Estes Patriot build. (with added zip)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UPscaler

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys! I am currently building an estes patriot with a 24mm mount in it. Just figured I'd share.

DSCN0661.jpg

DSCN0662.jpg

24mm mount

DSCN0663.jpg

tube assembly

DSCN0664.jpg

tubes assembled

DSCN0666.jpg

Marking fins and launch lug.

DSCN0667.jpg

Putting in the mount.

DSCN0670.jpg

Letting it dry.

Go ahead and ignore my pile of clutter.:rolleyes:

My 24mm version of the Estes Patriot was a champion and one of my favorites to launch. Invariably someone on here will tell you to add nose weight -- don't believe them. It will fly great as is.

DSCN0671.jpg

half way there!

DSCN0672.jpg

fins done

DSCN0673.jpg

paint prep

DSCN0683.jpg

My state of the art paint shop. Spelled garage, pronounced Gar-rlaj-ey. Must be lots of shop workers in Idaho, because almost every house has one.

DSCN0685.jpg

Primer

DSCN0686.jpg

I was proud of my job with the sanding sealer.

DSCN0687.jpg

Nice n even.

DSCN0688.jpg

nice.

DSCN0689.jpg

decided to paint the yellow part with a brighter yellow.

DSCN0691.jpg

photo op with the arcas and ?future plans?

DSCN0695.jpg

Gloss coat drying.

DSCN0696.jpg

All done.

DSCN0699.jpg

Test flight when it stops raining:rolleyes:

I have built several of these, and I still can't figure out why Estes felt it was necessary to put all those seperate body pieces in the kit.
I mean, if you are going to apply seam filler, primer, and paint, why didn't they just use one piece of BT and let the builder mask off the painted sections?
I guess they designed the kit so people who don't paint would have pre-colored parts and could just fly it with all the seams, joints, and warts still showing.

UPscaler, nice job on the build. Those colors look good! I have gone with stock MMTs on all mine because I was afraid I would lose the thing on a D motor. It flies OK with an 18mm C, and I get it back without having to chase too far. Let us know how high it gets if you do any testing with a D?

I have built several of these, and I still can't figure out why Estes felt it was necessary to put all those seperate body pieces in the kit.
I mean, if you are going to apply seam filler, primer, and paint, why didn't they just use one piece of BT and let the builder mask off the painted sections?
I guess they designed the kit so people who don't paint would have pre-colored parts and could just fly it with all the seams, joints, and warts still showing.

UPscaler, nice job on the build. Those colors look good! I have gone with stock MMTs on all mine because I was afraid I would lose the thing on a D motor. It flies OK with an 18mm C, and I get it back without having to chase too far. Let us know how high it gets if you do any testing with a D?

I was thinking the same thing. I guess somebody just might want to build it with no paint, or very little. XD

Thank you, After painting the bottom of the fins my hands matched the rocket.

First flights on the C11's. Possibly today, because the wind stopped and the ground is dry, as well as the sun is out. I will get it on a D eventually, and on april 3rd, the first tripoli idaho launch, i will probably put it on an E9 and watch it go.

Here is the link to the flight videos. with some other rockets.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?p=72819&posted=1#post72819

Last edited:
I also build a 24mm Patriot. I fly it on C11 & D12s for night flights. Daytime flights usually get an E or F composite. I would recommend putting a larger launch lug on it then the 1/8". Estes recommend 3/16 for D engines. I went with two 1/2" long 1/4" lugs. One at the aft end and the other about 6 inchs up. Let's me sneak a flight in between the TARC flight on the 1/4" pads.

The original Patriot Kit that came out in the early 1990's was not like that. They did that when they Wal-Martized the kit to make it fit in the launchables packaging.

Cool build. My estes patriot is 24mm too. it gives GREAT flights on the C11's and almost out of site on D12's..

have fun with it!

thought I would mention this on my old thread.

Last year at tripoli Idaho's final launch I flew it on an E9-8, it was incredible! Flew straight as an arrow, will definitely have to put the keychain camera on next time.

Braden

Back