Estes Menace

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
Hi gang,
I thought I would share a pic of my completed Estes Menace.

This is the first kit I've built in a long time that I didn't Mod !!
Well...except for a Quest style shockcord set up and the color

ahhhhhhh, that's still a mod! It's not possible to build EXACTLY per directions. Ingrained behavior to modify for improvement is in every rocket guy's genes.... can't resist evolution!

neat model too, I can never ever seem to totally complete a rocket, don't know why... i mean finishing... maybe subconsciously its my way to prepare for the inevitable "flight anomoly" every rocket faces.

Me, too. But my current experience as a BAR has shown me where improvements/alterations could be made... even on rockets currently in production!

And Towlie, i understand your point - i've got two naked birds i've been shying away from, and probably for the same reasons as yours. Most notably, don't want to sink tons of time and $$ into finishing only to provide exquisite hors d'ouevres for tree.

BTW - that Menace is a wikked looking rocket. I didn't see it in the Estes 2003 catalog, tho. How old is that kit?

Towelie ,,he he .!!!!..yea... your right , the urge to modify things is hard to resist...

but, I can't think of updating the typical estes shock cord as a mod ...rather a requirement!

I sure wish that Estes would supply shockcords "at least" 2X the length of the rocket...

One of our club members built a bt-80 version of this kit .with a
2x) 24mm setup...With the big wings and scoop and Bigger grin ..She was a definate attention getter!!!..

I plan to build one ...I mean...Well...I'll just add It to the list...LOL

I have the Menace also. It's a really mean looking rocket to me. I'm just about to finish mine this weekend. I've painted mine Gloss Aircraft Gray with a Gloss Black nose cone. I want to add some extra detailing perhaps in red.

I like the metal rings on yours. what type of material do you use for that?

Regards,
Todd

Originally posted by stymye
Towelie ,,he he .!!!!..yea... your right , the urge to modify things is hard to resist...

but, I can't think of updating the typical estes shock cord as a mod ...rather a requirement!

I sure wish that Estes would supply shockcords "at least" 2X the length of the rocket...

One of our club members built a bt-80 version of this kit .with a
2x) 24mm setup...With the big wings and scoop and Bigger grin ..She was a definate attention getter!!!..

I plan to build one ...I mean...Well...I'll just add It to the list...LOL
IT SHOULD BE CALLED AN AIRWORTHINESS DIRECTIVE!

Stymye,
She looks pretty good! I've got one setting around here somewhere still bagged up. I've also thought about upscaling it, to 2.6", with a 29mm mount. Or, if I ever get to L1, possibly a 4" version. The Menace is just a cool looking bird in any size. I wouldn't call modifying the shock cord a true mod, it's a necessity on any Estes kit :)

That looks excellent....if i coiuld get my rockets anywhere near that standard i would be a happy man..Just out of interest could you give a brief outline of how you painted it please....

Originally posted by Towelie

neat model too, I can never ever seem to totally complete a rocket, don't know why... i mean finishing... maybe subconsciously its my way to prepare for the inevitable "flight anomoly" every rocket faces.

OMG!!! I thought I was the only one! Really though, I feel like I need to go to a rocketeer A.A. for modelers that can't seem to complete a rocket! I love scratchbuilding, crafting, and assembling, but typically I end up at the naked bird phase where I somehow refuse to finish it. It's like there is some pre-flight anxiety about losing the model that doesn't allow me to complete it!

See the attached picture. This *was* my Launchpad HAWK MIM23A. It used to be a desktop queen. I loved seeing it on my desktop and it kind of was a trophy of my building and finishing capability. (For those of you that know of The Launch Pad kits, it's almost like you're scratchbuilding since there are no decals nor the parts to make the boat tail and nosecone cap.) Just last month I took it off the desk and vowed to give it some air time. This was to be its 2nd flight ever! Well, the inevitable happened and my fears came to be. All I could do is shake my head and I kept telling myself "You told yourself you wouldn't fly it."

Now I am just scarred with the fear of trying again. I put a lot of effort into that HAWK. People might say that this is part of the hobby, but **** it hurts!

Sorry to have hijacked this thread stymye, but hang it from the ceiling, put in on your desk, or put it in a glass case 'cause she's a beauty! Resist the urge to fly it!

sorry about the hawk,it looks like its had a proper smash.Ive just built a Launchpad harpoon.I just gave it a coat of primer and a couple of coats of green mettallic paint and it looks fine but it flew really great,I got a nice slow lift off because i hadto fly it on a D motor.I think the launch pad rockets are the best.I get real satisfaction out of building them because of the range of techniques needed to complete them.The only problem is they are allmost impossible to get here in the U.K.:mad:

The launch video on Eugene's site is awesome:cool:

Arthur,

On the Menace ,I built it naked first than fill-n-finish for the balsa parts ..I used bondo spot putty for the spiral grooves..and a very thin layer of spot putty over the fillets just to smooth them out a little....also a little spot putty where the cardstock piece meets the Body tube..and on the nosecone groove...sanded it all down ... 2 coats of krylon brown primer.. lightly wet sanded the primer with 400 grit wet dry paper,,,the color is krylon "Woven Tapestry"...the silver bands are automotive pin striping than I applied the decals and a layer of krylon clear....

the wet sanding really makes a difference and the brown krylon primer fills and sands really nice...most of the work is the filling and sanding..(I hate sanding) but It makes all the difference

Is krylon a special model paint...I just use car paint and seems to be a bit heavy for light model work??

Arthur,

Krylon is just a typical all purpose indoor/outdoor spray paint. You can find it at Walmart, hardware stores, craft stores, etc... It sure does make a nice finish though. I'm switching from Testors to Krylon for most things. I just like the way it goes on, and it looks real nice when it's done.

Regards,
Todd

The only real problem I have with Krylon is poor performance of the gloss colors in high humidity. There is an awful lot of haze unless you pick a low humidity day. Except the odd day here and there, the only times I can paint are late spring and early fall, it seems. Rest of the time it is too cold or too humid. :(
I will have to start trying to find some humidity tolerant paints I guess. I end up with too many projects at the paint stage all at one time waiting for a good day, and it is not my favorite part of building. Too much of it at once and I start dreading it, instead of enjoying the process as I should.

yep...I found out the hard way about spray not going on in high temps.We've just had a heat wave in the u.k.and my spraying went all runny and lumpy:mad:

Rbecky,
I think I solved the humidity problem......
try some of the enamel paints like duplicolor.they are pretty resilient to blushing and the gloss colors are outstanding!

the biggest difference you will notice is that the enamel colors go on pretty thick compared to krylon,so it's not hard to get a run or two.

so if you don't have a can gun,definately get one($3-5).....you will be amazed at the spray control you will gain!

Back