Estes - Nike-X (K-70 or #1270) Gallery

Discussion in 'Estes' started by sodmeister, Jan 30, 2011.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 30, 2011 #1

sodmeister

sodmeister

sodmeister

This is the QModeling upscale version of the Estes Nike-X rocket.I finished this kit last Christmas and flew it once on an AT S/U "E" engine....flies very well on an E ,as this rocket kit is not all that heavy for it`s size and the fact that no epoxy was used in the build (I know ,hard to believe comming from me ;) )
    The kit went together without any problems ,very high quality parts used throughout and the waterslide decals were great ,as no setting solutions were needed.

These are great kits to build and very well made.I just bought the upscale ANDROMEDA during their X-Mas sale...great deal and only $5.00 shipping to CANADA :y:.....I mean 5 bucks ,you can`t go wrong ! I plan to add a few more to my collection.

Paul

php9WPBTGAM.jpg

phpKWNq0MAM.jpg

phpm1J5lwAM.jpg

phpEpyc0rAM.jpg

phpt8WBMUAM.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  2. Jan 30, 2011 #2

Stymye

Stymye

Stymye

well engineered kits ... came out nice .!

3. Jan 31, 2011 #3

Dominion

Dominion

Dominion

Very nice, I was about to ask you if you did one. Your rockets have such excellant detail. Now excuse me I'm going to go bang my head against the wall now. (My NikeX) lol.

4. Jan 31, 2011 #4

Initiator001

Initiator001

Initiator001

I built a Q-Modeling Nike-X to fly at NARAM-49.

It had a great flight on and AeroTech E15-4W motor. Plenty of flame and smoke. :D

Please note: The Estes Nike-X (and, therefore, the Q-Modeling upscale) are not scale models of a real missile. "Nike-X" was the name given to the development program for a follow-on missile to the Nike-Hercules. This missile was later named "Nike-Zeus".

N49 Bob with Mega Nike-X.jpg

5. Jan 31, 2011 #5

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut TRF Lifetime Supporter TRF Supporter

Guys!
    The Nike-X kits are NOT a scale model in any respect. While they do slightly resemble the Nike-Zeus , that was the very beginning prototype of the long range part of the Nike-X, Sentinal System project. That Missile defense system later contained the Spartan and Sprint missiles. This kit only vagely resembles the Nike-Zeus & Spartan we do them both disservice by calling this kit "Scale". These kit models no more deserve to be considered scale models then the SR-71 kit.

If We're going to use this Gallery's to show our kit builds or scratch builds for that matter; If it is not as a measurable representation of a REAL vehicle then lets refer to them as they should be as "semi-scale" or scale like... better yet just with the kit name.

Here's my Nike-X... a fairly neat looking model but it's NOT a scale anything.

475a-sm_Nike-X  Decaled Complete_02-10-08.jpg

475Lp03c-sm_Nike-X B6-4 Liftoff_05-24-08.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2012
  6. Jan 31, 2011 #6

sodmeister

sodmeister

sodmeister

I agree.I was even thinking putting it as "QModeling" as I would like to give them their due as a kit manufacturer.

Paul

7. Jan 31, 2011 #7

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Hmmm, whom are you speaking to?
    The only use of the word "scale" in the term your claiming is in the thread title.
    No one has called their particular model "scale of anything" in any of the postings.
    So perhaps the use of the term "guys", referring to more than one person, has been misused here in this respect.

8. Jan 31, 2011 #8

JAL3

JAL3

JAL3

For what its worth, I am the guy to blame for putting scale in the thread title. I am NOT a scale authority and assumed that this was just one more of a whole lot of Nike scale rockets. I have since been informed otherwise and plan to change it.

Before that happens, I am trying to work out an alternate indexing scheme that will maintain the original goal of this section to show a wide variety of variations on a theme and also give the manufacturers of re-scales, clones, etc proper credit. In addition to not being a scale authority, I am not a programmer either and will need time to work things out.

I do expect this to happen soon. I started my first vacation in 4 years today. I was taking 5 days of to get ready for a contest. Now it seems a good deal of that time will be spent indexing. I'm not complaining; I love this place and am glad to do it but you better understand that I am not going to completely waste what vacation I have either.

9. Jan 31, 2011 #9

Rocketman248

Rocketman248

Rocketman248

Boy, these scale guys are a picky bunch, huh? ;)

10. Jan 31, 2011 #10

JAL3

JAL3

JAL3

I've been out in the garage fighting rotor airfoils and just came back in. An emergency at the church has come up and I need to head out there. I just took another look at my quoted post above and it strikes me as much whinier than I intended. I do indeed love this place and want to get things right. Its going to take me a little time to do so AND I don't want to give up too much of the precious vacation time either.

Please bear with me. I hope to get the re-indexing started this evening when I get back from the church...and probably after fighting the rotors some more. Heck, I may even slip supper in there someplace!:wink:

11. Jan 31, 2011 #11

sandman

sandman

sandman

Emergency at the church?

I thought you were on vacation?

12. Jan 31, 2011 #12

JAL3

JAL3

JAL3

Yup on both counts. That's the life in a small church where there is no associate. I told people yesterday that I wanted them to call me for emergecies of this type. It would be different if I was out of town but that was not in the budget this year.

PS. I got your email and I'm wrestling with adding another set of decals to the mix but need to get some measurements.

13. Jan 31, 2011 #13

sandman

sandman

sandman

No rush, I'm babysitting my grand daughter this week and with a big a$$ snow storm on the way I may have her all week.

