Estes - NASA Pegasus (#1376) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a fun one! not all that difficult to built but just a joy to fly single motor or 3 MMX-II's.
T3 (.375") diameter and 5-7/8" long it's easy to see, a good size to handle, really fun to prep and fly's like a bat! 8.8grams LOWt with a single motor or 11.3 with Three...it' SCREAMS off the pad on three motors with a tiny .3grams pin locked in Nose weight addition. Man I wish we had about 4 second delay motors LOL!
I was too slow to catch the lift off on a single MMX-II, I didn't even try adding 2 MMX-II-NE motors in the outboard cluster;) Very kewl smoke trail though:)

Post copied with permission

MM 353Lp01-sm_MM NASA Pegasus 1-motor 1st Flt_11-16-08.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the Estes NASA Pegasus (#1376) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes NASA Pegasus (#1376) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: NASA Pegasus: #1376
MMWW: NASA Pegasus: #353

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes NASA Pegasus (#1376) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: NASA Pegasus Also known as:

NUMBER: #1376

Introduced: 1982
Final Year: 1986
Designer:

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 19.75"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.36 oz

Mfg. Description: Medium range research craft for NASA after the Space Shuttle. Flies over 850 feet. (Estes 1982 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-nasa%20pegasus%201376-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1982 Catalog
estes-nasa%20pegasus%201376-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1983 Catalog
estes-nasa%20pegasus%201376-1985%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1985 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-nasa%20pegasus%201376-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-nasa%20pegasus%201376-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
MMWW (Estes) NASA Pegasus (#353) Basic Information.

MMWW.gif
McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: MM T3 NASA Pegasus Also known as:

NUMBER: #353

Introduced: 2008
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Exotic, Downscale, Cluster
Motor Mount: 3x6mm
Recovery: Streamer or Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

mmww-(estes)%20nasa%20pegasus%20353-face%20copy.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
20150330_061903.jpg

Downsized to 55% of original. Will fly on Estes mini motors.

Last edited:
I still have and fly every once in a while my rebuilt (Cato damaged) original NASA Pegasus #1376 model. When I reworked this one I also included motor mounts in the necelles so it can be flown as a single motor or 3 motor cluster:)
Fly's great both ways.

086a-sm_Pegasus 3motor_11-12-90.jpg

086b1a-sm_Pegasus 3motor cluster onpad_09-97.jpg

086b1b-sm_Pegasus 3motor Liftoff_09-97.jpg

I also included motor mounts in the necelles so it can be flown as a single motor or 3 motor cluster:)
Fly's great both ways.

I thought about doing that with my upscale; building it with basswood wings/fins instead of balsa brought the CG far enough aft that it would make adding two more motors a bit dodgy without nose weight. I might still retrofit it though...

I thought about doing that with my upscale; building it with basswood wings/fins instead of balsa brought the CG far enough aft that it would make adding two more motors a bit dodgy without nose weight. I might still retrofit it though...

yeap it takes a bit of extra nose weight in 3 motor mode. I built a nosecone insert that pins in place for cluster flights. this allows the model to fly normally without the excess mass on a single B or C in single motor config. The Cluster Nwt plug & pin in a small zip-Loc bar are elastic band attached to the model with a Red Lable tag " Don't forget the Cluster Nose Weight".

Used a similar arrangement for the single motor / 3-motor cluster MMX downscale as well. This slide in noseweight capsule & pin are stored in the same Zip-Loc storage bag as the micro model. It also has the same Red Lable Tag "Don't Forget the Cluster Mode Nose Weight" attached.

Last edited:
Built mine from an original kit I found on Ebay. Everything was in good shape except the decals which were cracked. Contacted Mark at Sticker Shock for replacements. While I was at it I got a set for a BT70 upscale that is coming soon.

Built basically stock except for a Kevlar and Elastic shock cord. Sometimes you just don't mess with perfection.

This has been my favorite rocket, hands down since I saw it for the first time as a kid.IMG_6672.jpgIMG_6673.jpgIMG_6674.jpgIMG_6675.jpgIMG_8629.jpgIMG_8632.jpgIMG_9125.PNG

Last edited:
I am surprised that Estes does not carry this kit any longer. So elegant.
I am also surprised that the 3 engined version flies so well. I figured the hollow tube fins were required for stability. So many beautiful renditions above.

What are the dimensions of the stock-size fins? At least the root dimensions, so I can double check the print out. Looking at the ricksim file it appears to be about 8.3cm (3.25 inches?) and 5.4cm (2 1/8 inches) or so?

I don't see it listed anywhere.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-nasa-pegasus-bob-harrington.html gives these dimensions:
  • 1 BT-55 body tube 14" long
  • 2 BT-50 body tubes 6.5" long
  • 1 BT-20 engine tube 2.75"
  • 2 CR2055 centering rings
  • 1 Engine hook 2.75"
  • 1 BNC-55AO nose cone
  • 3/32" fin stock
  • 36" shock cord
  • 18" parachute
Thank you :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201225-182055~2.png
    Screenshot_20201225-182055~2.png
    640.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
It's a very elegant rocket, in my spare parts I have BT-50 and BT-20, so if my research proves right that is a 0.74 scale down?

One of my favorite rockets. I remember seeing Back to School in the theater with my brothers and we all shouted at this scene because we had the rocket.
NASApeg.jpg

Back