Estes Mammoth PSII E2X: a little kit bashing.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tab28682

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Picked up a Estes Mammoth PSII E2X kit during the sale. Desided to bash it a little bit. The stock gold color tube and decals had to go (shudder)....:)

Not doing a lot of mods. I cut the upper body tube in half and made it a payload section. Put the other half in the spares box, as I like the look of the model better with the 3/4 over all length of the body tube.

I drilled a small hole through both of the molded plastic centering rings and used 300lb Kevlar to make a replaceable shock cord mount that lashes around the motor mount tube below the lower centering ring and above the Estes 29mm motor retainer.

Will post some pictures soon. It is assembled and in primer with some filler drying on the tube spirals. I sanded down the gold colored tube and primer appears to be gripping nicely.

Leaning towards either a super simple military olive drab paint scheme with US Army stencils in white, ala the Little John missile, or perhaps a WAC Corporal style color scheme.

Will use this and the new Trajector as test models for the 1.6-2.2" tube diameter version of the RC Chute Sled.

Last edited:
I've always wondered what differentiates the Pro Series II E2X from the builder sets. Do they have easier fin cans or motor mounts?

Plastic CRs & fins that mostly snap together, pre-finished BTs & NCs.

All the PSII E2X fins are much like the PSII Nike Smoke fins. Injection molded plastic with locating pins and some grooved slots for perfect alignment of the fin halves.

The fin roots fit into notches in the plastic centering rings and the body tubes are pre-slotted.

While everything only fits one way, it does not actually snap together. The plastic joints have to be bonded.

While everything only fits one way, it does not actually snap together. The plastic joints have to be bonded.

A year and a half ago, I probably would have been interested in that construction, but now that I've learned more construction techniques for high-power, I like the freedom to deviate from plans and make modifications as necessary. Glad its not snap-lock. Unless it was metal fasteners, I'm not sure I'd want snap joints on my rocket.

The mammoth has a great shape profile. If you go OD green, you could paint the tip red with a white band for Armor Piercing Incendiary:)

I do like that conical nose cone.

Agreed, just an appealing profile all the way around. Can I just add that I think Estes and their Chief Designer are on quite the roll ?!?!!! RTFs, ARFs, and builders kits, Oh My ! SAAAA-LUTE !

Agreed, just an appealing profile all the way around. Can I just add that I think Estes and their Chief Designer are on quite the roll ?!?!!! RTFs, ARFs, and builders kits, Oh My ! SAAAA-LUTE !

I will back you on that, for sure.

This nose cone is basically a 2" Interceptor nose cone minus all the scale details and canopy. Has it been used on any other model? It does not ring a bell with me, but others have more encyclopedic knowledge of Estes parts used in Estes kits than I do.

The nose cone looks like the same one that they use in the Mystic EX2 kit, only not chrome. I kitbashed a Mystic into a sounding rocket look and did this with the NC:

IMG_20161008_111801.jpgIMG_20161008_111749.jpgIMG_20161008_111655.jpg

I was looking for one of these this time last year as a Christmas present to my son but couldn't find one at the local Hobby Lobby's. No matter, we're essentially working on a 4" fiberglass upscale with a 75mm motor mount and boat tail. I totally dig conical nose cones and I think the boat tail will really set it off :).

I was looking for one of these this time last year as a Christmas present to my son but couldn't find one at the local Hobby Lobby's. No matter, we're essentially working on a 4" fiberglass upscale with a 75mm motor mount and boat tail. I totally dig conical nose cones and I think the boat tail will really set it off :).

They are just 18.99 on the Estes sale right now, but I have not checked stock lately.

I remember you talking about a 4" WAC Corporal with the correct conical cone and boat tail...is that the 4" you are working on?

You picked up on my penchant for conical nose cones :). This one is mostly a kit with some mods. I could easily make a WAC Corporal out of it now that you mention it... What to do, what to do....

Was going to work on the Short Mammoth last night, but spent the time replacing a broken screen on my Kindle Fird HDX tablet instead. Picked up a new LCD and digitizer assembly on EBay. A bit tedious, but not a terrible job and all came out well.

Here is a pic of the shortened Mammoth next to my new Trajector for comparison.

(Going to have to rename this thing....hate the name Mammoth and it is not so Mammoth any more.)

image.jpg

Last edited:
If you're a fan of Dr Strange, Paint it black with grey stripes, two purple eyes, and call it Dormmamuth!:dark:

Back