The last snow storm the mail man didn't deliver. "neither rain nor sleet...but if it snows..."

14. Feb 1, 2011 #14

rokitflite

rokitflite

rokitflite

Hey Bob! Thanks for pointing out that this is not a scale model in an informative and respectful way instead of talking down to and lecturing everybody like they were misbehaving 5 year olds :D.

15. Feb 1, 2011 #15

jdud

jdud

jdud

AMEN!!! Now let's commence with telling sodmeister how awesome his Nike-X is.

You definitely have an eye for detail. The red stripes look great, and the fins look much better painted black instead of the decals like the original Estes had.

16. Feb 1, 2011 #16

Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog

[Here's my Nike-X... a fairly neat looking model but it's NOT a scale anything.[/QUOTE]So, in that case, on a scale of 1-10, your Nike gets a BIG FAT ZERO!!!!! :puke:

17. Feb 1, 2011 #17

sodmeister

sodmeister

sodmeister

Thanks ,but after this fiasco,I think I better stick with TLP kits and scratch built missiles :rofl:

Paul

18. Feb 1, 2011 #18

hcmbanjo

hcmbanjo

hcmbanjo

Ditto!
    The Nike X looks great!

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  19. Feb 1, 2011 #19

Stymye

Stymye

Stymye

The Q-modeling kits are Estes upscales,, so don't blame Q modeling if somethings not true scale.
    A good example is their Wac Corporal,,it's not scale, it's based on the estes kit with the fin bevels.

the real thing did not have fin bevels, although almost everybody has modeled it that way (even including beveling jigs in their kits ).

The confusion came from some photos where the fins appear beveled , but it is actually the way the fins were sanded/buffed and the lighting in the photos.Look at ANY build and the fins are always incorrectly sanded to an angled bevel.

in reality they have a smooth airfoil

( I believe even Peter Alway will back this up).

oh yeah..ofcourse..nice model there Sodmeister !

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  20. Feb 1, 2011 #20

Cluster King

Cluster King

Cluster King

This is the QModeling upscale version of the Estes Nike-X rocket.I finished this kit last Christmas and flew it once on an AT S/U "E" engine....flies very well on an E ,as this rocket kit is not all that heavy for it`s size and the fact that no epoxy was used in the build (I know ,hard to believe comming from me ;) )
    The kit went together without any problems ,very high quality parts used throughout and the waterslide decals were great ,as no setting solutions were needed.

If you want scale data on the Zeus, go to White Sands, they have one in their storage yard. It's a beauty to behold, yours too, Paul!

Tsolo Dann

21. Feb 1, 2011 #21

GregGleason

GregGleason

GregGleason

Nicely done, Paul!

Greg

22. Feb 1, 2011 #22

sodmeister

sodmeister

sodmeister

Thankyou gentlemen ,but thanks should go to Qmodeling ,as the kit and decals were great to work with ,I just added a few red stripes ,B/W checkerboard Monokote and paint.
    I can hardly wait to start the up-scale Andromeda.....but not until much later.

Cheers

Paul

23. Feb 1, 2011 #23

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

If you'd been paying attention to the thread you would've realized:

a) it could never be "true scale" as there is no real Nike-X missile.
    b) there is no "real thing" as there is no real Nike-X missile.
    c) there is no "in reality" as there is no real Nike-X missile.
    d) I doubt "Alway will back this up" as there is no real Nike-X missile.

and finally, there is no real Nike-X missile.

Now let's all get back on topic and marvel at the beautiful detailing and finish that these fine modelers have done to their kits.
    Nice job "guys", yes all of you.;)

24. Feb 1, 2011 #24

WillMarchant

WillMarchant

WillMarchant

On Sabbatical

I suggest you read the section on the Nike-X program in James N. Gibson's excellent book "Nuclear Weapons of the United States: An Illustrated History."

But, yes, everybody is to be congratulated on their excellent modeling skills. Those birds are looking fantastic! :clap:

25. Feb 1, 2011 #25

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Do you have any actually pictures of the "program" in flight?"
    What was the paint scheme on the "program"?
    Did the "program" have a warhead?

I believe we're talking about a missile and/or rocket.
    No one said anything about a "program" with the same name.

The Nike-X "program" developed the Nike-Zeus misslie; it has never developed the Nike-X missile.

I suggest you re-read this section again within this excellent forum by TRF.:D

26. Feb 1, 2011 #26

Stymye

Stymye

Stymye

easy bulldog..My post was referring to the Wac Corporal...not the nike x

27. Feb 2, 2011 #27

rokitflite

rokitflite

rokitflite

:D:D:D

28. Feb 2, 2011 #28

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Der Red Max

Woof, woof!
    Dude, but we are all "talking" about the Nike-X, when was the thread hijacked?...

{On second thought, let me re-word that 'cause we can argue that this thread was "hijacked" very early on by many of us - yes me included}

...when did it become about the Wac Corporal?
    You can see where the confusion comes from....yes?

29. Feb 21, 2011 #29

judo

judo

judo

Here's my oddly familier black-on-white rocket. It's a Semroc clone of an Estes kit. It was my go-to rocket as a yout. Mark at Stickershock23 did the vinyl. He did an ever so slight downsize of his stickers from BT-60 to BT-55. They look great but some of the detail got lost on the downsize.

NEFAR4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2011
  30. Jun 25, 2011 #30

bill2654

bill2654

bill2654

Here is my scratch built Nike X. Airframe is 4" LOC tube and stands 72" high. Total weight without motor is 5 lbs. 1st flight coming up in July. Nike-X 010.jpg