ESTES Outlander available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the hinges are a silcone rubber tubing that is cut into 1" pieces.
The kit comes with 4 small plastic beads that are connected together with string - actually looks like a piece of a cheap plastci necklace. The beads are chrome plated and have casting lines and when you cut them apart it is hard to get the little nub of string cut off flush with the bead surface. Honestly, this is the one part of the kit I found to be rather 'cheesy'.
You insert the beads into the silicone tubing and they act as a bearing surface that keeps the two ends of the dowel from rubbing on each other. I tried to make the beads smoother (they also have molding lines that make the beads kind of rough) but the chrome plating starts flaking off. I decided to toss the plastic beads and I used Daisy BBs instead. They worked great.

As I remember this is the exact same method used on the original Mars Lander. Seems plenty strong to me. I am going to see if I can come up with a way to be able to access the hinges later on in case of a failure. Not sure if it can be done or not yet.

I got my two Outlander kits from Towers Hobby today...OUTSTANDING ESTES!!

The Capsule has me thinking more about my LJ II...hmmmmI wonder???:rolleyes:

sandman

can someone post the dimensions of the "capsule/pod "

thanks

stymye,

I think I know wherer you are going with this...yes it would be "close" to perfect!

The right shape, the right angle, the right curve on the tip! It's just a bit large. About a 33 degree angle to the slope. Same as an Apollo capsule.

4.374" at the widest part, 2.125" high to the seap and the finished top cone is 1.100" tip to shoulder.

There is a bunch of other "stuff on it to...nozzel and another shoulder.

sandman

finally.... a scale 4" capsule..!!! thanks estes!
and that would fit perfect on a loc size tube!
(would it?)

finally.... a scale 4" capsule..!!! thanks estes! and that would fit perfect on a loc size tube! (would it?)

intriguing idea ... just went in the garage and tried it ... depends on what you mean by "fit".

basically it's too big, it overlaps by quite a bit. also the capsule/cone doesn't have any shoulders so doesn't really "fit" into the 4" LOC tube, it just kinda rests there waiting for an excuse to fall off...

I got my Outlander done this weekend -
I did make some mods. I put in a 24mm motor mount tube and made the lower half of the rocket removable for access to the leg/hinge assembly. I also decided to forego the suggested paint sheme and went with a 'mars lander' look to go with my Tango Papa Lander.
Here's a shot of the two halves of the rocket...

Steve,

This just looks great!! Thanks for the pics!

I was wondering what this model would look like with a ML style finish, and you have nailed it!! I most definitely be finishing mine this way.

BTW: Is the paint a gloss white? Semi? It has a nice sheen to it.... but not too much gloss.

I am also thinking of drawing up a set of ML-like decals especially for the Outlander. It is easy enough to do, including changing the ML logo to say anything you want it to. If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

As an example, I will attempt to post some t-shirt logos I created for my niece and nephew this weekend. they are based on the ML logo and the Sprint logo. Each of these took about 20 Min in Coreldraw.

I was also thinking that a Chinese version might be in order as well.....

Finally, let us know how it flies. I will hold off on building mine until I hear how the 24mm mod works!!

Well, looks like I'm going to have to add this kit to my collection.

One of the few "new" Estes kits I like.

Thanks for the construction pics :)

I just realized that this Outlander logo still had a Mars lander silhouette. I have adjusted the logo for the Outlnder:

Ohhhh, Astronboy, that came out nice...

Can ya make me one?

sandman

Steve: Tell us how you worked up the raised panels on the capsule: Are those cardstock, or styrene? Did you make patterns (That you would be willing to share? :D ) or did you just wing it?

stevem,

I'm sorry but I think I missed a few posts!

I just saw your completed lander...White with red legs...that's what it should look like!

Well done!

OK...stymye made me open mine...now I gotta build it!

sandman

astronboy - great minds think alike! I'm not sure if you can see it or not but on my outlander I did modify the original Mars Lander decal by putting the silhouette of the OL in place of the ML. The only other decal mod I made was to make the ML 4 decal into a ML 5. All the rest of the decals were original ML.

For the raised panels I used the VCP program to make shroud templates that were the exact same as the top and bottom of the OL capsule. I then drew out the panels on the templates and transferred them to plastic sheeting, cut out th eplastic and cemented it to the capsule. I didn't really have an exact design in mind when I drew out the individual panels, I just 'winged' it. The plastic sheeting I used was the scraps I had left over from my Estes 'E' V2 fins. I think cardstock would work too.

Steve: Awesome!! No, I did not see your mods... really cool!!

What is the VCP program? Is that a graphic design program?

I finsihed a set of decals, but I cannot post the entire set due to size constraints. I have posted the mission logos. Each ML #: 1,3, and 5 have a different mission: First landing, Polar landing, and first long term stay.

Sorry, that file was not finished... here is a corrected zipped PDF.

astronboy - you can get VCP here.

On the tools menu in VCP is a shroud calc - works great and is very accurate.

Steve

Great idea on the panel lines...raised panels...

I always save that thin vacuform plastic...now I know why!

sandman

got a little pack-rat in ya huh sandman?
every once in awhile it pays off!

Hmmm. How will this baby fly on an Apogee's E6-4? Sounds like a slow, long, smoky ride....

-bill

Any recommendations were I can order 2 kits for a good deal and pay with credit card?

Thanks,

or Hobbylinc. A little more expensive ($14.19); but they ship to Europe at a reasonable cost. I used them to order my Estes Renegade, and have just ordered an Outlander from them.

Tower Hobbies may ship to Europe too, so don't dismiss them; its just that I've had personal experience with Hobbylinc, so I know they ship internationally.

Thanks guys :)

These kits will be shipped to Florida as there will be a little rocket meet on the 20th March that I will be attending :cool:

I just heard about this site today and signed right up! I went to RMR in hopes of reading some reviews of the Outlander kit and it seems that every subject on RMR degrades into a mud slinging session started by a certain individual who must have not received enough attention as a child. STEVEM that Outlander in
Mars Lander decor looks 100 times better than the stock paint job!!! Being hopelessly addicted to collecting rockets, I just got 6 of the Outlanders and I guarantee I will build one up to look like yours. I also intend to modify the legs so that they use extension springs rather than elastic cord. It was upsetting to watch my Mars Lander start to list to one side as the rubber bands dry rotted over the years. Now it rests on its engine hook. Thanks to all for making this thread so informative!

-Scott

Back