Estes Mean Machine Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fattbank64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I remember seeing the Estes Mean Machine in their catalog in the late 70s and thought it looked cool. IIRC the tallest rocket was either the Centuri Arrow 300 or the Estes Andromeda in my fleet. So, my first build thread will be a Mean Machine almost a half-century later. Better late than never (HA!)

Initially, I planned to build as stock, but that would be exciting as watching cement dry. Then, perhaps, convert the kit from 24mm to 29mm with TTW fins. But instead, I decided to use this kit as a sounding rocket for dual deployment, ejection baffle, airbrush techniques, CAD, 3D printing, etc. In addition, it will be a trial run for future build threads.

I bought additional items from Apogee, Balsa Machining, Qualman Rocketry, and Rocketry Works.

The MM Fin Upgrade kit includes CR to fit LOC Precision heavy wall motor tube. Unfortunately, the CR ID is too large for the MMT. I've recently bought several LOC 29mm MMT, and none fit the CR. So I prepped the MMT with only a light sanding to scuff the outer surface. Next, I measured the MMT circumference with a tape measure. Then, I cut two strips of 24 lbs of copy paper and 20 lbs of copy paper to the length measured. Finally, I bonded the strips around the MMT at each CR location with Elmer's Multi-Purpose Glue-All (white glue).

20220414_194759.jpg

The BT-60 has tight spiral seams that require filling. So, I used 150-grit sandpaper to smooth everything. Then, I thinned the all-purpose wood filler until it had a milky consistency, applied it with a paintbrush, and let it dry after an hour. Finally, I used 220-grit to finish.

Attachments

• 20220414_194437.jpg
    20220414_194437.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 11
I remember seeing the Estes Mean Machine in their catalog in the late 70s and thought it looked cool. IIRC the tallest rocket was either the Centuri Arrow 300 or the Estes Andromeda in my fleet. So, my first build thread will be a Mean Machine almost a half-century later. Better late than never (HA!)

Initially, I planned to build as stock, but that would be exciting as watching cement dry. Then, perhaps, convert the kit from 24mm to 29mm with TTW fins. But instead, I decided to use this kit as a sounding rocket for dual deployment, ejection baffle, airbrush techniques, CAD, 3D printing, etc. In addition, it will be a trial run for future build threads.

I bought additional items from Apogee, Balsa Machining, Qualman Rocketry, and Rocketry Works.

The MM Fin Upgrade kit includes CR to fit LOC Precision heavy wall motor tube. Unfortunately, the CR ID is too large for the MMT. I've recently bought several LOC 29mm MMT, and none fit the CR. So I prepped the MMT with only a light sanding to scuff the outer surface. Next, I measured the MMT circumference with a tape measure. Then, I cut two strips of 24 lbs of copy paper and 20 lbs of copy paper to the length measured. Finally, I bonded the strips around the MMT at each CR location with Elmer's Multi-Purpose Glue-All (white glue).

View attachment 514254

The BT-60 has tight spiral seams that require filling. So, I used 150-grit sandpaper to smooth everything. Then, I thinned the all-purpose wood filler until it had a milky consistency, applied it with a paintbrush, and let it dry after an hour. Finally, I used 220-grit to finish.

I like a Mean Machine or similar at times. I owned one as a kid and built a few of the other variations on long/skinny/SuperRoc designs over the years. I actually don't have any now, but that is due to loss in trees (they drift a LOT even in low wind when built for nosecone election!!!) or destruction in transport.

I think the original (or at least 1980's version) was just nose ejection, but think other later versions were split roughly in half, but I'm not sure. Even if still just flying BP motors without electronics, the improvement in transportation would have been huge!

I think it is a great test bed for electronics and doing a baffle if nothing else. I look forward to seeing your other tweaks and am getting ready to go see how much BT60 (IIRC) I might have laying around. . .

Sandy.

I corrected a mistake. I forgot to install the music wire restraint in the forward end of the MMT. I noticed the cut lines were off-center because the tube cutting jig was not appropriately aligned. In addition, the epoxy bonded the motor casing to the MMT. Meh.

I replaced the LOC MMT with an Apogee MMT and cut 18” from the BM airframe. Next, the music wire was installed in a crosshair pattern and bonded with epoxy. Next, the aft CR was tacked with CYA and sprayed with an accelerant. Finally, it was glued to the MMT approximately 1/8” below the fin slots with wood glue. Then, I used the time-tested Popsicle stick-on-a-chopstick to apply epoxy inside the airframe. Everything dried overnight after installing the fins (wood glue) and the Estes motor retainer (epoxy).

20220419_120045.jpg20220424_191215.jpg

I installed the MMT, a tube coupler, and the plastic twist-connect coupler. I used the coupler from Balsa Machining because of its length and more substantial material. Next, I used angle iron to draw straight lines for the fin slots. Next, I used a new blade in the X-Acto to cut the slots. The slots were narrower than the fins, and I widened them with 220-grit sandpaper.

20220414_194522.jpg

Tube couplers from L to R (Estes, Apogee, Balsa Machining)

20220422_230651.jpg20220422_230619.jpg20220422_230627.jpg20220422_230634.jpg

Fin slots (Nos. 1-4)

Ejection Charge Baffle

I bonded both disks into the ends of the tube coupler with wood glue. Next, I coated the surface of the aft disk (towards the MMT) with epoxy to provide heat protection for the wood. It doesn’t matter which end you choose to be toward the MMT. When gluing the assembly into the airframe, ensure the aft bulkhead disk is at least one body caliber from the forward end of the MMT.

20220419_162047.jpg20220419_162037.jpg20220425_222423.jpg

I coated both disks IN CASE I FORGET.

Back