Estes Model Rockets: A Brief History

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spent years trying to get the full video footage of the Astro-Blue Bonnet Bowl Saturn V launch and have never been able to find it.

I once bought a vhs video of the game but it didn't include the half time show.

I remember reading an Estes article many years ago where they talked about the machine that made nosecones ,
When the machine finished a nosecone there was a "pop" when the machine ejected the nosecone.
This "popping" noise lead the machine being nicknamed " Mary Poppins "

Thanks for the memories as I have been in rocketry since the early 1960s and will quit when they put me 6 foot under đź‘Ť

Thanks for sharing that Estes video :)
They were a big part of my childhood :)

In the tour Bill gave us last Sunday for NARCON, he showed us Mabel but didn't explain why it's named Mabel, so now we know. Perhaps they don't want to mention it because it is a bit chauvinistic.

SR: Why “Mabel” for the name of the rocket motor making machine?
Vern: For a short time a fellow by the name of Rudy Strong operated her. Mabel was designed to shut down if any part of the operation was not as it should be. On some occasions you would press the start button and nothing would happen. Then again, just when you thought you could turn your back on her and walk away she would turn off again. Rudy started calling her Mabel with the comment that he knew a lady by that name who was stubborn and acted exactly like that. Others operators agreed and the name stuck.

For some reason my computer saves any .pdf to the downloads folder, which I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that.
I noticed this says Part 2. Can you please list a web address that this, and other articles?
I like to save this kind of stuff to my hard drive so I can go back and reread it later.
Especially if I get a new computer and loose the book marks.
Thank You Kindly.

For some reason my computer saves any .pdf to the downloads folder, which I can't figure out how to stop it from doing that.
I noticed this says Part 2. Can you please list a web address that this, and other articles?
I like to save this kind of stuff to my hard drive so I can go back and reread it later.
Thank You Kindly.
Hi Woody, check this link for your PDF issue:
https://pdf.wondershare.com/pdf-knowledge/view-pdf-in-browser.html

Thank You Kindly.
It is a browser setting.....If using Chrome click on 3 dots (right hand side)>>Settings>>advanced>>downloads>>change

If using MS Excite...click on 3 dots..>downloads>click on downloads... 3 dots and click on Change

The first part of the url that Cape Byron posted has the links to all the Sport Rocketry articles as well as a Launch magazine article and lots of other Vern Estes goodies.

www.vernestes.com

Latest posts

Back