Estes motor age?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueNinja

Reaction score
I just recieved some OLD estes motors (for example, the packeage says "New! Igniterplug technology!") and I was wondering if they would be OK. Far as I can tell, they are all still certed. I don't know anything else about the age though.

This could prove to be a little dicey, only because the motors have not been in your possession up until now.

Who knows how they were stored or handled or treated?

If they've been stored in a relatively cool and dry place and haven't been disturbed or jostled much (ie dropped), they'll be fine (as quite a few of our participants here can attest.)

If *not*..... well, can you say CATO?

I know nothing about how they were stored, i might be able to find out tomorrow. I wanna keep one out of each pack, unless i have 2 packs of the same kind, for collection purposes (Hey, A8-3's could go OOP someday!)

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
I know nothing about how they were stored, i might be able to find out tomorrow. I wanna keep one out of each pack, unless i have 2 packs of the same kind, for collection purposes (Hey, A8-3's could go OOP someday!)

Is there a copyright notice anywhere on the package? If so, at least you could know that the motors are no older than the copyright date.

like seo says check the code, you could always put one in the ground nozzle up and ignite one

I just shot off an Estes E15-8 which has been OOP for what 10 years. It screamed. I was worried because the other one in the package CATO'd on me about 10 years ago, but I had to try it.
So you see, 1 was good and 1 was bad from the same package. I say you'll probably have no problem, and if you do.....DUCK!!!!

Thats exactly why they recalled the E15's...
Had the same experence when they were brand new. daughter and I entered and E Eggloft event. we each used a motor from the same package E15-4's it think.. She won, Mine Catoed:D the luck of the Irish...Glad it was Dad's that Catoed;)

As far as Vintage (Very OLD) Bp motors... it's been poven in several studys that unlike APCP motors, BP motors do not degrade much over extended periods (30 or 40 years) and with the exception of making an x cut in the clay caps of the old motor's they'll work just fine as long as they have been kept in a stabe enviornment. I regularly fly BP motors for the early 70's.. To date only problem has been no ejection if I forget to x the clay caps, which have hardened alike a rock.

I'd say find out where your motors were stored, if they were kept in the house, for someplace with a stable (reasonable) temp range they'll be fine.
Hope this helps.

Just static fire one in a suitable place ie : desert and a suitable static firer. Or if you have any , a rocket that isn't realy of use no more & a LONG launch controller cable :D

Back