Estes Maxi Alpha III?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought my Maxi-Alpha III in 1987 - broken 1 fin off,easy repair.It had gotten so old body tubes got kind of soft which led to a short zipper.
Replaced upper body tube and shock cord mount. Loved this rocket,may it rest in peace-was lost 2 weeks ago at demo launch for after school
program. Will have to buy another. Oh during the repairs,I did epoxy fillets on fins. Don't know how they worked,school launch was first flight
with repairs made. It did look good going up.

... The MAIII flys well on E9 motors and I haven't broken a fin yet (it's flown 2-3 times so far). It all depends on your recovery area ...

Hi Greg;

I quite agree. The Maxi Alpha III was one of the first ships I had built to fly 'E' impulse; I had great success with E15/E30 composites, and always enjoyed the flight profile. It's just a great flyer. Alas, my MA III eventually came in sideways due to a tangled chute, and that resulted in a snapped fin.

That just provided the impetus to clone one with less breakable fins. My clone below has 1/8" birch ply fins, and accumulated more than 20 flights before I decided to retire her. I've always enjoyed this model, and I'll have to build another just for the flying fun.

John

The new Maxi-Alpha III is a re-issue of the original. I have a clone of MA as well as the new MAIII. I like both. The MAIII flys well on E9 motors and I haven't broken a fin yet (it's flown 2-3 times so far). It all depends on your recovery area - I fly in a dairy farm pasture so the grass tends to cushion most all landings. If you are flying in a park or school yard, it might be different.

I also agree that the recovery area is important,farms are awesome,I prefer sod if possible ,no cow patties Lol .
Gpoe, Which model weighs more,I has the original in the 70's too but have no idea. The balsa was an easier build,the fin can is more work for a beginner. Did anyone who built this notice the motor tube installed as measured barley reaches the aft support ring? All aside it flies great,an looks great too.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Back