Estes Mini Heli question...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
welp, i overcompensated for the thread hole and crunched the heli... so now it's getting a revamp with a rear-ejection.
taped over the big burn holes with a tiny thread hole. thread stuck to the tape (duh, i know) and we had a lawn dart.
the rear is crunched because i did that trying to remove a stuck motor.
white glue this time :D
fix in progress. rear eject the fin can with a kevlar thread attached to a ring in the nose.
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0698-sm.JPG

Yeah me too. :)

Your approach is much simpler, and seems to have a higher likelihood of success. The only potential pitfall I can see is excessive stress at the Kevlar mount points at ejection (vs. mine, which will even more likely suffer excessive stress at the stoppers).

The only potential pitfall I can see is excessive stress at the Kevlar mount points at ejection
the ol' shock cord 3x body length stuff. because that's really what it is. and ya, my cord is pretty short. I sliced an engine tube into 1/4" lengths and tied the kevlar to those.

Looks familiar. I used a yellow insert tube to replace the crunched tube and recut the slots.

1619769070810.png

It eventually landed. I added clay to the NC to keep it stable but means that it lands NC down.

Looks familiar. I used a yellow insert tube to replace the crunched tube and recut the slots.

View attachment 462277

It eventually landed. I added clay to the NC to keep it stable but means that it lands NC down.

Helis can be weird. Sometimes they deploy perfectly and come down inverted for no clear reason. A classic was the Estes Cosmic Cobra (another much better version is the HeliCat, if you have a choice, get the HeliCat. Almost same rocket but significantly longer body tube, MUCH easier to prep and MUCH higher chance of successful deployment.)

anyhoooo, both rockets have a nose cone with rotors that completely separates from the rocket body, which comes down by parachute. The rotors are folded and stowed INSIDE the body tube at launch and take up a LOT of space, hence my STRONG preference for the HeliCat, Cosmic Cobra is waaaaay too tight.

the nose cone SHOULD and normally DOES come down pointy end first, “hanging” from the rotors. But it is not uncommon for the nose to come down rotors first, pointy end up. I have seen the same thing with many helicopter rockets, it defies intuition and logic, but it happens. Generally, other than looking weird, the rocket recovery is safe and with no damage even if it comes down inverted, and don’t be surprised if you reload and fly it the same day and the recovery on the next flight is “normal” with the rotors up and the body and tail of the rocket down.

so save your pennies! Just my 3 cents worth (inflation, ya know).

loved the enTHUUUUSiasm on the successful launch video! That’s when model rocketry is at its best!

Helis can be weird. Sometimes they deploy perfectly and come down inverted for no clear reason. A classic was the Estes Cosmic Cobra (another much better version is the HeliCat, if you have a choice, get the HeliCat. Almost same rocket but significantly longer body tube, MUCH easier to prep and MUCH higher chance of successful deployment.)
My Flip-Flier has done that several times. It's really strange watching it descend with the blades underneath. Everything about it just looks wrong and out of balance.

My Flip-Flier has done that several times. It's really strange watching it descend with the blades underneath. Everything about it just looks wrong and out of balance.
I think it's an Australian Virus. Probably the Covert-19 variant. maybe @OverTheTop can explain it.

In any case, the rule, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" applies. If it comes down upside down but otherwise performs as expected, enjoy the variety and don't mess with it! (And tell the spectators, "Yeah, I built it that way!")

I think it's an Australian Virus. Probably the Covert-19 variant.
More likely an American one. Most of the parts follow the science but a significant portion does not. Screws up the entire operation.
Apologies to OvertheTop and CapeByron. We try to keep Babar on a leash but sometimes he gets into other peoples' yards. But he's a good puppy. 😁

Those yellow tubes are also not that sturdy. Nothing a wrap or two of paper around them can't cure, though. :)

Old motor cases work but are quite heavy.

I strengthened the tube with thin layer of epoxy.

loved the enTHUUUUSiasm on the successful launch video! That’s when model rocketry is at its best!

The Flip Flier is a lot less finicky. The conditions have to be just right for the Heli to work properly (and not break something on landing). That being said, it's much more satisfying when it actually works. Same with the Custom Egg Lofter. I've only recovered one egg and broken two NC but it was awesome when it worked.

More likely an American one. Most of the parts follow the science but a significant portion does not. Screws up the entire operation.
Apologies to OvertheTop and CapeByron. We try to keep Babar on a leash but sometimes he gets into other peoples' yards. But he's a good puppy. 😁
And I've had my shots!
And mostly house trained

Flight 1 was beautiful. worked flawlessly.
Flight 2 had a red baron, the tail was hanging over a blade. dont know how that happened. bounce?
so, is the solution a shorter tail thread or a longer one? or no dangle? no dangle might be a bit of tricky engineering

So I finally got a good video of this. Works flawlessly now. It's gone up before but i forgot to provide evidence. Launched twice today. Love how the frame rate makes it look like six blades. Ha
Per the previous message from May when it red-baroned: you can see how short the tail thread is in the video. Almost impossible for it to catch the blades.
View attachment IMG_0929.mp4

Last edited:
Back