Estes Mercury/Atlas Kit NIB

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck

Reaction score
I picked up an Estes, Masters Series, Mercury/Atlas rocket kit, EST 2111that I was planning to build for the grands and I to fly in the back field.
I am definitely not a master builder, probably not even a novice, and I think this must be to nice a kit to trash.
Any suggestions on what would be a good amateur build, and where I can rehome this kit? Value?
It is new in the box with the original plastic wrap.
Thanks

Attachments

• 15804147404096934171418224548774.jpg
    15804147404096934171418224548774.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 72
These are currently OOP and are still highly collectible. I would first say hang on to it for awhile if you think you might want to build it at a later date. Around $200 give or take on the popular auction site.

Just an edit there was speculation that Estes might try and reintroduce this kit along with other “Man in Space” scale models. Nothing so far and I would guess it would be $$$ for them to do so.

As I recall I saw one e-bay about 5 weeks ago go for $125

Yes a couple have gone below $150 recently. I think back in December. That was in the same time frame that some opened Centuri Little Joe kits went for real low amounts as well. More recent Mercury Atlas kits have ticked up closer to $200.

Just keep an eye on eBay. They show up pretty regularly.

Last edited:
Yes a couple have gone below $150 recently. I think back in December. That was in the same time frame that some opened Centuri Little Joe kits went for real low amounts as well. More recent Mercury Atlas kits have ticked up closer to $200.

Just keep an eye on eBay. They show up pretty regularly.
What ever the market will bare

I picked up an Estes, Masters Series, Mercury/Atlas rocket kit, EST 2111 that I was planning to build for the grands and I to fly in the back field.
I am definitely not a master builder, probably not even a novice, and I think this must be to nice a kit to trash.

No worries, set it aside (or list on "Yard Sale" section of this forum, or eBay), and practice your building skills on another kit, for now:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/forums/yard-sale-wanted.20/

Any suggestions on what would be a good amateur build

If you are into historical rockets, the Estes Mercury is a fun build. The only mildly tricky part are the fins, but even those are nearly impossible to screw up.
https://estesrockets.com/product/001921-mercury-redstone/

If you want something simpler still, grab anything that catches your eye from the "intermediate" Estes selection:
https://estesrockets.com/product-category/rockets/intermediate/

HTH,
a

I will say one thing about the Redstone: I just found out the hard way that masking that roll pattern on the fins and tube base is a tough exercise, and Frog Tape is likely not the best choice. I got some serious tape underbleed and now I have a mess on my hands. Also, with regards to the Redstone: Chris (hcmbanjo), a poster here and maker of fine Odd'l Rockets, has a complete build blog of this kit here: https://modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com/2015/08/estes-mercury-redstone-1921-build.html Well, actually that's the last post, but if you get that you'll find the rest.

But it is a fine-looking kit. As well, you may consider using a stuffer tube - that's a lot of volume for a little ejection charge to fill, and this is one rocket you don't want to see heading back down nose first!

Don't look to Ebay for price ideas, people jack the prices up just because it's out of production. In reality, a kit is only worth what people will pay for it. Estes kits are just that, they're Estes. My go-to for figuring out the worth of an out of production rocket is MSRP + inflation.

Don't look to Ebay for price ideas, people jack the prices up just because it's out of production. In reality, a kit is only worth what people will pay for it. Estes kits are just that, they're Estes. My go-to for figuring out the worth of an out of production rocket is MSRP + inflation.

Your statement makes no sense.

In reality, what people pay on Ebay is what people are willing to pay for it. Sellers don't jack up the prices, buyers do. Buyers jack up the prices because that's what they're willing to pay.

Your statement makes no sense.

In reality, what people pay on Ebay is what people are willing to pay for it. Sellers don't jack up the prices, buyers do. Buyers jack up the prices because that's what they're willing to pay.
I don't think that's true. I think the historical value of an item can be based on economic resources of the manufacturer at the time the item was made or manufactured and the number of items. eBay sellers tend to lend to other equation based on sentimental value, which really has no value so in theory you are paying for what someone "feels" an item is worth and not what it is actually worth. If you calculate the rate of inflation by the number of years the item has been out by the economic growth increase chart or production cost you will come up with a more accurate figure in which to sell any particular item on eBay or anywhere. It's no different of a tire store sells a 100 tires on a weekend sale with an estimated discount value of 15% when in fact that estimated value is only based on a yearly growth calculator and not economic growth rate production sales charts, which would yield a more reasonable price over an extended period of time verses a weekend sale.

You can do a custom search on eBay to show completed listing with final selling price for each listing. After you start a search, look for the options in the left hand column at the bottom.

eBay_Search_Option.jpg

Good tip Tobor. I checked the last three sales, average selling price was $219.
Law of supply and demand: sellers will charge what the market will bear.
And bidders will decide what the final price will be at an auction.
The market rules.

Wow... I figure that must be the same Centuri capsule/tower on the current Estes (ex-Centuri) Mercury-Redstone, also 1/35th scale. NOT FUN to put together, quite challenging, but worth it in the end. Use the Original Centuri instructions, as posted by Chris M. on his blog.

Or you can spend the big bucks and get a much nicer capsule/tower on Shapeways... Good "show capsule" (an idea I got from kurinin, thank you!).

Has somebody mentioned there is a poll on Estes's website to bring these back into production? That may shoot you value down, so keep an eye on it.

Wow... I figure that must be the same Centuri capsule/tower on the current Estes (ex-Centuri) Mercury-Redstone, also 1/35th scale. NOT FUN to put together, quite challenging, but worth it in the end. Use the Original Centuri instructions, as posted by Chris M. on his blog.

Or you can spend the big bucks and get a much nicer capsule/tower on Shapeways... Good "show capsule" (an idea I got from kurinin, thank you!).

Has somebody mentioned there is a poll on Estes's website to bring these back into production? That may shoot you value down, so keep an eye on it.

I believe it was mentioned at the last NARCON that Estes wants to bring back all of the old Space Age kits and make them permanent due to their history.

Well, that would be cool. But I'd like it if they improved that capsule model. I just learned about the "10 ft" rule for model rockets, but I like mine looking good up close if I can.

Back