Estes Paper Shroud Adapters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce

Reaction score
I can't figure out what "MC" means on the Estes paper shroud adapters.

It appears to refer to a tube that is slightly larger than a BT-60.

Can anyone shed light on this?

MC.jpgMC Closeup.jpg

Does anyone remember the rare Estes BT-63 body tube size?

Wasn't it only a little larger than BT-60 though?

Could that be what "MC" is?

But if so, why wouldn't they just print BT-63 on the shrouds instead of MC?

I find the concept of buying pre-printed shrouds to be weird in this day and age. Too cheap and easy to print your own, and then you get to control exactly how long the things, among other things. All you need is a printer.

That said, the MC is a mystery; I can't come up with any ideas. My eyeballs estimate the diameter at that mark to be about 1.8", which is a size that doesn't ring any bells for me.

I don't know what the MC means, but my guess would that it for the Estes BT-65 eggloft tube.

BT-65 sounds like the best possibility so far.

Did the Estes Scrambler kit use that BT-65 tube?

Wasn't there a cool 3 engine cluster version of the Scrambler?

But it probably had a plastic or balsa transition piece so you wouldn't need a paper shroud anyway.

What does the mysterious "MC" mean?

Mercury Capsule sounds like the best fit for "MC" so far!

But did the Estes Mercury Redstone kit use a paper shroud?

But did the Estes Mercury Redstone kit use a paper shroud?
It wasn't for the kit. There was a two part balsa nose cone that scratchers could use to simulate a MC capsule. The shroud allowed it to fit a variety of body tubes from BT-20 to BT-60.
0919200911[1].jpg
Erockets/Semroc carried the capsule kit with shrouds and universal centering ring set until a few years ago when it was discontinued.
PS This is my "Mercury RPG" project. Rocket propelled grenade with a Mercury capsule. Just need to add a thrust ring, recovery gear and forward swept fins.
Heh.

Last edited:
That sounds perfect. Mystery solved! Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• MC.jpg
    MC.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 20
Actually, the capsule shroud was smaller than the shroud in question. The larger shroud was for adapting the capsule to various body tubes. Plus the capsule shroud was pre-printed with the capsule color and markings.
The printed shroud was in the earlier MR kits, the shroud in question was not. It's for the Mercury capsule kit, not the Mercury Redstone kit. Whew!

Back