Estes Monarch and another paint scheme that needs a copyright

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spacecowboy

Reaction score
I spent a LOT of time on this one, and the fins are perfectly aligned (out of 100 rox, I finally got one right).
I'd enter this one in a presentation contest, but I need to get better at the paint. It's real hard, even with the expensive blue masking tape, to prevent a "bleed". I have 3 almost unnoticeable bleeds, my best paint yet.

The camera flash makes it look like the blue did not cover the white, but it did.

And has anyone done a fin-can paint scheme like this before ???? If so, I did not copy it, this was something I dreamed up. I think it is sweet.

Originally posted by spacecowboy
I spent a LOT of time on this one, and the fins are perfectly aligned (out of 100 rox, I finally got one right).
I'd enter this one in a presentation contest, but I need to get better at the paint. It's real hard, even with the expensive blue masking tape, to prevent a "bleed". I have 3 almost unnoticeable bleeds, my best paint yet.

The camera flash makes it look like the blue did not cover the white, but it did.

And has anyone done a fin-can paint scheme like this before ???? If so, I did not copy it, this was something I dreamed up. I think it is sweet.

Well, yes.

shrox

Good job.

I use a dual action airbrush to prevent bleeds.

Dual action lets you vary the ratio of air to paint. The first
coats have a lot of air--the paint is much less likely to bleed.
The final coat can have a lot of paint for that glossy finish.

Big bucks, but if you want that perfect paint job :rolleyes:

Getting that perfect photo--you might experiment with manual settings to decrease the aperature or shutter speed. The camera is set for objects farther away--a close object will result in overexposure. Alternately, you could just put some tracing paper or tissue in front of the flash.

Nicely done! It's great to push one's skills... sometimes you can impress even yourself! :)

Ok, several Q's -

Flying_silverad, are you talking about something besides the 3M blue tape that is about $5 per roll ?

Zack, shouldn't auto on a digital cam do a better job than this ? It's a Canon power shot a40, relatively low end. Takes great day time shots, as do all dig cams....thx for the idea on cooling off the flash, try it next time.

Everybody else, thx for the compliments. I spend too much time dreaming up new paint schemes.

I like the paint job ,,
fits the monarch real well!

Back