Estes Mercury Atlas Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally launched it. F12J-3. Went straight up.
[youtube]7kCnER010VQ[/youtube]

CG was at 22.25 from tip of the aerodynamic spike.

Last edited:
Hey that's a NEAT way to do a build thread... :) Too bad I don't have the skills for it... :)

Nice liftoff shot too... any tracking vids of the flight??

Nice rocket! KUTGW!! OL JR :)

Having built and flown the Merc Atlas, I can say it's an impressive looking rocket that delivers awesome slow liftoffs and great flights on a D12-3. It is a bit challenging, especially having to hand cut all those chrome strips to fit, but well worth it. If you can get your hands on one I recommend it!

Glenn

[youtube]AAWO5Z1w194[/youtube]

Recovered with only one chute, an 20" Aerotech parachute, and 10' of shock chord. Broke both fins off of one fin pod, when it landed on soft plowed field. I had dropped the capsule months earlier, breaking off the aerodynamic spike. So launched without the spike. All scale pieces remained intact.

Last edited:
Great video of the Merc Atlas.
I was looking through my hardware store the other day and came across a product that may give scale models that"ready to launch "look.
Most launch vehicles have an ice coating on them from the LOX.
I found a spray snow product one would put on a window to simulate frost.
Has anyone tried this on an Atlas???
Seems to me that it would look good.
Thoughts???
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays etc.
MarkT

Great video of the Merc Atlas.
I was looking through my hardware store the other day and came across a product that may give scale models that"ready to launch "look.
Most launch vehicles have an ice coating on them from the LOX.
I found a spray snow product one would put on a window to simulate frost.
Has anyone tried this on an Atlas???

To apply "frost", I would recommend Krylon white primer, sprayed from a sufficient distance to attain a rough finish.

:DThanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. This stuff was made to spray on glass to make it frosty.
I'll test on a scrap tube first.
PS I worked at a label shop a while back and they use a chrome product made by Fasson for labeling purposes.
They gave me a hunk that was too small to use on the printers.
I've had it for over 10 years.
Used it on a LOT of rockets.
Which reminds me... need to get more.
My 2 cents....
Mark T

Your mercury atlas look awesome and the videos were great thanks:)
Cheers
fred

Mine is done up for the Faith 7 flight and only flown twice. Once on a D12-3 and once on an Aerotech E15-4W. Fin damage on both flights.

I have had fin damge on most of my flights as well.
Cheers
Fred

Thanks for all the complements.

I had some questions via pm. Thought i would answer them here for everyone to see.

>1) What type of bonding did you use for the plastics themselves? (i.e. >Testors liquid cement?)
>2) What type of bonding did you use for attaching the plastics and vacuum pieces to the body tube (i.e. Testor contact cement, RC-56, epoxy, etc.?)
>3) What type of primer did you use?
>4) What type of finishing paint(s) did you use?
>5) When all finished, did you spray the entire model with any Krylon Clear Coat?

1) I used Testor's red label liquid cement for plastic models, for the Tower assembly.
2) The wraps/fairings/etc were attached using thick cyanoacrylate (crazy glue). Gaps were filled with Fix-It Epxoy Clay. Rubbing alcohol to smooth out the epoxy clay.
3) Duplicolor white primer.
4) Duplicolor: universal flat black, some shade of silver, some shade of red.
5) Prior to applying monokote-like strips, i clear coated the entire rocket. I did apply decals to the capsule prior to applying monokote-like strips, so the decals on the capsule are protected by clear coat, while the remaining decals are not protected by clear coat.

Back