Estes Motor Used in Space?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I recall reading years ago about a small satellite or probe using an Estes motor for some function while in space. I think it was specifically a D12 motor.

I was reminded of it today and decided to refresh my memory. But my Google-fu has let me down and I can't find anything about it. Does anyone here remember more or know of a site with more info about it?

Thanks.

Black powder, as a propellant, is very difficult to ignite in a vacuum. Add the extreme temperature shifts in space and a black powder grain fractures.

APCP propellants are just difficult to ignite in the vacuum of space.

That makes a bit more sense. An Estes motor, even if you could light it, would be rather heavy for the total impulse delivered, and, at $30,000 per pound orbited, expensive. Do you think a burst disc could make ignition easier? A pyrolant could be formulated with gas generation in mind.

That makes a bit more sense. An Estes motor, even if you could light it, would be rather heavy for the total impulse delivered, and, at $30,000 per pound orbited, expensive. Do you think a burst disc could make ignition easier? A pyrolant could be formulated with gas generation in mind.
My memory is vague on the details, but I believe it had a burst disk to maintain a 5 psi pressure.

Seems like if you had the Estes in a sealed container that could hold an atmosphere or so, even black powder ought to work. You might need a special binder to keep it from falling apart after many cycles.

Back