Estes Mini Shuttle

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
As requested in another thread here are some pictures of my Mini Shuttle :)

The kit was sold between 1983 - 1988 and started at $4.00 at the time.

It has a diameter of 1.63" is 9.37" long and comes down via streamer recovery.

I have flown the Mini Shuttle 3 times, 15 or so years ago (If I remember correctly).

Pic1:
minishuttle.jpg

Pic2:
minishuttle_2_pic.jpg

Pic3:
minishuttle_3_pic.jpg

Pic4:
minishuttle_4_pic.jpg

Pic5:
minishuttle_5_pic.jpg

I've been considering building this rocket by bashing a Baby Bertha kit and having "Phred" (astronboy) make me a set of decals. I know the plans are out there (I think JimZ's, but it may be YORS.)

Anyway - that thing was set up for 13mm power, wasn't it? I'm thinking 24mm power, even if a tad of nose weight is necessary... :)

It uses "C" engines and the nose cone needs clay to add weight up front.

The Baby Bertha would be perfect to clone the mini Shuttle :)

OK leo, fess up. What are you using to hold up these
rockets in your pictures? I can't see any visible means of support.

I had one of those :). My paint cracked up on the nosecone, so you have a better paint job than mine ;). Flew great on C6-7's.

Very nicely done!

I'm thinking of building one as well. But I noticed something interesting - the Mini Shuttle is the same configuration as the Goonybirds - 5" BT-60, same nose cone. The only difference is the engine mount - the Goonies used a 13mm motor in them, and would fly on as small an engine as the 1/2A3-4T. I wonder if using the smaller motor and motor mount would make enough difference in balance that you wouldn't need the nose weight?

Something else I'm already playing with is creating an mmx version using the mosquito nose, and a 42mm long BT-5 body tube. I'll probably use cardstock fins to make it easier to construct. But according to Rocsim, a BT-5 based microshuttle with an mmx motor will still do over 200 feet!

More on this as I start building.

Greg

I agree with gus.

A VERY clean paint job. What kind of masking tape do you use?

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

Have to smile as the person who asked this thread be opened hasn't made a comment so far :)

@Justin
I use the standard scotch tape (the glosy clear kind)

@brianc

Ok, I'll fess up. This is what I call the "You'll get lucky at one point" photo shot out. First I wait for a sunny day. I then get a helping hand, usually my bro. He's an expert ;)
He lays down on the ground. When I count down 3. 2. 1. he throws the model in the air. For that split second I hammer the trigger on my digi cam. Voila :D

Sorry, Leo. I guess your post just scratched my itch--thanks for posting the info. I had no idea this was a kit.

BT-80 upscale anyone???

Now you'll need to post a thread on photography in techniques!

MetMan

Originally posted by Leo
@brianc

Ok, I'll fess up. This is what I call the "You'll get lucky at one point" photo shot out. First I wait for a sunny day. I then get a helping hand, usually my bro. He's an expert ;)
He lays down on the ground. When I count down 3. 2. 1. he throws the model in the air. For that split second I hammer the trigger on my digi cam. Voila :D

LOL! Excellent! Simple elegance! I wish I had thought of it- of course, now I must
swipe the technique. :)

Originally posted by brianc
LOL! Excellent! Simple elegance! I wish I had thought of it- of course, now I must
swipe the technique. :)

Brian, puh-leeze don't tell me you fell for that! Oh man...Leo's telling a whopper on this one! :D :p

Leo,

I keep coming back to this thread just to look at your rocket.

So I want to add to my earlier comment.

That's REALLY REALLY beautiful! :D

Originally posted by Leo
For that split second I hammer the trigger on my digi cam. Voila :D

WOW! I've never seen one of these before. Do you have to go to school for a long time to learn to play a digi cam viola? What kind of orchestra would feature one of these?

Nice pics. Mine never made it to the decal stage. I painted it, then quickly flew it to death.

I have one of those also. Tried to take a picture but my batteries are dead. I was planning on attending a club launch this weekend, maybe I'll add it to the group of rockets I plan on flying. I'll get some new batteries and post pictures, you guys know I always do.

Originally posted by MetMan
Sorry, Leo. I guess your post just scratched my itch--thanks for posting the info. I had no idea this was a kit.

BT-80 upscale anyone???

Now you'll need to post a thread on photography in techniques!

MetMan

Huuummmmmmmm! I'm thinking... I'm thinking....

TonyF

Great looking rocket Leo, and thanks for posting.
I've got a set of shuttle decals that came in a Designer's kit a couple years ago. I've had no idea what to do with them until now. :)

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Great looking rocket Leo, and thanks for posting.
I've got a set of shuttle decals that came in a Designer's kit a couple years ago. I've had no idea what to do with them until now. :)

Tim

Great idea.. Dug out my set of decals from the Designer Special.. Pefect except for the detail work on the "wings".

But, BT-80 ??

Looked at my FatBoy. Printed out a trial set of larger decals on plain paper stock to test for size.. "Houston, I think we have a kit bash!"

Now, to get another FatBoy kit. Fliskit cluster??? :D

TonyF

Back