Estes Nike Smoke (BT-60)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose a Motor Mount

• Single 24 mm

• Dual 18 mm

• Keep it stock, fool!

Results are only viewable after voting.

iqsy59

Reaction score
With the release of the Saturn V, I went a little crazy with my latest order. Among the many kits, I finally picked up a Nike Smoke.

I am going to install an aftermarket motor mount, but I can't decide which. Instead, I will let the forum decide for me. Should I build it with a 24 mm mount or 2 x 18 mm?

24 mm (with adaptor):
Range: B-F
Interesting options: D9 reload, E11 reload, F12 reload (hehe!).

2 x 18 mm
Range: B-E
Interesting options: 2 x C6 Quest (smoky!), 2 x D13 reload.

I should have bought 2 and built one of each. Which would you choose?

Cheers,
Michael

I picked one up last weekend, and will be installing a 24mm mount in it. Clustering is now somewhat less reliable due to the characteristics of the new Estes igniters, and questionable availability of Quest Q2G2's. Of course, if you roll your own, this would not be an issue.

I was set to build mine as a 24mm, but once I actually started putting it together, I decided to go stock. It's not as big as the BT-60 tube would have you believe, and instead of going down the heavier/more nose weight/bigger parachute route, I built mine to be enjoyed with 18mm power. Good little flyer!

you could build it with modular motor mounts...then you get the best of both worlds? There are some posts here, and I think I saw some stuff from Apogee as well.

Obviously, it needs a 54mm mount and at least a K motor. :)

I would go 24mm, or modular. I use the AT F12 load in a lot of Estes kits and get great flights out of them. A slower smokey burn that can lift most any Estes kit that will take a D12. Unless the stability margin is right on the edge, the slightly higher motor weight doesn't cause issues. And I expect most Estes kits err on the side of stability. The ones I've flown do anyway. The only time I've added nose weight is with Big Daddy mods for 29/38mm HPR.

I added weight to the Bull pup 12 when I built it for 24mm motors. Flies great on a D12-7

Thank you everyone of the excellent feedback so far. Keep it coming!

24 mm leads by 3x as of now. It's certainly the most practical option since I have a Rocketarium 24-18 adaptor for the D13 reload option. The highest vote count will decide it for me though.

Here's my latest haul. Each of these builds should be fun. All but the Tercel are fairly recently releases. Kudos to Estes for putting some life into their lineup!!!

IMG_8295.jpg

Cheers,
Michael

Just picked up the Smoke kit at Hobby Lobby about half an hour ago (Gotta love those 40% coupons...). Planning on going with the 24mm mount, though with the availability of 18mm D motors I was tempted (for about half a second) to build it stock.

Planning on adding a bunch of scale detail like bolt and rivet heads, weld lines and, most likely, built up fins to get a more accurate airfoil. I'm considering the paint scheme in the pic as well. Aluminum tape would look pretty cool on the fin can!

193853971-nike-smoke-meteorology-rocketry-rocket-launch-pad.jpg

Aluminum tape would look pretty cool on the fin can!
I use a roll of that dryer duct tape for trim on lots of my scratch/cardstock rockets, it might be a little tricky to get good results with it around a fin can. You could try metallic finish rattle-can paint, it is not as shiny as the metal tape, test on some cardboard to see if you like it. Alternately, you could get a really nice finish with metallic Monokote, well worth the investment in the iron.

I use a roll of that dryer duct tape for trim on lots of my scratch/cardstock rockets, it might be a little tricky to get good results with it around a fin can. You could try metallic finish rattle-can paint, it is not as shiny as the metal tape, test on some cardboard to see if you like it. Alternately, you could get a really nice finish with metallic Monokote, well worth the investment in the iron.

Thanks Glen, Moneykote is a great idea. I never would have thought of that. And I already have an iron! (Might even be some metallic 'kote in the shop)

I have a bunch of rolls of that aluminum tape that I have collected over the years. I use it on everything from models to race cars. Some are almost chrome looking and others are raw aluminum. My thought was to slot the tube and make the fins the through the wall type. That way I could wrap the tube with the tape before gluing fins.

Just picked up the Smoke kit at Hobby Lobby about half an hour ago (Gotta love those 40% coupons...). Planning on going with the 24mm mount, though with the availability of 18mm D motors I was tempted (for about half a second) to build it stock.

Planning on adding a bunch of scale detail like bolt and rivet heads, weld lines and, most likely, built up fins to get a more accurate airfoil. I'm considering the paint scheme in the pic as well. Aluminum tape would look pretty cool on the fin can!

I really like that round. I hope you show us a photo of the finished model! I find that Testor's Metalizer gives a very realistic metallic finish on smaller models.

Cheers,
Michael

I really like that round. I hope you show us a photo of the finished model! I find that Testor's Metalizer gives a very realistic metallic finish on smaller models.

Cheers,
Michael

Metalizer is another great idea and is also one that wouldn't have occurred to me even though I have a box full of Metalizer colors in the shop! :facepalm: I gotta get out more...

Maybe I'll start a build thread so as not to hijack your thread, but I have pretty much decided to go with through the wall, built-up fins. I'll post some pics for sure.

(By the way Michael, I love the quote in your signature. Tom is one of my racing buddies and I've often heard him say exactly that!)

Mike

Last edited:
Back