Estes Maxi-brute V 2.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacktango22

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Recently retired and back into this on a true addict level. :)

I want to rebuild rockets of my youth and I finally found the Estes V2 I wanted on EBay at reasonable price. Crazy pricing on this kit.

Anyway, any suggestions about aftermarket parts, up-building (maybe use a 29 mm motor tube), or the like would be appreciated.

All the Maxi-Brutes have crazy pricing. I want a Honest John that I'll likely never get.

There's a thread on here in the scale forum I think that has very scale builds of the Maxi-Brute V-2.

-Bob

I just broke down and bought one off E(vil) bay as well. Original '74 packaging with the Swastika on the front. Still in the shrink wrap. Perhaps we bought from the same place, I think he had something like 6 available. Yes the price was kinda stupid but I have wanted one for, like, 30 years. I want to do TTW fins and a 29mm mount but the process of deciding on a paint scheme has not yet begun.

Andrew

I built my Maxi Brute V2 stock. Except I filed the fwd end of the motor clip down so that the powder cap of an AT 24/40 motor would poke through .

The stock fins are good enough. Keep it light.

E9 isn't enough motor, so I flew mine on F12-3s. It is retired now.

When I build them I fill the fins with the expanding foam insulation stuff that comes in spray cans. Fill each half of the fin and allow to expand and dry then sand flat and glue together. Makes for a very strong yet exptremely light weight fin that will handle higher power motors. Then use a 29 mm mount and you can easily fly on G ( and maybe higher) motors.

My kit came and I have a question. It has Balsa fins only, not vacuform fins. Was there a shift in production between the two fin types at some point?

I think I will “paper” the balsa fins and use them that way.

My kit came and I have a question. It has Balsa fins only, not vacuform fins. Was there a shift in production between the two fin types at some point?

I think I will “paper” the balsa fins and use them that way.
Estes made a smaller kit as well with balsa fins.
BT-80, IIRC.
The Maxi-Brute had a BT-101 airframe.

Huh, I didn't think the Maxi-Brute V2 ever came with balsa fins, but that's the one Maxi-Brute I've not built, so am not 100% sure.

The Maxi-V2 has kit #1952 and is 4" diameter (#1267 may be an earlier version of the #1952 boxed set that I have), the BT-80 (2.6" dia) sized kit is #3228, and there is also a #1904 V2 that is BT-80 sized as well. Both 4" versions have vacuformed fins, all others balsa I believe.

When I build them I fill the fins with the expanding foam insulation stuff that comes in spray cans. Fill each half of the fin and allow to expand and dry then sand flat and glue together. Makes for a very strong yet exptremely light weight fin that will handle higher power motors. Then use a 29 mm mount and you can easily fly on G ( and maybe higher) motors.
On both the V-2 and HoJo, I glued the fin halves together, then drilled 2 holes in the fin root so I could inject 2-part foam into the fin. I injected foam right after mixing, before it started expanding. You need the holes to give the (over) expanding foam a place to escape. Worked out great-fins were solid when finished.

Jack - I’d like to know what you got. If eBay dude advertised a Maxi and sent you the regular 2.6 version I’d like to sic the virtual hounds on them. Then smack him upside his virtual head with some sharply worded feedback.

Forgot photos

Attachments

• EE895FD6-5351-4B62-8E6C-DA03AF3C3C6B.jpeg
    EE895FD6-5351-4B62-8E6C-DA03AF3C3C6B.jpeg
    903.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 99F8BBA6-02AC-4142-A4B9-A04EF6055EB7.jpeg
    99F8BBA6-02AC-4142-A4B9-A04EF6055EB7.jpeg
    919.6 KB · Views: 2
I'll be happy when Estes brings this one back.
2.6 or 4in

I can scratch build a 2.6" V2 from available Estes parts.

I'd really enjoy getting another 4 inch V2, and a HoJo, and a Pershing... Heck, if I am dreaming, let's imagine they do it with Pro Series II quality parts! wow.

sorry to steer the thread but I think a lot of rocketeer jaws would drop if the new Estes catalog had all the Maxi Brutes listed :D

BTW, how can you scratch build a 2.6in V2 with Estes parts? where do you get the boat tail?

BTW, how can you scratch build a 2.6in V2 with Estes parts? where do you get the boat tail?
Boat tail is another nose cone! Trim off the tip so an 18mm MMT just clears through the hole.

I put a length of BT20 on the tip of the nose cone, and
use that to mark where to cut; cut slightly back from there.

Ah, good idea with the BT20.
So we need nose cones. direct from Estes? I don't see NC-80K's on Amazon..

Back