Estes Mean Machine mods ?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeta

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I scored an Estes Mean Machine, it wasn't really on my list of wanted rockets so I am considering mods. I was thinking about using 3 tubes instead of 4 and maybe adding split fins.

Just wondering if anyone has modified the Mean Machine?

Zeta !

I made mine into a scaled down Centuri Aero Dart, 1970 version. I used one tube plus part of a second, and cut new fins from a sheet of balsa.
I had the idea that a MM might make an interesting design with length of about 1.5 tubes and the original fins.

After my stock MM took a nose dive on its maiden flight, I've rebuilt it with a few mods.

• Replaced the stock motor mount tube and added a motor retainer instead of the engine hook.
  • Rail buttons instead of launch lugs
  • Baffle between the top two body tubes.
  • Kevlar shock cord and thin mill 24" chute.
Nothing too exciting, but hopefully a better rocket.

I split mine in half, using a 4" balsa bulkhead in the base of the forward 2 tubes. Primarily to improve ejection pressure. I also installed 2 parachutes instead of 1. I think it was an 12" main and an 9" closer to the nosecone. Also used a long length of #100 kevlar instead of the standard shock cord.

I split mine in half, using a 4" balsa bulkhead in the base of the forward 2 tubes. Primarily to improve ejection pressure. I also installed 2 parachutes instead of 1. I think it was an 12" main and an 9" closer to the nosecone. Also used a long length of #100 kevlar instead of the standard shock cord.
I was thinking also about the air pressure of the long tubes involved with this rocket. Doing something down lower potentially. How did your modification work out in the end?

I was thinking also about the air pressure of the long tubes involved with this rocket. Doing something down lower potentially. How did your modification work out in the end?
I've been pretty happy with the mods. No issues so far.

It may be possible to convert the Mean Machine into HSR (horizontal spin recovery). With this method, you dispense with the parachute, and the rocket descends horizontally while rapidly spinning. It's quite bizarre to witness this, and audiences are often stunned. When this works right, the rocket returns to the launch pad in a series of compact spirals at approximately the same rate of descent as a parachute. However, the odds are there will be a learning curve, and the loss of one or more models.

It may be possible to convert the Mean Machine into HSR (horizontal spin recovery). With this method, you dispense with the parachute, and the rocket descends horizontally while rapidly spinning. It's quite bizarre to witness this, and audiences are often stunned. When this works right, the rocket returns to the launch pad in a series of compact spirals at approximately the same rate of descent as a parachute. However, the odds are there will be a learning curve, and the loss of one or more models.
Might need to have a rear-eject, or some kind of vented piston configuration to let the ejection charge out and still keep the rocket together. Then, make sure the rocket is balanced in a horizontal configuration with the spent engine. With slightly slanted fins, they will act like a waterwheel and introduce a spin. Not canted fins like for a spin on ascent, but slightly slanted in the same direction like at 80-deg instead of 90-deg to the body. When the rocket is falling horizontally the slanted fins will have a drag-bias to introduce a spin. Because of the extra fin drag on that end, might need to balance the rocket slightly nose-up? Could need some trial and error with the balance, not sure how easy you can do a ground "glide" test of that before a flight test.

I have seen a rocket descend that way by accident when the shock cord fails and the chute goes along with the nose. That would be pretty cool for a long rocket like the Mean Machine.

Might need to have a rear-eject, or some kind of vented piston configuration to let the ejection charge out and still keep the rocket together. Then, make sure the rocket is balanced in a horizontal configuration with the spent engine. With slightly slanted fins, they will act like a waterwheel and introduce a spin. Not canted fins like for a spin on ascent, but slightly slanted in the same direction like at 80-deg instead of 90-deg to the body. When the rocket is falling horizontally the slanted fins will have a drag-bias to introduce a spin. Because of the extra fin drag on that end, might need to balance the rocket slightly nose-up? Could need some trial and error with the balance, not sure how easy you can do a ground "glide" test of that before a flight test.

I have seen a rocket descend that way by accident when the shock cord fails and the chute goes along with the nose. That would be pretty cool for a long rocket like the Mean Machine.
Yes indeed, there are all kinds of new things to think about in the HRC system!

Please refer to my extensive thread in the Scratch Built forum, "Horizontal Spin Recovery - with Magnus Effect?"

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/horizontal-spin-recovery-with-magnus-effect.165378/

Back