Estes Nike Smoke Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAR29996

Reaction score
I am finishing up an Estes Nike Smoke and was wondering if it would be a good idea to fill the rear cavity with expanding foam. I hate having fins pop off a model at landing. But, I was wondering if there is a risk of melting those plastic fins.

Discuss, and thanks for your advice.

I've only flown my Estes PSII Nike Smoke once (So far :wink: ).

The fin anchoring to the centering rings is nice and strong with a modest use of epoxy. Don't overdo it.

My Nike Smoke landed on hard packed ground. I brushed off some dirt on a fin and it was ready to go again.

NSL2013-019 My Estes PSII Nike Smoke awaiting launch.jpg NSL2013-020 Ignition of Estes G80-7T motor in my Nike Smoke.jpg NSL2013-021 G80-7T motor powers Nike Smoke into the sky.jpg

Hello Bob, I have a number of flights on mine without any issues. I think between the design of the fin can, and BT normally hits first you should be ok. Great flying rocket on the G80.

I've only flown my Estes PSII Nike Smoke once (So far :wink: ).

The fin anchoring to the centering rings is nice and strong with a modest use of epoxy. Don't overdo it.

My Nike Smoke landed on hard packed ground. I brushed off some dirt on a fin and it was ready to go again.

View attachment 156681 View attachment 156682 View attachment 156683

What Bob said. I built mine stock, I used epoxy for the fillets, and I've only flown it once. (See above for the results)

What others said... Fins are fine on this rocket, it is the aft of the airframe that takes a beating. That is where you should focus. In fact, I just added a layer of 10 oz Kevlar inside the airframe at that point and am ready to repaint the aft end now.

I've always applied the same attitude with foam as to drugs- "Just say no." I'm sure some have found it useful but most of the stories I've heard involved foam being applied, then the temperature changing, then foam expanding, then sadness...
I would consider strengthening the bottom of that BT but I'm not even too concerned about that on my similar big Cosmodrome Nike Smoke, but then again mine has thick plywood fins :)

Back