ESTES Outlander available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JustPut the last touches on our lander. I wanted to pur in bigger a bigger engine but my son wanted to leave it stock i do not think that we will be getting much height out of this one. may have to get a second on and put in a bigger engine. it is a great looking kit. Jim

Originally posted by JimmyD
JustPut the last touches on our lander. I wanted to pur in bigger a bigger engine but my son wanted to leave it stock i do not think that we will be getting much height out of this one. may have to get a second on and put in a bigger engine. it is a great looking kit. Jim

Got any pics to share??? :)

Originally posted by mr_fixit
I saw the same kit at a2zhobbies.com for $13.09! gonna take the wife and kids out to dinner with the change......ok, maybe just the mother-in-law. I keep taking her out to dinner, but she keeps finding her way back!!

https://www.a2zhobbies.com/Estes/Skill_3/EST-2110.html

Exactly. For less than $15.00 you can get a cool kit to play around with. The Tango Papa Landers are over $50.00 if I remember correctly. I wonder how much the Semroc Mars Lander will cost...

Welcome to the forum, btw...

Originally posted by JimmyD
See, I keep saying "build for the bigger engine and adapt down, no need for multiples of the same kit... um, that is, discouting rocket-eating trees.

Originally posted by jjnodice
Exactly. For less than $15.00 you can get a cool kit to play around with. The Tango Papa Landers are over $50.00 if I remember correctly. I wonder how much the Semroc Mars Lander will cost...

Welcome to the forum, btw...

It is a very cool kit, and can be used on a small field, which is all my daughter and I can find here on long island, NY. Not much space around here anymore for a hobby like this. Which we both find very sad as the LEM was built on Long Island, Grumman Bethpage and Calverton. We are made to feel like the outlaws around here with this, but we sneek our launches in when we can. Thanks for the welcome, this is truly an amazing forum and will probably be my life line to the hobby.

My daughter and I can't get over how no one says anything bad about anyone else, and even the actual vendors get on and lend people a hand and comment on their rockets and other mfgs rockets as well. Almost all have been in a positive light. She and I both get a kick out of all the posts by Jim Flis of Flis Kits. We haven't built any of his kits yet, but hey, it Christmas Eve and you never know.

Even though we are new here if some of you more experienced people could pass along our prayers for the Flis' recent loss, it would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the welcome, and we would like to wish all of you a happy, peaceful, and high flying holiday season!! Be well and be happy....... Merry Christmas to all and to all a super launch!!

OK...so I'm probably one of the last one's here to build the Outlander and wanted to know from you guys that have built it with the removable bottoms, what did you do internally for the screw attachment point?

I need to see some good pics guys.....thanks.

Don't feel bad, mine's still in the bag.

Use a small block of wood (spruce or hard balsa) glued to the bottom and lined up with where the screws will go.

kj

That's pretty much what I thought...thanks. But I'd sure like to see some pics.....you know...different minds, different ideas.

here are some pictures of how I built my Outlander with removable bottom for access to leg hinges.

I used 6/32 nuts epoxied in between the bottom pair of CRs. These nuts receive the 6/32 bolts that hold the bottom on the rocket.

this picture shows the bottom of the rocket (its upside down), Here you can see the holes that the 6/32 bolts go through

this picture shows the inner leg assembly. You can see the 6/32 nuts

Thanks stevem.....that's exactly what I'm looking for. Do you install your nozzle for flights or is it just static now?

I use the nozzle - I used a dremel tool to open it up enough to get a 24mm MMT in there.

You can't really see it in the picture but there are 2 very small screws that I use to secure the nozzle to the rocket.

To get at the leg hinges I have to first remove the nozzle , then undo the elastic bands, and then I can remove the 4 bolts holding the bottom of the rocket on and slide the bottom off.

I was glad I took the time to do this as I had to repair a leg after the first flight.

Originally posted by Martin Vrstal
OK...so I'm probably one of the last one's here to build the Outlander...
Guess if you're starting your build Marty, that'll put me as one of, if not THE last to build it. ;)

Stones....well good for me then huh...LOL

Hey stevem.....did you have to use a different upper bt to make room for the side tanks? I did...had to use a piece about 1/2" longer.

it's been awhile since I built mine but if memory serves me correctly I did lengthen the thing. I don't recall using a different BT tho - I think I made the MMT tube longer so I could fly it on an E and then just moved the main BT up a bit.

Ahhhh....I've done the screw and nut thing like yours and mine is also upgraded to 24mm, but when I went to mount the bottom large tank and then the other sets I didn't have enough room.

