Estes nose cone repair help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigsnaff

Reaction score
Hi All!
I've had a couple of bt55 nosecones break where they attach to the shock cord. I think it's because I'm using kevlar and not a rubber band. It appears the thin plastic loop can't stand up to the shock (these are the one piece nosecones with the small plastic loop, not the two piece ones). Anyway, I was wondering how you guys would go about fixing it so I can reattach a shock cord to the nosecones. I appreciate the help!

Aviserated you understood it perfectly. Thanks for the link Scott 650! I was over thinking it. Totally clear now! 👍

Last edited:
Drill a hole, those loops are not worth the risk. I wished Estes would do this for the shock cords, they can leave the loop for the parachute.

Yep, those nose cone loops do break. Seen to happen many times and if chute is also attached then typically the nose & chute drifts away while the booster Core Samples.

Drilling a hole is much better.
Also, attach the chute to a loop on the Kevlar cord and not the nose cone.

On one of mine I drilled 2 small holes in the base of the cone, ran a thin piece of wire through there and twisted the ends to form a loop, then I clip the shock cord and parachute to that loop. If you drill a couple of holes and run the cord through there, watch for wear on the cord at the sharp edges of the holes.

Tying the shock cord to the NC is ok... just don't have the parachute tied to the loop at the same time... You can attach the chute to a small loop tied in the shock cord.

Oh and if you're using kevlar then make it a lot longer. For that size rocket I use 10' of kevlar.

Back