estes maxi streak clone build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gillard

Reaction score
Whilst i was looking for mosquite plans - other companies have copied the design exactly but in larger scales. i came across the sprint, which was a pre-curser to the mosquito.
The main difference is that the fins are more swept back, and have angular ends.
Later Estes released the maxi sprint. This was an upscale, but now the fin design was exactly the same as the mosquito, but still swept back.
It is BT 50 based, with the body tube being slightly longer than the BT50 upscale of the mosquito.
it was designed to fly on a D motor! which would put it very high.
Given the similarity to the mosquito, i have desided to clone this rocket and include it in the family. Only modification will be to change the mount to an 18mm mount, i thing this will be a nice low slow flyer on an A, and perform well on a C6-5.
and i could alway but an aerotech D13 in it if i wanted to!

https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/est1387.pdf

I have the decal.

Just drop me a PM. I'll get them to the UK.

great, was not going to bother trying to do the decal but if it's been done then it would be a shame not to complete the model, will be getting some other stuff off you as well, as the last lot of decals were great.

motor mount made in the usual way, but with a steel leader added to the mount, glues and taped in.

estes_maxi_streak_02.JPG

fins tacked on with CA get and then heavilt filleted three times with white wood glue.

estes_maxi_streak_03.JPG

That is such a clean simple build.

I wonder why it hasn't been done more?

after coating the fins with sanding filler, the body is painted red, went for metallic red, left one fin bare as that's going to be black as the art card suggests

estes_maxi_streak_04.JPG

I cloned a couple of these last year. Great flying rocket on D12-5's, and it get's some serious altitude. The fins get burned pretty bad up by the body. I used a metallic streamer, but I finally lost one after about ten flights, not bad.

I cloned a couple of these last year. Great flying rocket on D12-5's, and it get's some serious altitude. The fins get burned pretty bad up by the body. I used a metallic streamer, but I finally lost one after about ten flights, not bad.

the altitude for such a small rocket worried me, as i would have to use a streamer to see it again and those fins are the first point of contact. that's why i went for the 18mm mount in the end - so its not a real clone.

The fins are simple enough to duplicate. How about a different material?

Something more fireproof.

I built my fins using a 3/32" balsa core laminated with 1/64th plywood on each side. They are lightweight, and way more durable than just balsa.

To reduce the burn on the fin up by the motor, I put a small strip of alu tape on each fin. It worked great, and ended the problem.

love the MaxiStreak.
cloned one from a baby bertha kit and a little help from BMS.
maxistrk.jpg

BTW Gillard, did you ever finish my 4in V2?

love the MaxiStreak.
cloned one from a baby bertha kit and a little help from BMS.
maxistrk.jpg

BTW Gillard, did you ever finish my 4in V2?

built, but not finished, got to mask off and add the black and the decals whick i got for it from excelsiorrocketry. plan to fly it at the forst club launch of the year which is the 21st of feb. so i'll probably we busy on the 20th.

love your maxi streak, how did it fly, and on what motors?

That is such a clean simple build.

I wonder why it hasn't been done more?
Agreed. I've been contemplating adding it to my "To Clone" list, along with an upscaled, or Maxi, Scout. I'm glad that Gillard chose to highlight the design with this thread; it will give me the impetus to finally get going on building it and the ↑K-1. I'm also glad to know where I can get a decal for it. :)

MarkII

love your maxi streak, how did it fly, and on what motors?

arrow straight with all the aft fin area.
been a long time since she flew, but i'm pretty sure it was a D12-7(Estes).

i did get some charring on the inner fin surfaces. the aluminum tape sounds like a great idea.

arrow straight with all the aft fin area.
been a long time since she flew, but i'm pretty sure it was a D12-7(Estes).

i did get some charring on the inner fin surfaces. the aluminum tape sounds like a great idea.

D12-7 is the perfect motor, of the pad quick and keeps going!

Body masked off, and the one fin and nose cone sprayed black.
A length of elastic has been added to the fishing leader.
A swatch of nomex cloth being used as a heat shield.

estes_maxi_streak_05.JPG

Last edited:
providing the weather is okay, i should be able to send the streak skywards tomorrow - hopefully i'll get a photo of it in action, but i'm not great with a camera.
It is not finished yet, still got to order the decal from Gordy, doing that Monday.

providing the weather is okay, i should be able to send the streak skywards tomorrow - hopefully i'll get a photo of it in action, but i'm not great with a camera.
It is not finished yet, still got to order the decal from Gordy, doing that Monday.

Just try not to loose it before the decals arrive.;)

Just try not to loose it before the decals arrive.;)

only flying if the winds are low, no bigger than a B motor.
anyway, the universal law of rocketry states that only the best/most expensive/rare rockets will cato/lawn dart/drift; this is a cheap unfinished rocket, it will be alright for a few flights..........

so true,
reminds me of my friends first real work of love rocket, air brushed, custom parachute, upgrades on the recovery system cost more that the rocket............it looked amazing...................hanging in that tree............after its first flight, meanwhile his second hand alpha has spend more time in the air that a cloud. he has a true stunning Estes maxi brute V2, really nice, spent alot of money on the parachute and recovery upgrades and he's had it for about 6 years now.....too scared to fly it.

flew the maxi streak, went with A8-3, B6-4. C6-7.
the A8-3 is heart stopping, arches over and heads back down fast, the 3 second delay was more like 4 or 5.
The B and C flights were good, C gives it plenty of altitude. Apogee was at about 6 seconds on a C
streamer recovery on all three flights is fine used 4 foot or two inch wide mylar.

D flights must put this bird nearly out of sight.

estes_maxi_streak_7.JPG

estes_maxi_streak_8.JPG

estes_maxi_streak_9.JPG

estes_maxi_streak_10.JPG

Too cool! I see a new order to Semroc (and Excelsior) in my very near future... :D

MarkII

Actually, the Streak had two fin designs. I have built a Maxi-Streak myself. It is a BT-60, D12 powered rocket. I built it like I did the originals. With the straight cut, squared off design.

My first rocket came with the Estes Launcher that used four "D" size "photo" batteries(this was WAY before Alkaline batteries!) . You got the launcher, the batteries, an Astron Streak, and three A8-3 engines.

The Streak had a mylar body tube that had to be wrapped with paper so that glue would stick to it. The pattern you are using was called the competition pattern. I must have built two or three Streaks back in the day. Lost all of them.

Estes had a great marketing idea though. Sell a kid a rocket that he/she would loose with the engines provided. Great way to sell another kit.

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Builders

Back