3D Printing Estes Maxi-Brute Pershing 1A

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbrent

Reaction score
Hello fellow modelers,
I was wondering if anyone has either scanned or modeled the styrene parts (nosecone, fins, etc...) for the old Estes Maxi-Brute Pershing 1A (Kit# 1268)? The nosecone would probably have to be a 2 piece print (or maybe 3 if you wanted to print it on an SLA printer (note that the 3.938" diameter would fit on an Elegoo Saturn or Anycubic Photon build plate).

Thanks,
Don

That's exactly what I was looking for!
Thanks Leo...

Is it exactly a match with the Estes? I'm never sure how accurate Estes scale claims were.

They match with the official dimensions. However I have also added larger fin versions (same as Estes) for better flight stability.

This is really fantastic!!! Can I just make a couple of suggestions to make the nosecone a little more resin printer friendly...
1. Taper the bottom plate of the nosecone base into a shallow convex cone with a flattened tip (or maybe this could be an alternate version for resin printers since the flat base is an advantage for FDM printers). This could then be supported and would be a lot easier on the FEP not to mention a lot easier to get off of the build plate. It's really too tall to print at an angle as you might normally do with a flat base.
2. Leave the solid bulkhead off of the top of the nosecone base entirely (this would help with both types of printers as it would currently be a pretty long bridge span on an FDM printer). It's also going to trap a lot of resin since it cannot drain.

OK, so when I wrote the above post, I didn't really understand completely how Chitubox (or setting up a multi-part SLA print) works. I'm basically retracting the entire comment. All of the modifications I suggested are part of the standard workflow for setting up a resin print in the slicer. You can (and are expected to) hollow out the model and drill your own holes wherever you want and whatever size you want prior to slicing. Also, printing it flat was absolutely no issue and was not stressing the FEP at all (again, this was my inexperience talking). The only modification I did ask for (and Leo kindly obliged) was to break the top portion into 2 pieces because it was a smidge too tall for the Saturn's build window. Anyway, with that done, I'm just about finished printing this on my Elegoo Saturn (in 4 parts) and will post some pictures when I get it completed. It's a beautiful model and it's coming out quite nice.

Last edited:
Back