Estes (North Coast Rocketry) Phantom 4000 question.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
Our local (only) hobby shop carries very little rocket stuff, but one thing he does have is the West Coast Rocketry Phantom 4000.
It's a set that includes an Estes launcher. He claims the original price was about $150.00, but he'll let me have it for $75.00.
I a low power kind of a guy, & I can't buy anything bigger than an E motor around here, but I must admit I'm thinking of offering him $50.00.
Anyone have any idea what they are really worth?
Was this a good flyer?
Vance in Ak.

Buy it...and don't look back.

That's a good deal!

sandman

As you probably know, North Coast Rocketry kits have been out of production for some time. Even if you don't want the kit, if you can get it for $50 I'm sure that you could make a profit selling it on ROL.

As a matter of fact, if you don't want it, but are willing to act as an agent for me, send me a PM and we'll discuss my procurement of it through you.

Yes, it was a good flyer.

Thanks guys.
Ken, I will keep you in mind. I may pick it up for myself, but for the price of the motors for about two flights for the Phantom I think I can pick up a Blast Off Pack at Toys are Us, so I'm not sure.
Anybody know what single use Fs& Gs run?
The guy also has an areotech Mustang & Cheetah that he has had for a year(that I know of) & he has them "marked down" from about $54.00 to $49.00. Doesn't sound like too good a deal to me. Seems like I hear of them for that price quite often, or am I mistaken?
Oh yeah, he also has a reloadable At 18mm motor case, for $40.00 & one set of 18mm reloads(can't remember designation) for $12.00, but at that price I don't see much advantage to reloads.
Vance in AK.

I bought my Phantom 4000 for $75, also. I still have the launcher and pad in brand new condition. I absolutely love the rocket, I will be one of the few that will suggest you build it. Replace the motor mount with some LOC 29mm tubing and it will fly beautifully on almost all 29mm G's and H's. So far I have put mine up on a G35W, G64W, H180W, H210R, H238T. All beautiful flights, looking forward to an H268R or I200W next flying season.

Snatch up pretty much everything he has. The 18mm's are pretty much extinct. You'll like them, believe me:)

$49 for those rockets is not too good of a deal...but they are good rockets. TRF loves the Mustang:)

Buy it!!!!:)
the SU F and G's range in price the G80 cost $16 I know, maybe the price has changed.

Vance, just curious but where in AK did you find the Phantom 4000 set? If I remember correctly, the Anchorage House of Hobbies had a bunch of OOP kits. I know in specific of one that had an NCR Archer in the window. The other House of Hobbies had an Estes Optima on the shelves for 29.99. It's been nearly 3 years since I lived there so I don't expect that they'll still be there. I just figure if you lived near Anchorage it might be worthwhile to scout the shops there. I'll admit that while I lived there I wasn't quite interested in rocketry. I remember I bought a Astrocam RTF starter set at Walmart for $19. I flew it twice with the motors that came with it and never flew it again. That was back in the summer of '00. Had I known there was such a thing as rocketry on the internet I may have actually started sooner!

Hi Eugene.
Actually I found it in a little(500sf?) shop in Soldotna, pop. 5000.
I think only one of the House of Hobbies has rockets now. They each have a specialty according to their phone book adds. Ones more or less craft stuff & the other is hobby stuff. There is also a Big shop with a pretty good selection in the Diamond mall. It's about 150 miles one way for me to Anchorage, & I hate big city so we only go up a couple times a year unless it's to pick up visitors at the airport.
Vance in AK.

Back