Estes Mega Der Red Max nosecones are available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grabbed two of the body tubes to go with......all shipped already, unfortunately with the USPS......🤦🏻‍♂️🤣. Supposed to arrive tomorrow........I’ll not be holding my breath.

Whew! Glad I didn’t hold my breath! “Arriving late”, now.........😂

I just ordered one to make a clone MDRM.

On e-rockets, they are out of stock for the fins. Rocketry Works has the 1/8" ply replacements. Has anyone used their fins, if so, how good are they, and are you happy with them - thanks.

Also check Vander-Burn rockets.
Yes - just checked them out. Both the erockets and Vanderburn fins are the composite ply center with balsa skins. The Rocketry Works is just the 1/8" ply - no skin. Besides a slight nominal weight, is there an advantage/disadvantage to NOT having a balsa skin? I can always add a 1/16" balsa to the fins - but why if they are really not needed?

I have used Rocket works for a few fins and while they are great quality, I found them to be somewhat flexible which is fine for some rockets but I would want something stiff for a rocket the size and weight of a MDRM

Yes - just checked them out. Both the erockets and Vanderburn fins are the composite ply center with balsa skins. The Rocketry Works is just the 1/8" ply - no skin. Besides a slight nominal weight, is there an advantage/disadvantage to NOT having a balsa skin? I can always add a 1/16" balsa to the fins - but why if they are really not needed?
Stick with the layered fin design with the balsa skins. This is the same as the original Estes design.

I just ordered one to make a clone MDRM.

On e-rockets, they are out of stock for the fins. Rocketry Works has the 1/8" ply replacements. Has anyone used their fins, if so, how good are they, and are you happy with them - thanks.

I have the fins from Rocketry Works for my MDMR clone and they are perfect. Could not recommend enough.

I think the balsa skin fins look better. They are chunky, like an MDRM is supposed to be.

I like thicc fins, and I cannot lie
You rocketeers can’t deny

...now I gotta get Mark at Stickershock to make me these...

Attachments

• MDRM.pdf
    266.2 KB · Views: 47
I asked Randy at eRockets about their fin set, apparently balsa is so tough to get, he has no idea when he’ll be able to have them available again. My Original MDRM is getting pretty beat up from flying on I200 motors (probably a dozen flights) so am getting parts together for eventual replacement. Have the BT, NC, CRs. Could probably salvage the original fins, they’re really tough.

I asked Randy at eRockets about their fin set, apparently balsa is so tough to get, he has no idea when he’ll be able to have them available again. My Original MDRM is getting pretty beat up from flying on I200 motors (probably a dozen flights) so am getting parts together for eventual replacement. Have the BT, NC, CRs. Could probably salvage the original fins, they’re really tough.

So I got the fins from Rocketry Works and using 1/32" basswood in lieu of the 1/16" skins, it's noticeable up close but works compared to my stock MDRM.
The RW fins do not have the cutouts like the Estes, Vander-Burn or e-rockets, so I don't know how much significant weight difference there is. Plus I used a thinner skin (although heavier) basswood rather than balsa. Maybe a push overall?

the biggest difference was the size of the Rocketry Works fin - a bit larger (taller at the root edge, 7-1/4" vs. 7-12") than the Estes.

Primed and deciding what theme for color and Stickershock vinyl.20210111_103109.jpg

Attachments

• 20210111_102944.jpg
    20210111_102944.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 16
Back