estes maxi streak clone build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, the Streak had two fin designs. I have built a Maxi-Streak myself. It is a BT-60, D12 powered rocket. I built it like I did the originals. With the straight cut, squared off design.

My first rocket came with the Estes Launcher that used four "D" size "photo" batteries(this was WAY before Alkaline batteries!) . You got the launcher, the batteries, an Astron Streak, and three A8-3 engines.

The Streak had a mylar body tube that had to be wrapped with paper so that glue would stick to it. The pattern you are using was called the competition pattern. I must have built two or three Streaks back in the day. Lost all of them.

Estes had a great marketing idea though. Sell a kid a rocket that he/she would loose with the engines provided. Great way to sell another kit.

Andrew
Dark Lord Of The Scratch Builders
If you are going to build a BT-60 upscale of the Astron Streak, that's one thing. But if you are going to build a clone of the Estes Maxi Streak, then you will want to use the patterns for the #1387 kit. Often, Estes "Maxi" versions were not simple upscales.

Estes kit #1387 Maxi Streak ≠ upscaled Estes K-4 Astron Streak.

The Maxi Streak is a nifty design all by itself. It doesn't need to be exactly like a bigger version of the K-4.

MarkII

P. S.: A few questions, Andrew:

• Just who are these "Scratch Builders" that you are you a "Dark Lord" of?
  • And what makes you "dark?"
  • Finally, what legal authority granted you a Lordship? In case you hadn't heard, we don't recognize royal titles here in the good old US of A.
Also: this postscript was written in jest...

Last edited:
one of the reasons i built the maxi streak and not the astron streak was because when estes maxi- ied the streak was that they mosquitoed the fins with the rounded edge. It is the look of a mosquito that i think makes this lok cool.

The Dark Lord thing was my son's doing. It shows up on all forum posts. I have tried to figure out how he did it. A script I think.

But also I was born and spent my first 5 years in Birmingham, England.

God save the Queen!

Andrew

i came across the sprint, which was a pre-curser to the mosquito.

Streak...

I've always liked the Maxi Streak but while it was out I never lived anyplace that I could fly it and get it back! After seeing this thread I might try to do a Maxi Maxi Streak and scale it up to a BT-80.

Nice build!

Streak...

I've always liked the Maxi Streak but while it was out I never lived anyplace that I could fly it and get it back! After seeing this thread I might try to do a Maxi Maxi Streak and scale it up to a BT-80.

Nice build!

Then you could just buy a Madcow Mozzie, they fly great.

The Dark Lord thing was my son's doing. It shows up on all forum posts. I have tried to figure out how he did it. A script I think.

But also I was born and spent my first 5 years in Birmingham, England.

God save the Queen!

Andrew
All is explained now... :cool: :)

As for American aristocracy, well... I've been known to be a royal PITA. :rolleyes: :eek:

MarkII

The original Maxi-Streak used the Estes D11-9 motor. I think it was around 1990 when I lost mine to the wind&tree gods.

-john

The original Maxi-Streak used the Estes D11-9 motor. I think it was around 1990 when I lost mine to the wind&tree gods.

-john
Totally consistent with Streak tradition! :roll:

MarkII

My Maxi streak decal arrived from excelsiorrocketry today, looks nice and crisp.
Will apply it today or tomorrow and post pictures when its done.

I'm halfway through finishing the SpaceCad file and review for EMRR and have notice that the instructions call for the Maxi Streak to be painted orange and not red.
I went with red because i got the instructions from Jimz's site and that shows a picture of a red rocket (although it seems that from the other Maxi Streaks posted, other peope have also done the same). The plans on ye olde rocket plans has a picture of the Maxi Streak in orange.
Given that Gordy has said that some others have bought the Maxi Streak decal, what did everyone else paint their rockets? if anyone painted it orange would you post a picture?

I'm halfway through finishing the SpaceCad file and review for EMRR and have notice that the instructions call for the Maxi Streak to be painted orange and not red.
I went with red because i got the instructions from Jimz's site and that shows a picture of a red rocket (although it seems that from the other Maxi Streaks posted, other peope have also done the same). The plans on ye olde rocket plans has a picture of the Maxi Streak in orange.
Given that Gordy has said that some others have bought the Maxi Streak decal, what did everyone else paint their rockets? if anyone painted it orange would you post a picture?

Orange is a funny color...not just because nothing rhymes with orange.;)

Color printers and monitors always seem to have trouble interpreting orange.

Absolutely brilliant thread. Reminds me why I like LPR so much:)
Thanks
fred

Once I commit myself to making a Maxi Streak I know what will happen. I'll sell out the decal, print more and sell them out.

I've pretty much given up on my Der Grosser Vati!

Every time I print a set for myself it gets sold before I can use it.

I even tried printing 3 at once...you guessed it...sold all three.

Once I commit myself to making a Maxi Streak I know what will happen. I'll sell out the decal, print more and sell them out.

I've pretty much given up on my Der Grosser Vati!

Every time I print a set for myself it gets sold before I can use it.

I even tried printing 3 at once...you guessed it...sold all three.

Wanted to Thank you for Maxi Streak decal you sent me a couple of weeks ago.

picture.php

That's nice, the orange gives it a crisper look. Did you build it with a 24mm mount?

Gillard yes i built with a 24mm mount, I used Valspar gloss orange. I need to fin d a bigger flying field to see how flies on a D12-5. Yours turned out great.

Looks great :)

I have three of these, all original kits - my personal restored one can be seen in photo below ( thought I had a close-up pic but could not find one on the drive ) .

the other two I have from an ebay purchase - note ALL were built with squared off fins, not rounded.

After seeing yours, I think I will be rounding off the fins on the other two - this one stays as it's finished and nostalgic ;)

flies great on D12-7, I;ve never flown on anything else. just 2" crepe streamer recovery and she keeps coming back :p

~ AL
alsbirdsmay12.jpg

i turned up at the local launch meeting today to find another member had a maxi streak, so we had a drag race. used a cluster whip, but his was off the pad about a second and a half before mine.

drag race loser.jpg

Back