Estes - NASA Pegasus (#1376) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is a fun one! not all that difficult to built but just a joy to fly single motor or 3 MMX-II's.
T3 (.375") diameter and 5-7/8" long it's easy to see, a good size to handle, really fun to prep and fly's like a bat! 8.8grams LOWt with a single motor or 11.3 with Three...it' SCREAMS off the pad on three motors with a tiny .3grams pin locked in Nose weight addition. Man I wish we had about 4 second delay motors LOL!
I was too slow to catch the lift off on a single MMX-II, I didn't even try adding 2 MMX-II-NE motors in the outboard cluster;) Very kewl smoke trail though:)

Post copied with permission

MM 353Lp01-sm_MM NASA Pegasus 1-motor 1st Flt_11-16-08.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

JAL3

Reaction score
Welcome to the Estes NASA Pegasus (#1376) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes NASA Pegasus (#1376) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: NASA Pegasus: #1376
MMWW: NASA Pegasus: #353

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:

JAL3

Reaction score
Estes NASA Pegasus (#1376) Basic Information.

Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: NASA Pegasus Also known as:

NUMBER: #1376

Introduced: 1982
Final Year: 1986
Designer:

Type: Exotic
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 19.75"
Diameter: 1.325"
Span:
Weight: 2.36 oz

Mfg. Description: Medium range research craft for NASA after the Space Shuttle. Flies over 850 feet. (Estes 1982 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

Estes 1982 Catalog
Estes 1983 Catalog
Estes 1985 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

JAL3

Reaction score
MMWW (Estes) NASA Pegasus (#353) Basic Information.

McCoy's Micro Wonder Works (MMWW)

MODEL NAME: MM T3 NASA Pegasus Also known as:

NUMBER: #353

Introduced: 2008
Final Year:
Designer: John McCoy

Type: Exotic, Downscale, Cluster
Motor Mount: 3x6mm
Recovery: Streamer or Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Reaction score
image-inflight-rockets---nasa-pegasus-600.jpg

Mine is the Inflight variant. Great clone.

Paul

Reaction score
20150330_061903.jpg

Downsized to 55% of original. Will fly on Estes mini motors.

Last edited:

Micromeister

TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I still have and fly every once in a while my rebuilt (Cato damaged) original NASA Pegasus #1376 model. When I reworked this one I also included motor mounts in the necelles so it can be flown as a single motor or 3 motor cluster:)
Fly's great both ways.

086a-sm_Pegasus 3motor_11-12-90.jpg

086b1a-sm_Pegasus 3motor cluster onpad_09-97.jpg

086b1b-sm_Pegasus 3motor Liftoff_09-97.jpg

EXPjawa

Reaction score
I also included motor mounts in the necelles so it can be flown as a single motor or 3 motor cluster:)
Fly's great both ways.
I thought about doing that with my upscale; building it with basswood wings/fins instead of balsa brought the CG far enough aft that it would make adding two more motors a bit dodgy without nose weight. I might still retrofit it though...

Micromeister

TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I thought about doing that with my upscale; building it with basswood wings/fins instead of balsa brought the CG far enough aft that it would make adding two more motors a bit dodgy without nose weight. I might still retrofit it though...
yeap it takes a bit of extra nose weight in 3 motor mode. I built a nosecone insert that pins in place for cluster flights. this allows the model to fly normally without the excess mass on a single B or C in single motor config. The Cluster Nwt plug & pin in a small zip-Loc bar are elastic band attached to the model with a Red Lable tag " Don't forget the Cluster Nose Weight".

Used a similar arrangement for the single motor / 3-motor cluster MMX downscale as well. This slide in noseweight capsule & pin are stored in the same Zip-Loc storage bag as the micro model. It also has the same Red Lable Tag "Don't Forget the Cluster Mode Nose Weight" attached.

Last edited:

Back_at_it

Reaction score
Built mine from an original kit I found on Ebay. Everything was in good shape except the decals which were cracked. Contacted Mark at Sticker Shock for replacements. While I was at it I got a set for a BT70 upscale that is coming soon.

Built basically stock except for a Kevlar and Elastic shock cord. Sometimes you just don't mess with perfection.

This has been my favorite rocket, hands down since I saw it for the first time as a kid.
IMG_6672.jpg
IMG_6673.jpg
IMG_6674.jpg
IMG_6675.jpg
IMG_8629.jpg
IMG_8632.jpg
IMG_9125.PNG

Last edited:

cbwho

Reaction score
I am surprised that Estes does not carry this kit any longer. So elegant.
I am also surprised that the 3 engined version flies so well. I figured the hollow tube fins were required for stability. So many beautiful renditions above.

cbwho

Reaction score
What are the dimensions of the stock-size fins? At least the root dimensions, so I can double check the print out. Looking at the ricksim file it appears to be about 8.3cm (3.25 inches?) and 5.4cm (2 1/8 inches) or so?

I don't see it listed anywhere.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-nasa-pegasus-bob-harrington.html gives these dimensions:
  • 1 BT-55 body tube 14" long
  • 2 BT-50 body tubes 6.5" long
  • 1 BT-20 engine tube 2.75"
  • 2 CR2055 centering rings
  • 1 Engine hook 2.75"
  • 1 BNC-55AO nose cone
  • 3/32" fin stock
  • 36" shock cord
  • 18" parachute
Thank you :)

Attachments

Last edited:

Back_at_it

Reaction score
I’m home Monday morning. I can get you some dims at that point if no one else jumps in

cbwho

Reaction score
It's a very elegant rocket, in my spare parts I have BT-50 and BT-20, so if my research proves right that is a 0.74 scale down?

nosecone

Reaction score
One of my favorite rockets. I remember seeing Back to School in the theater with my brothers and we all shouted at this scene because we had the rocket.
NASApeg.jpg