Estes Nike Smoke DD?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I just received my Nike Smoke. I've been putting my PSII kits up on some pretty big motors. DD has been a God send for this.

Any suggestions on the best way to make this one DD without changing the actual rocket itself? I've been considering a NC bay, but I've never built one before. It'd be completely new territory. And I'd rather avoid a Chute Release just yet.

I've been considering a NC bay, but I've never built one before.

No need to "reinvent the wheel." Mike at MAC Performance sells sweet NC bays. I first purchased one for use as a tracking bay for his 3" Scorpion rocket. I have been utilizing them most recently for multiple LOC 4" builds and a Defy Gravity tether. Similar concept I'm sure would work at 3".

Or, cut the tube, buy a coupler, get some bulkheads from Balsa Machining, make an AV bay. But remember, Chute Release requires no BP and is easily moved from rocket to rocket, and no modifications or DD altimeter are required.

For my Madcow 4" Nike Smoke I'm in the middle of building I'm planning on using a Chute Release for DD, I'll probably still use an altimeter for electronic eject (been screwed too many times from early or late motor eject at least with AT motors) and my plan is a nosecone AV bay for that (have one on order from ape-rc.com as soon as I manage to sync-up with Chris to pick it up [my fault, not his]), I have a TRS that I plan to use both for tracking and deployment.

Or, cut the tube, buy a coupler, get some bulkheads from Balsa Machining, make an AV bay. But remember, Chute Release requires no BP and is easily moved from rocket to rocket, and no modifications or DD altimeter are required.

+1ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1456504623.364816.jpg

Except for cost, why avoid a Chute Release? I can tell you from first hand experience, they work great in general and work great in the PSII Nike Smoke.

Steve

I built a dual deploy rocket with Estes tubing once. It worked once, too.

That material is simply not meant for close charges and shearing pins. If I did it again I would think about baby sized charges and tape for friction.

Except for cost, why avoid a Chute Release? I can tell you from first hand experience, they work great in general and work great in the PSII Nike Smoke.

Steve

+1 for JLCR. Much simpler and you can readily transfer it over to another rocket after a flight.

Additionally, I've read that Nike Smoke rockets, due to the unique nose cone, often has issues with sampling the air depending upon where you put the sampling holes. YMMV

Additionally, I've read that Nike Smoke rockets, due to the unique nose cone, often has issues with sampling the air depending upon where you put the sampling holes. YMMV

I totally believe that, though mine has been perfect. I vented the body as usual, then vented that back up into the nose. I am not sure if that is viable for smaller rockets; mine is a four inch Madcow.

I totally believe that, though mine has been perfect. I vented the body as usual, then vented that back up into the nose. I am not sure if that is viable for smaller rockets; mine is a four inch Madcow.

I just recalled one source of where I read this...the Perfectflite SLCF manual: "If your rocket has an irregular nosecone (e.g. Honest John, Nike Smoke) you should move the holes even further back."

The Chute Release is exactly the cost. Making my own bays is very easy and cheap. I can build an entire bay, use ammo brass, hobby lobby plywood, and other parts that are laying around. I get a more accurate separation charge and a deployment charge. I get altitude, speed, flight time, etc from the flight log. And it costs less. I can almost build a redundant bay for the same money.

I'm not speaking ill of the Chute Release. It's innovative and fits a very important space in our hobby. And one day I will own one I am sure. The cost for the gadget seems overly excessive for its function. But that is only my view and should not influence others. I like the Jolly Logic products a lot. I just have a hard time parting with that much money for what I actually get in return when compared to my preferences.

At the end of the day, it's a me issue. Not a chute release issue.

So a NC bay seems the way to go. But that entails a cable cutter setup. And we are back to cost. Hrmph. Money makes the world go round.

The Chute Release is exactly the cost. Making my own bays is very easy and cheap. I can build an entire bay, use ammo brass, hobby lobby plywood, and other parts that are laying around. I get a more accurate separation charge and a deployment charge. I get altitude, speed, flight time, etc from the flight log. And it costs less. I can almost build a redundant bay for the same money.

I'm not speaking ill of the Chute Release. It's innovative and fits a very important space in our hobby. And one day I will own one I am sure. The cost for the gadget seems overly excessive for its function. But that is only my view and should not influence others. I like the Jolly Logic products a lot. I just have a hard time parting with that much money for what I actually get in return when compared to my preferences.

At the end of the day, it's a me issue. Not a chute release issue.

So a NC bay seems the way to go. But that entails a cable cutter setup. And we are back to cost. Hrmph. Money makes the world go round.

I'm with you on the cost,but all of a sudden all your rockets 2.6 inch and larger are DD with a chute release.It will a awhile before I can purchase one.Maybe the price will come down of some other company will bring one out at a less cost.

Last edited:
Back