Only problem now is that I'm missing one of the small tanks, I think the cats are playing floor hockey with it somewhere.:(

Originally posted by Stones
Guess if you're starting your build Marty, that'll put me as one of, if not THE last to build it. ;)
I got an Outlander for Christmas last year, and I haven't started on it yet, so I'm behind both you *and* Martin.

I got one of these about a year ago, and finally finished and flew it, so here's my commentary. First off I must say that calling this a skill level 3 is ridiculous. It's at least a 4 maybe even a 5, but I guess Estes doesn't want to scare people off too much, oh well...

After seeing many opinions about whether you should upgrade the mount to 24mm, I decided to build it stock. Mainly because I had seen one fly on a C motor and it flew fine. I was convinced that if you just build it light, it would do fine. The other thing was I don't mind if it doesn't fly too high because here in NJ many times you are stuck with a small field. And of course, if it didn't work out, there are always the 18mm D motors as a possibility. So it is stock except for one thing. That cheap rubber tubing they give you for the leg hinges ripped, so I got some silicone R/C fuel tubing and it is a lot stronger, but more on that in a minute. I painted as I went, not getting too crazy with primer or sanding sealer, just one coat. And the paint itself I was able to limit to 2 coats for the red and blue, and the silver went one fine in just one coat.

So it was done after many painstaking hours and the moment of truth came last week. Here is the glamour shot on the pad.

And liftoff on a C6-3!

Well, it boosted to about 150-200 ft I would say, but on ejection, one of the chute shroud lines snapped. The Outlander came down a bit fast and one of the legs bore the impact of the not so soft landing. Unfortunately, post flight inspection revealed the leg hinge tube had ripped, despite them seeming very tough. I didn't build it to have access to the internal parts for repair, so nothing I can do for now, but it should be fine with 3 of 4 working, and it will not affect the flying ability.

Overall, I like this rocket a lot. It certainly is the most bizarre and one of the most impressive rockets in our fleet. I'm mostly a scale guy but I must admit this one got a lot of oohs and aahs from the kids and adults at our launch! Certainly it's a good small field flyer if you decide to build it stock, just go easy on the finishing.

Glenn

well... being someone resurected this thread... i guess i'll post my outlander... i've flown it twice on the D13-4 reload in my 18mm case... that thing RIPS on the AP motor. both times, its cracked one of the leg shrouds loose from the body tube.. but nothing a bit of glue didnt fix right up..

i too noticed the leg hinge tube beginning to crack after the 2nd flight... i guess it was too much stress too quick on them...

i've been scared to put a C6 in it, but probably will the next time i fly it... either way.. it will probably become a shelf rocket... too much time in the build..

Okay, so I'm the winner of the "Last To Build An Outlander" competition! I've been ingesting all the various threads and suggestions for mods and gotchas. I've decided to build mine for 24mm motors, and build with access to the leg assembly. I'll keep you posted as I go.

Originally posted by graylensman
Okay, so I'm the winner of the "Last To Build An Outlander" competition! I've been ingesting all the various threads and suggestions for mods and gotchas. I've decided to build mine for 24mm motors, and build with access to the leg assembly. I'll keep you posted as I go.

No, I think I am the winner (or loser?) of the Outlander last place building race. I just bought one today from the Hobbytown on Broad Street....Checking the threads and the EMRR site for all the gotchas on the Outlander.

regardless of what motor size you build the outlander for, building my outlander so I have access to the leg hinges was one of the best mods I have made to a kit rocket. I have had it apart several times for repairs.

If I was to build another one, I would build it so that I could access the hinges for sure. That was a mistake I wish I had not made. I might also consider a 24mm mount, but I will say that last month I launched it on a D21-4T and it ripped! Probably got about 500 ft. on it, awesome flight.

Glenn

Thats whats cool about this forum. By being years behind everybody else in getting one, I can mine tons of data on what to do or not do regarding the model. I have a stack of paper about an inch thick on various reviews and suggestions:D

If I stick with the 18mm mount I have a bunch of C5-3s to try as well as access to the 18mm D jobs....

BTW, the stock parachute is 18", right??? Has anybody tried one of the big competition mylar chutes, say around 28 to 36"?? The common thread in reviews and posts seems to be breaking gear struts on landing. I imagine with the greater weight of the Outlander, the combination of higher descent rate and the sideloading you would get with any wind drift at all is sufficient to fail one or more gear legs, which in fairness were probably only rated for the much lighter Mars lander. If they fit those big chutes in the little parachute duration jobs, maybe one could be adapted to the Outlander and reduce the load on touchdown....

Back