scratch as well. If I had to do it again, I would have just purchased a FlisKits <a href="https://www.fliskits.com/products/components/prod_pages/emk2-1860.htm">dual 18mm MMT kit.</a> :D

Well, if I'm gonna share I should post a picture of it. Duh!

patriotaft.jpg

I have also seeen the RTF Patriot kit at WalMart...it does have plastic fins and includes the launching pack with tripod and launch controller. Nice starter, but not the same as the kits in the bagor "Launchables" package, which have balsa fins.

Carl

Back