Estes models of Russian rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apogee sells an N1 model by a german company but it is not 1/100 and it's the most complex rocket kit ever created. The N1 has too many structural issues to safely be created into a mass production kit and flown.

Other than the SA-2061 Sasha, has Estes marketed any other Russian or Soviet model rockets?

Sasha isn't a scale model just a scale-style model, and no. Russian rockets tend to have really complex shapes that are difficult to produce in mass-market kits. Other companies have done it, but Estes has not.

Other than the SA-2061 Sasha, has Estes marketed any other Russian or Soviet model rockets?

Strictly speaking, SA-2061 Sasha is not a scaled copy of an actual rocket, Russian or otherwise. In Estes's words that kit is "inspired by Russian military design".
Beyond this item, I can't recall any Russian kits from Estes.

Not sure. But a 1:100 scale N1 is badly needed.

I thought BoyceAerospace used to sell "builders kits" of Russian models, but I can't find any on their web site right now. Maybe they didn't sell all that well?
https://boyceaerospacehobbies.com/

Personally, I have minimal interest in N1.
It was a failure of a rocket, and it doesn't look all that attractive to my eyes.
The Altaira Rocketry kit (on Apogee, eRockets, and eBay) is fairly rough paper kit.

If you want to try your hand at building Altaira's N1, buy it directly from the source, and skip Apogee's surcharges:
https://www.ebay.com/str/altairarocketry

a

Last edited:
Whoa! Talk about coincidence! Just the subject I need in this exact moment!

As others have said, The Estes Sasha is not an actual Missile, but inspired/generalization on primarily the SA-2B Guideline / B-750 Dvina as well as couple of other CCCP missiles. (See attached photo of actual Missile)

That said, it would be less difficult to build the SA-2B as a single stage rocket, if you don/t mind lots of fins, and an interesting inter-stage coupler to contend with. (Rocketarium does have the SA-2B - Sustainer only - as a kit by the way)

Unfortunately, I am NOT doing a single stage, <sigh> but rather the full blown multi stage version. I scaled it based on the Booster being a BT-60. (BT-60 on the booster, BT-55 for the Sustainer, 3mm Plywood fins, 24mm MMTs, electronic staging...)

The 'or' Sim file is done, (gets tweaked a lot though!), the Booster is complete. I am rebuilding the inter-stage 'coupling' part of the Inter-stage assy. today actually as my first idea recessed the sustainer motor mount 8mm into the fairing, (which I didn't want)

While it's not going quickly - it's collection of issues to figure out - it is coming along nicely! And hey, that's the fun of it!

Anyway, feel free to reach out if you are thinking of building one.

Oh, and don't start with the Sasha Kit. Assuming you have parts BT's etc, lying about, you only really need the nosecone/nozzle from it and that you can get in the BT-60 nosecone set.

I could start a build thread if anyone is interested...

Attachments

• Screen-Shot-2018-04-30-at-22.18.57.png
    Screen-Shot-2018-04-30-at-22.18.57.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 25
I was hoping for an SS-20, but instead I've ordered an Estes ESAM-58 from Hobby Lobby. Not a true scale model it seems, but maybe resembling a Kh-58? It would be very nice to have an Estes Pershing 1-A, but probably too rare to find for $12.

You would need to add a zero to the end of your $12 . . . Possibly, one or both of the other two numbers would nee to change, also.

Dave F.

You would need to add a zero to the end of your $12 . . . Possibly, one or both of the other two numbers would nee to change, also.

Dave F.
Likely so. In my year of born again rocketry, I've stretched to build 3 dozen models with ten left to fly. But so far only one scale model. In the coming year, I hope to add at least two or three more. :)

Back